Needless Dominican Deaths

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
For anyone not noticing, the thread is going off course.
Nals, if there is anyone in this thread hijacking, it is you. Please re-read the ORIGINAL POST. It talked about:

The polution entering the air by cars and motorcycles in such disgraceful condition is bringing premature death to thousands of Dominicans.

Not Saharan sand, not dust, not the DR's geography.

If you don't want to address the issue raised by the original poster, than refrain from posting. But further attempts by you or any other to go off on tangents from the OP's topic will be deleted, as per DR1 rules.

L

LarrySpencer

Keith R said:
No, let's talk about the Dominican Republic, not California.

The Environment Forum Moderator

Yes, let's talk about the Dominican Republic.

Much of the gasoline in the Dominican Republic is imported from the United States, from the same refineries that provide gasoline for much of the east coast of the US, so comparing the two fuels in not a far stretch. And saying that fuel prices will definately increase if they put more efforts into providing cleaners fuel is also not a far stretch.

It is a fact that everytime they do something different with fuel, the cost is passed on to the consumers. I don't think there is a person in the world that could argue that point. Welcome to capitalis!

Therefore, using California as a prime example of what will happen if they begin enforcement like this is clearly legitimate...call it an anology if you will.

As far as the asthma topic....I will gracefully bow out of that discussion with this. Yes, it is true that air pollution can have an adverse effect on one's health. Air polution is closely related to poor running automobiles, but mostly industry, fires, and small engines. Automobiles, but their very design tend to not polute as much as the aformentioned, however do give off much pollution. Not to mention the pollution released through poor maintenance, it, oil and other fluids leaking...these find their way into aquifers, oceans, rivers, lakes and streams.

Another leading cause of air pollution is the creation of electricity. Tons of air pollution are created in order to produce just a few kWh electricity. There are so many factors involved that blaming it only on cars is the furthest stretch one can take, although I agree that they are a portion of the problem.

Until the next topic.....I'm out.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LarrySpencer said:

Much of the gasoline in the Dominican Republic is imported from the United States, from the same refineries that provide gasoline for much of the east coast of the US, so comparing the two fuels in not a far stretch.

Interesting claim. Can you back it up with a reliable source? There is a paucity of good stats regarding the DR's trade, but I'd like to know where I can find such detailed information. Always willing to learn!

However, my understanding has always been that the great majority of gasoline consumed in the DR is from imported crude refined by the single government refinery complex, Refindomsa. According to the latest posted stats from Refindomsa, over 60% of their imported crude comes from Mexico, 15-18% from Venezuela, and the rest from "others."

So, unless I can find more reliable stats, yes, your assumption is open to question.

And saying that fuel prices will definately increase if they put more efforts into providing cleaners fuel is also not a far stretch.

Of course it's not. Who said otherwise? What I said is that you cannot compare Dominican costs with Californian costs, as you were doing. Heck, you cannot compare Californian costs with East Coast costs! The DR has a single refinery complex, geared to certain crude, in all likelihood different from that used for the California market. The DR market size and composition is different. The cost of labor and energy is different. And no one should assume that the DR will immediately shift to California norms for fuel quality! Heck, even Europe is only just getting to that point.

It is a fact that everytime they do something different with fuel, the cost is passed on to the consumers. I don't think there is a person in the world that could argue that point. Welcome to capitalis!

As I said, I don't think anyone suggested differently. It was just your choice of cost structures which was called into question.

Therefore, using California as a prime example of what will happen if they begin enforcement like this is clearly legitimate...call it an anology if you will.

But they are not analogous. I suggested, Costa Rica's cost and market structure might be analogous to the DR, but not California's. Maybe even Puerto Rico's cost structure might be analogous, although I would point out that PR still has to comply with EPA dictates, and as I said, no one thinks or argues that the DR will approximate EPA standards anytime soon.

So your choice of line of argument is not clearly legitimate, if legitimate at all. It is, in fact, dubious.

As far as the asthma topic....I will gracefully bow out of that discussion with this. Yes, it is true that air pollution can have an adverse effect on one's health. Air polution is closely related to poor running automobiles, but mostly industry, fires, and small engines. Automobiles, but their very design tend to not polute as much as the aformentioned, however do give off much pollution. Not to mention the pollution released through poor maintenance, it, oil and other fluids leaking...these find their way into aquifers, oceans, rivers, lakes and streams.

