Neighbor wants to extort money from us, please advise

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
If you fall for this now you will be forever be a victim to it on that island. The fiscal already said more than once that you do not have to pay a dime. You did anyway and guess what, brother? You could of used that money to take care of mister cock-a doodle-do.

If your family is in such a vulnerable state, either move them to the US or buy them a house in a gated community with no dominicans in sight. That is your only recourse. And next time seriously think about life without pets.

well, what was given to this guy was minimal. True, since money was given to him, he might come back... but brother-in law told him that he should not expect anymore $$ and for him to go to pto plata city if he wanted to file lawsuit... which he knows he would lose again.

after meeting with fiscal, the family, my wife, brother-in law all were advised to not pay the guy. Then the brother in law was confronted again on the street by this guy asking for money,,, so they all went to the fiscal and the brother in law just decided to give money to the guy. My wife did not know
and was not present when the in-law gave the guy some money at the fiscalia... but let's hope nothing else happens.

at the end the guy wanted 3,000 pesos and less than 30% of that was given to him. I know it's not much but the family was scared and didn't want any more problems/trouble. And this guy was told he will not get any more $$ from the family, that he was only getting some money to help him to back off,, but that we were not at fault and we were not paying him off.

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Don't pay

Instead of paying hire a gaurd for a few weeks or whatever you need to do.It is time to stop all this crap,and by paying him or the police it makes it worse.Personally I am sick of this crap and would rather pay for a gaurd and a lawyer than pay the police and this guy.
That said if you must pay use a lawyer so the police get nada!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just to echo Snuffy's point about reality...........guards have been known not to do their job when the going gets tough. El Diego, suggest you make no mention on this or the other thread of where in Santiago you might be looking - do it via PMs with people like Snuffy who have offered to help.

Also, my experience of Embassy personnel is different from Kemo's. I was pleasantly surprised to hear of the great service Kemo's friend received. Maybe because they were a tourist? But I have to say in cases where I have contacted that Embassy over a 14 year period (to help others, I am not a US citizen) that the responses have not ressembled a knight in shining armour riding to the rescue.............. so don't feel too disappointed, El Diego, if they do not pull out all the stops for you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Where is the Dominican "street justice" from the video in the other thread when you need it? Does that only happen when someone is caught redhanded stealing from somebody and not when someone goes through elaborate measures to extort money which is in effect stealing as well??

Yes, of course it is stealing, and exhortion, and criminal.

Anyway El Diego, you should have the pressure off for the moment, for a small amount of money. Don't talk much about your plans to the neighbors, but do get your family out of there.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Dmad,
we definitely not paying the cops since we suspect they're involved in the
case w/the low-life guy.

Lambada,
yes, thnx for advise... santiago was just an option.. and will touch w/santiago dr1 folks via pm's. I will consider all options as to where to relocate, if indeed things get worse.

Chris,
yes hopefully things will get better/calmer. And you're right, any plan of doing anything would just have to be kept away from neighbors, even some family members as we all know even family members gossip/spread things around town.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yeah! You are caught in a sandwich are you an american citizen! if you are please contact the office and please ask to speak to the aid of Hans Hertel he is puerto rican and the ambassador explain the situation and in less than a few hours your problem with this guy and the authorities will be solve. In the D.R this scam is very common cops and crooks work together to extort money from outsiders. I have a freind that went on vacation to the d.r and rent it a waverunner jetsky right in the middle of its ride the thing turn off! he try to call the person in charge in the shore he did not notice he was there for more than an hour! even after the time of his rental!!!!!!!!!! he got tire of waiting he just jump and swammed torse the shore when he reached the shore the guy came to him and told him were was the waverunner he said is overther floating the guy ran did not care that my freind almost drown he went in another boat and in a couple of minutes came back the dominican was furious at him beacause the current took the wave runner against a reef and it got all scartch a some external damage!. My freind said to him if i rent form yoi for 30 minutes and i do not comeback for an hour or more that means there is something wrong. My freind got so mad at him that he said i could even see in the shore you were not even supervising you were drinking beer!!! what do you want me to due drown! My friend wento to pick up his things and said to him not to charge anything to his room or credit card right away with his Verizon phone that luckily work he called the credit card company to put a lock on the card the man went and try to charge 1,500 dolars because he said those are the damages of his waverunners. Well to make it short one thing led to another and he called a cop! this cop seemed to be a very good freind of his because he was unprofesional and he did not want to hear my freinds side. The cop simply said to him that he had to pay or give him his passport until the situation resolves! My freind was not going to give up his passport and told the cop to listen to his side of the sotry but there was no way. During the verbal discussion another american couple watch the hold situation and went inside the hotel and told the manager what was going on the manager a Spaniard guy imidiately talk to the cop and the person and said to them to give my freind until tomorrow to get the 1,500 us dolars he and the cop were claiming. Walking back to the hotel the manager said that he knows how it works and they are trying to intimidate him to give up the money. The cop threaten my freind to take him to the Cuartel were he was told there was no judge until tuesday am and that he probably had to spend the night until the situation clears itself. Imagine it was a Saturday 2 or 3 days in jail maybe they wont be any case but the though that he was going to go to jail scared him! When he got to the hotel the manager said to him i know the area captian maybe we could fix it on the top but probably you will have to give him 100-200 dolars which is better than 1,500 dolars. My freind told the manager to call the captain because he wanted to continue the vacation. What the manager did not know is that while he went up to his room to get the money he called the American Embassy hotline in Santo Domingo he explain a very nice lady aid his situation she told him to stay in his room put until they figure out how to solve it. She herd the story she called immidiately a lawyer paid for by U.S embassy which imidiately called him to ask for the information he said dont worry in 30 minutes this will be solve. All my freind knows that after an hour the lawyer called him back and said the problem was completely solved and that if the guy and the cop were to try to extort him once again to call i think it was a general or cornell well the main guy of the police in bavaro to id himself and tell him is a client of so so from the american embassy! He said that on sunday he wento to the beach and saw the guy and the guy did not have the strenght to look him in the eyes problem solve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting help like this from any embassy is definetly not normal. I know many stories where US Embassy and from other embassies the people did absolutely nothing to help their countrymen in need.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Just Out Of Intrest Have You Voted On This Poll

i will try to go to DR next wk and look for house most likely in santiago area.

the guy, my brother-in-law, cops went again to fiscal and brother-in-law gave some money to the guy and made him signed paper and told him to stop
asking for money and to leave family alone. The guy wanted more money but then he took whatever was given to him. I hope he does not come back in the future asking for more money even though as some of you have said, he will come back asking for more.

the judge told the cops to not get involve in the case since they have no authority over the lawsuit/case.. that they know they can get fired. The fiscal told my wife that as long as he's in charge of fiscalia in the town, he will not tolerate corruption of any kind. And he said that he knows those cops are corrupt and most likely have interest in the case with the guy.

so, so far the guy took the money and have not returned. Hopefully the wknd goes away w/o problems and next wk me and wifey will look for place to relocate.

we will try to look for a safe neighborh and in the future think of moving out of DR completely and just visit DR to visit family and/or to vacation.

DR is getting out of control. Corruption is all over the island, at all levels of gov't. There's no way the country can progress.

Kemo,
yes