Again, you are talking about air pollution in the US, and my guess is, Southern California at that. Your lack of knowledge of DR conditions, or refusal to use that knowledge in this thread, is showing. For example, large numbers of vehicles -- automobiles, buses, trucks, motorcycles -- in the DR tend to be older models without the wonderful design you mention. And many imports have their catalytic converters disabled by their owners in the name of better gas mileage -- just ask on the board, they'll tell you. Those that do not remove or disable them remove them when they go bad, rather than pay to replace them. There is thriving market in this in the DR -- I know from talking to mechanics during my years living there. And as for maintenance of the pollution control systems -- HA!

I have been consistently told by government officials and environmental engineers that industry emissions are a relatively small component of air pollution in Santo Domingo and Santiago, the two main population centers. The reason being is that the industries most likely to produce air discharges of significance are absent in the DR economy. Again, if you have data on the DR that suggests otherwise, I welcome it.

Fires are intermittingly a factor, as I indicated with my reference to the Duquesa burning, but they are not the regular component you suggest. Perhaps in Southern Calif. they are, but not in Santo Domingo.

If by small engines you are referring to plantas, then I agree, and this was mentioned by the OP and others as a contributing factor. But if you meant lawnmowers and other two-cycle engines (as is the case for VOC emissions in the Air District in S. Calif.), you are off the mark with regard to the Dominican market & environment.

Another leading cause of air pollution is the creation of electricity. Tons of air pollution are created in order to produce just a few kWh electricity. There are so many factors involved that blaming it only on cars is the furthest stretch one can take, although I agree that they are a portion of the problem.

I'll grant you the point about electricity generation. Some of the generating plants are doubtless significant contributors -- in their locales. Whether the ones located outside SD but providing the SD grid have their discharges blown over the city, I cannot say with any certainty and I doubt you can either.

I understood what the original poster meant because I have had to sit through more traffic jams in the DR than I can count, and what I breathed in made me, my daughter and other asthmatics sick. It wasn't too bad while I had the air conditioning running. But when it broke down and I had to travel around town with the windows down all the time for a couple of weeks, the difference it made on the lungs of myself and my daughter was significant and clear. Same for when I was at home in my relatively quiet neighborhood. To argue that vehicle (notice I say vehicle, not just automobile) emissions are not a leading contributor in the DR to air pollution and concomitant health problems is, frankly, to deny the Dominican reality.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Keith R said:
However, my understanding has always been that the great majority of gasoline consumed in the DR is from imported crude refined by the single government refinery complex, Refindomsa. According to the latest posted stats from Refindomsa, over 60% of their imported crude comes from Mexico, 15-18% from Venezuela, and the rest from "others."

And in fact the Venezuelan crude is of such high sulfur content, it cannot be imported to the US.

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
The commentary observed in this discussion indicates interest in finding ways for us to breath clean air, and maintain our health. To introduce into this topic so many other inadequacies in the DR is OK. We cannot prioritize by claiming what should be number 1 or 2. Progress is necessary in education, which is so lacking that our children are for all practical purposes not being educated. Medical Care & Hospitals are in dire need of emergency ¨first aid¨due to corrupted elected officials who simply do not care. Just yesterday an international organization published the 10 most corrupt Countries, which included Chad in Africa, and our neighbor Haiti. The DR fell just out of the top 10, but to many the DR is corrupt beyond description. That my friends is the reason that the DR is still classified as a 3rd world country with a disastrous education system, no postal service, unreliable electric service, thieves running the banks, police involved in drugs & auto theft, a failing health care program, dirty water and air we must drink and breath into our bodies. And two political parties who vie to outdo each others courrupt conduct. Our ¨leaders¨fail to recognize the 50 Domincans who drowned this week while trying to enter Puerto Rico, or the 150 Dominicans who were arrested while on a boat for Puerto Rico. Our ¨leader¨is more concerned with an island off the Malecone, or subway that will cost billions.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Conchman said:
I thought the US gets a percentage of its oil from Venezuela, I am sure I read that somewhere recently.
Yes, but a better grade than is imported into the DR. In fact a recent shipment from Venezuela to the DR was found to be even too inferior for DR standards and was rejected at the port.

L

LarrySpencer

Good afternoon fellow DR1ers

Keith, I thought about you yesterday when I pulled into a Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-through behind a vehicle with grey exhaust pouring out from it's tailpipe. I didn't have asthma before, but I'm not far from it now.

Let's go over what we have been discussing. Yes, Keith, you are correct in your statement regarding oil, including imported oil when it is in regards to the Government owned portion of the oil business, which accounts for 50%. The other 50% is Shell (England). The US run companies include Texaco, now Chevron/Texaco, and Esso Standard, also known as Exxon. At this time, their market share is unknown, at least until I recieve results back from Texaco.

Yes, Chavez has certainly done his part in making importing oil from Venezuela as appealing as possible. His fuel is running somewhere around $40 per barrel, as opposed to the US's $65-70. In addition he has sweetened the deal by making it possible for governments to pay with other commodities such as kidney beans, which the Dominican is more than able to provide.

Has anyone ever stopped to think why fuel in the Dominican Republic is more expensive than in the US, especially if they are only paying $40 per barrel, or through trade? This touches on Porfilio's discussion of corruption, I'm sure....or just the fact that if you're the only game in town you can pretty much charge whatever you want...back to the capitalism thing....

What I said is that you cannot compare Dominican costs with Californian costs, as you were doing. Heck, you cannot compare Californian costs with East Coast costs!

My point was never to compare the Dominican costs with California costs directly, but rather to demonstrate what happened with prices in California when they went to cleaner fuels. What you were suggesting for the Dominican Republic will have the same affect on prices, it will drive them up even more. And like I said earlier, if I were to compare prices, I would actually have to raise the price California pays just to make it match the price paid in the Dominican Republic for 1 gallon of gas...by the way, we just dropped down to $2.70 per gallon in Modesto. That's what, about 85DP?

Again, you are talking about air pollution in the US, and my guess is, Southern California at that. Your lack of knowledge of DR conditions, or refusal to use that knowledge in this thread, is showing. For example, large numbers of vehicles -- automobiles, buses, trucks, motorcycles -- in the DR tend to be older models without the wonderful design you mention. And many imports have their catalytic converters disabled by their owners in the name of better gas mileage -- just ask on the board, they'll tell you. Those that do not remove or disable them remove them when they go bad, rather than pay to replace them.

This is unbelieveable! Could you imagine someone actually disabling the smog system on a vehicle? Removing smog pumps, belts, sensors, valves, catalytic converter, removing manifold tubes and then cutting and welding to make them fit for bypassing? Like I said, unbelieveable....someone might just be able to get a little more power out of a vehicle, or at least a little more gas mileage if there did that! Of course it's a big business, much bigger in the states, though. Especially with all these street racers and drifters.

Yes, the vehicles in the DR tend to be old and spew out a lot of exhaust...I've already agreed with that. Fires...I'm not talking about forest fires. It may not happen as often in Santo Domingo, but in other regions people burn their trash, creating and releasing a wide variety of pollutants into the air.

Yes, by small engines I mean plantas and various implements...chainsaws, etc., but definately not lawnmowers. I know there couldn't possibly be a single one in the entire DR. Don't limit yourself, I'm talking about ALL small engines, whether they be in generators, tools, pumps, go carts, light stands, etc. The combined activity of all is what I refer to.

Ok....Now I know that there is an unwritten rule somewhere that reads something like: When one conceads an argument, it's best to just accept and keep one's opinions to themselves from that point on....

More Reasons:

Heat Waves and Asthma - http://blogs.health.yahoo.com/experts/asthma/58/heat-waves-and-asthma
Posted by Franklin Adkinson, M.D.
on Thu, Aug 04, 2005, 8:25 pm PDT Post a Comment
As I endure this sweltering heat wave in Baltimore and read about the heat-related deaths in Arizona, I?m reminded of how asthma can be triggered by protracted heat and all that it brings. It?s not so much the heat itself but the air inversions that result from heat waves that aggravate asthma. These inversions, in which a layer of warm air is trapped by cooler air above, can increase the amount of toxic air pollutants by more than tenfold.

These harmful oxidants and particles make breathing even harder for persons with asthma and other chronic respiratory conditions -- not because there are more allergens in the air, but because anything that increases the twitchiness of the airways can increase our sensitivity to what we are allergic to, like Grandma?s cat, dust mites, or molds (tends to grow where it is damp).

If you have asthma and wonder when it?s all going to end, stay in air-conditioned comfort as much as possible and get your exercise in the swimming pool or at an air-conditioned gym. Your local weather channel?s air pollution alert can give you daily updates about the quality of the air you can expect in your community. And stay ahead of the game by drinking lots of fluids. Heat and all that comes with it can kill. Hot weather deserves healthy respect, especially from people with heart and lung diseases.

What are asthma triggers?

An asthma trigger is a factor that can decrease lung function and lead to sudden difficulty breathing (acute asthma episode). When you are around a trigger, you are at increased risk for an asthma episode. A severe episode may mean you have to go to the hospital.

Some triggers are substances you may be allergic to (allergens). Allergens cause the body's natural defenses (immune system) to produce chemicals called immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. These chemicals bind to allergens, causing inflammation of the bronchial tubes. The allergen may also cause asthma episodes. Triggers may include:

House dust mites.
Cockroaches.
Animal dander.
Indoor mold.
Pollen.
Other triggers can cause asthma symptoms without affecting the body's immune system. These include:

Cigarette smoke and air pollution.
Viral infections, such as colds and flu, and sinus and other upper respiratory infections.
Exercise. Many people with asthma have symptoms when they exercise.
Dry, cold air.
Strong expressions of emotion, such as laughing or crying.
Medications, such as aspirin.
In adults, hormones, including those involved in pregnancy and menstrual periods (just before or during periods).
Gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD). Some experts debate whether GERD makes asthma worse. Studies have shown conflicting results as to whether GERD triggers asthma. 1

Yes, it includes air pollution - Ban the vehicles, besides, walking is much better for us anyways!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Larry,
Yes, Shell owns part of the refinery. So what? But that does not change the source of the DR's gasoline. The Refindomsa refinery refines what the DR imports, and what the DR imports is mostly crude from Mexico and Venezuela; just because Shell is a Dutch-British congolmerate (not just English, as you say), does not mean that 50% of the oil refined by Refindomsa is Dutch or British sourced, does it? The Shell comment frankly has nothing to do anything in this discussion.

So, it seems, you cannot back up your prior contention that most of the gasoline sold in the DR is from East Coast US refineries. I suspected as much.:rolleyes:

Petroven may own Citgo, but that also has nothing to do with the DR whatsoever. BTW, FYI, Venezuela sought an exemption from EPA blending rules so that Citgo would not be put at a competitive disadvantage in the US market. It seems that Venezuelan-based refineries could not handle Citgo demand for gasoline meeting EPA specs, and would have to actually source their gasoline from other refineries. So even if Venezuela was directly shipping finished gasoline to the DR, I somehow suspect that it would not meet Californian fuel standards.

Actually, you did try to argue that comparing the cost impact of regulatory measures in California to what regulatory measures in the DR would cost was a reasonable comparison. And I repeat, too many factors differ to make it a meaningful comparison. Yeah, sure, regulatory measures impose costs. We all knew that without the California example. But if we're going to discuss probable magnitude of the cost impact, California is not the analogy to pick.

Incredible or not, sensible or not, emissions systems are disabled in Dominican workshops daily in large numbers. Just another Dominican reality.

Yes, I agree about the trash burning, and in fact have mentioned that factor several times in this same thread.

As for small motors, I think you'll find that there are not that many power saws, go carts and the like in the DR -- probably not much more than there are lawnmowers, which are few and far between. In all likelihood, backdoor BBQ's emit more VOCs than these put together -- the plantas aside, that is. They are a pollution category unto themselves.

Yes, there are many factors going into asthma. But of these, which has increased dramatically over the last ten years, right along with the dramatic uptick in asthma cases in Santo Domingo? You guessed it: ambient air pollution, of which vehicle emissions are a leading contributor. A direct correlation? I can't prove it yet. No decent studies by environmental health authorities, although I am told some are planned with help from PAHO/WHO. Hope so. I think the data might shake some policymakers into thinking twice about the consequences of inaction, but then again, I tend to be an optimist.

No one has argued that cars be banned, Larry. No need to be so melodramatic. There are plenty of cost-effective options that other Latin American nations are trying, some with success. It would be difficult to adapt them to the Dominican realities, but I think not impossible or cost-prohibitive. It's do-able if there is the vision, political will and determination to attempt it.

My dos centavos,
Keith

L

LarrySpencer

Well, I think we've exhausted this subject. What's the verdict? Are many children dying premature deaths due to vehicle emissions?

1. Where are the numbers to support this.
2. Where is the direct link to show that this is the exact cause?

I agree that something definately needs to be done to curb the problem with pollutants in the air, and I think the government has taken a great step by limiting the age of vehicles imported into the Dominican Republic. What more can me done is yet to be seen. The old cars will die off and the imported cars will be older with altered smog systems and we will be right back in the same boat.

It's quite fine to argue and complain about the subject, but who is actually going to do something about it?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LarrySpencer said:
Well, I think we've exhausted this subject. What's the verdict? Are many children dying premature deaths due to vehicle emissions?

1. Where are the numbers to support this.
2. Where is the direct link to show that this is the exact cause?

Evidently you did not bother to read my post:

A direct correlation? I can't prove it yet. No decent studies by environmental health authorities, although I am told some are planned with help from PAHO/WHO. Hope so. I think the data might shake some policymakers into thinking twice about the consequences of inaction, but then again, I tend to be an optimist.

It is amusing to find someone demanding numbers and links to support contentions who himself has made several assertions -- such as regarding the source of and quality of gasoline sold in the DR - I'm still waiting for the proof that it comes predominantly from East Coast US -- that he himself cannot back up when questioned.

It's quite fine to argue and complain about the subject, but who is actually going to do something about it?

I agree. Any suggestions that might work in a Dominican context?

L

LarrySpencer

While I respect and even agree with many of your opinions, I believe that you have taken me out of context at times. Yes, I have no proof on the numbers, and in fact am realizing that there aren't many numbers and was incorrect. However, you have missed the boat on many occassions, and this has happened from our first discussions when I wais not to just on the overreactionist's bandwagon and you accused me of calling you an overreactionist.

1. I was not looking for your direct correlations, as you did not start this thread. I was looking for those of Profolio, who stated, "The polution entering the air by cars and motorcycles in such disgraceful condition is bringing premature death to thousands of Dominicans."

2. I find it amusing that someone so intent on picking apart each of my words has substituted my words from "much", to his own "most" and "predominately," when I never once used these words. As well as east coast. I said the same who supply the east coast, meaning Texas.

3. Yes, it is true that I am not well as well versed on the Dominican Republic as you, and therefore I only have the models I have seen on which to base my opinions. If you go back and read my post carefully, you will see that I never once compared California to the Dominican Republic, yet only used the model to convey and idea.

Ideas. That's what the Dominican Republic needs because they obviously haven't come up many on their own...and if they end up coming from the US and even from California, so be it.

I believe the first place to start is through education. Public schools must have some mandate for studies on Natural Resources and their conservation and protection. The laws that are in affect now must be enforced. I say "the laws that are in affect now" because there is no reason to establish new laws. They didn't enforce the old ones, so why would they enforce the new? It will be like the commercials you see on television for stopping at red lights., it's nice to watch, but it will have no immediate effect. Unless there is a set of officers sitting there on motorcycles who actually pull people over, they will continue to run right through them. Seeing the officer sitting there on a continuous basis will help to build better habits.

Gross polluters must be taken off the roads and either be repaired or destroyed. What kind of inspections are there at this point for vehicles when they are registered, and for how long does this registration last?

Better, cleaner mixtures of fuel must be created and distributed. Not just distributed, but at a reasonable cost to the consumer, meaning that the government must be willing to take a smaller cut.

And Keith, I feel for you and your daughter having to live with asthma. I know that can't be easy to live with.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LarrySpencer said:
While I respect and even agree with many of your opinions, I believe that you have taken me out of context at times. Yes, I have no proof on the numbers, and in fact am realizing that there aren't many numbers and was incorrect. However, you have missed the boat on many occassions, and this has happened from our first discussions when I wais not to just on the overreactionist's bandwagon and you accused me of calling you an overreactionist.
Actually, Larry, it was not unreasonable to assume you were aiming the charge at me, since it came in a post (#15) responding directly to me:

Asthma, I'm terribly sorry about your child being afflicted with this awful disease, but let's not jump to conclusions about the causes.

So, although your child suffers from this, don't go jumping on the environmental over reactionists bandwagon just yet.

Re-read the entire post. If you were addressing the post to anyone else, it was not apparent to me or anyone else.

2. I find it amusing that someone so intent on picking apart each of my words has substituted my words from "much", to his own "most" and "predominately," when I never once used these words. As well as east coast. I said the same who supply the east coast, meaning Texas.

You know, Larry, it really doesn't matter much whether it was Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado or the East Coast -- the point is, you claimed a fact that was not a fact, tried to use it as a lynchpin of your response.

Much of the gasoline in the Dominican Republic is imported from the United States, from the same refineries that provide gasoline for much of the east coast of the US, so comparing the two fuels in not a far stretch.

I don't know if you were repeating what you read/heard/were told somewhere else, or simply made it up. But you presented it to us as fact, and damaged your credibility by doing so. Your efforts to justify it rather than admit the mistake before now did not help your credibility either, frankly.

3. Yes, it is true that I am not well as well versed on the Dominican Republic as you, and therefore I only have the models I have seen on which to base my opinions. If you go back and read my post carefully, you will see that I never once compared California to the Dominican Republic, yet only used the model to convey and idea.

I am by no means the grand authority on the DR (that's Hillbilly's job as Grand Vizier. :cheeky: LOL). I am still learning new stuff about it every day, and feel that will probably be true until I die 40 or more years from now. But by now I have learned quite a bit, especially about the peril of applying First World models and assumptions to Dominican realities -- something I, like probably most of us here at DR1, have been guilty of at one time or another. Stick around the DR and DR1, you'll learn this more and more as well.

Ideas. That's what the Dominican Republic needs because they obviously haven't come up many on their own...and if they end up coming from the US and even from California, so be it.

Well in point of fact, yes the Dominicans have come up with ideas, but many of their ideas so far on air and water pollution and waste management have not been practical/workable. So I agree. They need all the ideas we can share, and not just from the US. I like to discuss with them concepts that are being tried, with some success, in other Latin American and/or Caribbean nations. They tend to relate to them better, are more willing to listen to such ideas, and realize that the conditions in question are analogous enough that the concepts just might be do-able in the DR too....

So be careful and choosy about which ideas we promote. Frankly, some ideas from California aren't applied even in the rest of North America -- how can you expect them to apply in the DR? Example: California has a complex Rigid Plastic Container Law that some Californians think is great, but only one other US state has a RPPC law -- Oregon -- and it is far simpler. Most other states would not touch the Californian model, think it's too unweldy.

Another, non-Californian example to illustrate the point about caution in promoting First World models in countries such as the DR: the Germans have been going around Latin America for years promoting their waste recovery and packaging waste law model as the be-all and end-all that everyone should emulate. But everyone has learned that only the Austrians have imitated it, that it does not work even in Germany, it is costly, most Europeans won't touch it, so why should Latin Americans emulate it?

I believe the first place to start is through education. Public schools must have some mandate for studies on Natural Resources and their conservation and protection.

Well, actually the Environment Law of 2000 has such a mandate already.

CAPÍTULO VII DE LA EDUCACIÓN Y DIVULGACIÓN AMBIENTALES

Art. 56.- La Secretaría de Estado de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales, en coordinación con la Secretaría de Estado de Educación, llevará a cabo programas de educación ambiental –formal y no formal- con la participación de instituciones públicas y privadas que realizan actividades educativas.

Art. 57.- La Secretaría de Estado de Educación incorporará como eje transversal, la educación ambiental con enfoque interdisciplinario y carácter obligatorio en los planes y programas de todos los grados, niveles, ciclos y modalidades de enseñanza del sistema educativo, así como de los institutos técnicos, de formación, capacitación, y actualización docente, de acuerdo con la política establecida por el Estado para el sector.

Art. 58.- El Consejo Nacional de Educación Superior, en coordinación con la Secretaría de Estado de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales, garantizará la incorporación de la dimensión ambiental en los planes de estudios de pre y postgrado, curriculares y extracurriculares, dirigidos a la formación y el perfeccionamiento de los profesionales de todas las ramas, en la perspectiva de contribuir al uso sostenible de los recursos naturales y la protección y mejoramiento del medio ambiente.

During my last visit to SD in August, I was told by more than one Administration official that the Fernandez government, unlike that of his predecessor, takes this mandate seriously and is working on implementing it. I'm a bit skeptical, I am sad to say. This Administration's record so far on education does not inspire great confidence on this front.

The laws that are in affect now must be enforced. I say "the laws that are in affect now" because there is no reason to establish new laws. They didn't enforce the old ones, so why would they enforce the new?

Agreed. There is a little bit of hope on this front. I met twice with the chief of the Environment Police when in SD in August, and I was favorably impressed. If this man and his team are allowed to do their job the way he wants to, there is some hope for real enforcement. It will have to build slowly, because they are still ramping up their human resources. But he has a good strategy and something I do not see often enough in the eyes of Dominican officials: real determination to make a difference. I will be writing more on this subject on the soon-to-come Environment Blog we will be launching along with DR1.

I also take some hope by the fact that the Environment Police and Environment Prosecutor recently decided to take on a Senator and won:

http://www.ceiba.gov.do/2004/noticias/esp/oct-2005/14-oct-05.html

How often do you read a story like that in the DR? Not often enough, I think. I hope this is not the last one of this nature we see from the Environment Police.

Gross polluters must be taken off the roads and either be repaired or destroyed. What kind of inspections are there at this point for vehicles when they are registered, and for how long does this registration last?

I'll have to double-check, but I believe that the DR still only does safety inspections, not emissions. Knowing Dominican realities, I think any emissions inspection regime for the DR would have to be designed very, very carefully. For example, if you are going to do tailpipe readings in the traditional manner, you at the very least must have a system which electronically does not allow the test to proceed until the measuring wand is placed properly, and does not in any way allow the tester to change the result read-out, and probably have to have the result read-out automatically sent electronically to the office issuing the registration or sticker based on the results, so that anyone coming in with a faked readout sheet could (notice I didn't say would) get caught.

My guess is that in order to make the inspection system really stick you would have to have someone doing spot checks on streets and roads, empowered to give out tickets and revoke the emissions sticker then and there. But I don't foresee this in the DR anytime soon.

Better, cleaner mixtures of fuel must be created and distributed. Not just distributed, but at a reasonable cost to the consumer, meaning that the government must be willing to take a smaller cut.

Would be nice. But who is going to pay to refit Refindomsa to do it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. It's a legit question at a time when the DR says that it does not have its own money to make such capital investments. I guess alternatively the DR could bite the bullet and allow imports of cleaner refined fuel, perhaps with a tariff and (hydrocarbons) tax break, but then they'd be undercutting Refindomsa's partial monopoly and robbing their treasury of quite a few funds, so I doubt they'll do this either. Or maybe they should really bite the bullet and let Refindomsa become majority owned by private interests (maybe with the DR Govt retaining a "golden share" such as the UK Govt has in British Air and other firms?) with ironclad contractual obligations on their part to produce cleaner fuels in line with Environment Ministry dictates and that the government will actually enforce the new consumer law's provisions on price gouging.... Just musing here, I have no clear answers either...

And Keith, I feel for you and your daughter having to live with asthma. I know that can't be easy to live with.
Well, thanks for the sentiment, but I am not full or acute asthmatic (doc likes to call it bronchial asthmastic), nor is my daughter, thank God. And unlike me, she has not had a serious episode since we moved back to Virginia. Why? Well, near as we can tell, her triggers are linked to air quality, and I am not talking pollen or simple dust (or Nals' sand! LOL) -- I mean smog! A correlation between her pulminary troubles in SD and ambiente air quality there? Again, I can't prove it, but I have my strong suspicions.

And I know I am not alone in that -- some Dominican doctors and public health officials I have spoken to are worried there is one as well. But until good, proper, current diagnostics are done, no one -- not you, me, Porfirio,etc. -- can say with any true certainly what the air quality actually is and over what time sequence, what are the biggest contributors in order of rank, and what correlations there are to epidemological trends (the data for which is also quite spare in the DR).

So yeah, in that sense, we should not jump to conclusions. But as my dad the MD used to say, if his clinical observation and experience and instincts are telling him loudly that there is a link between a health condition and certain factors, but medical science has yet to prove it conclusively, it was still his duty to voice his concerns and suspicions to the patient. My eyes, nose, lungs, and 25 years of dealing with environment & health issues suggest to me that SD has a more serious air pollution problem than officials care to admit, that vehicle emissions are more a contributing factor than officials care to admit, and that health impacts are rising.

This needs to be properly and scientifically diagnosed, and policies designed on the basis of the findings, not our suppositions/biases or those of Dominican government officials.

Although there are some shortcomings I see with the preliminary study that produced these figures, and the data are several years old (2000), the charts attached below from the Environment Ministry's environmental diagnostic published in December 2002 may be of interest and help ground this thread in something closer to reality.

Regards,
Keith

Last edited:
L

LarrySpencer

Keith R said:
Although there are some shortcomings I see with the preliminary study that produced these figures, and the data are several years old (2000), the charts attached below from the Environment Ministry's environmental diagnostic published in December 2002 may be of interest and help ground this thread in something closer to reality.

Do you know if they completed this on their own, or if an independent auditor was used? What are the benchmarks, are they also listed within the report?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LarrySpencer said:
Do you know if they completed this on their own, or if an independent auditor was used? What are the benchmarks, are they also listed within the report?
That's part of my concern about this data. The Dominican government rarely does their own health and environment studies; they use consultants (you can't really call them an "auditor" in this case) to pull them together, in this case, Abt Associates Inc., with assistance and review by a technical committee of government specialists and others such as the environmental health specialist in PAHO's office in the DR The consultants ran up against the same raw data and study constraints almost everyone else does -- for example, they say that they could not get good fuel quality and consumption data for the DR, so they had to make some assumptions and estimates on this critical starting point in the analysis. They also had to rely on some incomplete, short-term monitoring data and a couple of university studies. But it's really the only data out right now, such as it is.

That's why I say that a proper (rigorous, complete) and scientific diagnosis yet needs to be done. Why the Dominican government has not yet done it, I'm not sure -- cost, maybe? But then, there are plenty of multilateral sources willing to help fund the set-up of regular monitoring stations if the government asks for it, as has happened in many Latin American countries already. Cynics may suggest that DR officials haven't done the monitoring yet because they don't want to know the results, but I'm hoping that they're just being slow about getting to it...:rolleyes:

It's been a year or two since I read the study, so I need to go back over it again in greater detail. But during a quick glance last night this passage popped out at me:

Hubo toda una gama de fuentes que no fue analizada. A lo largo de nuestra estad?a en Santo Domingo y visita a Santiago, y la experiencia acumulada en otros pa?ses, se considera que los emisores m?s importantes son las fuentes m?viles (ya discutidas), las plantas de generadoras de electricidad, las industrias de uso intensivo de energ?a (fabricaci?n de vidrio, cementeras, refiner?as, pinturas y solventes, etc.), y en el caso particular de Rep?blica Dominicana las emisiones de las m?ltiples generadores de electricidad para uso comercial y residencial (y por supuesto industrial), debido a la poca confiabilidad del sistema nacional de abastecimiento de electricidad. Adicionalmente hay muchos otros rubros b?sicos que no pudieron ser estudiados. Uno de particular inter?s (por razones de contaminaci?n, as? como de impacto social) es la quema de basura en vertederos al aire libre.

Essentially, the study admits that many sources remain to be studied and estimated properly, but they consider the main suspects to be exactly the ones we have raised in this thread: vehicles, electricity generation plants, certain industries (I had forgotten to mention the cement plants and paint/solvent producers!), the plantas and open-air trash burning.

L

LarrySpencer

Wow, they've got a lot of work to do. It looks as if it was more of a hit and miss type thing, as if it was a report that needed to be generated quickly in order to qualify for some sort of funding.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, sad to say, this was done with funding -- as part of a larger project funded by the World Bank. The project, launched in 1999 and finished a few years later, aimed at setting a grand national environment policy and priorities (institutional, personnel, training, monitoring, regulation/guideline setting, etc.) once the Environment Law was passed. Part of the exercise involved cateloguing and assessing what environmental problems the DR faced, which ones should be given priority attention, and what were the cost/benefits of the various policy approaches. The final product was not the worst I have seen in Latin America, but it was certainly not the best.

L

LarrySpencer

Keith R said:
Actually, sad to say, this was done with funding -- as part of a larger project funded by the World Bank. The project, launched in 1999 and finished a few years later, aimed at setting a grand national environment policy and priorities (institutional, personnel, training, monitoring, regulation/guideline setting, etc.) once the Environment Law was passed. Part of the exercise involved cateloguing and assessing what environmental problems the DR faced, which ones should be given priority attention, and what were the cost/benefits of the various policy approaches. The final product was not the worst I have seen in Latin America, but it was certainly not the best.

True. How could they have possibly have know which to place high on the priority list if them didn't even do a thorough investigation?

Well, like you said, at least now they have the new environmetal legislation. In time it will be refined. Thanks for all the info. I'm reading Luis Pellerano's press release on it right now. It seems the law, from their view, is to stream line the environmental review process required for development.

So the World Bank funded this in order for the Dominican Republic to streamline the process, build up foreign investment, require all types of upfront environmental impact studies prior to development, and that's it.....

Is this correct? So everything will be upfront in order to get the permits, but once that in completed, all the pollution they create will be pretty much unregulated? I need to find more than just this press release....

http://www.bomchilgroup.org/domfeb02.html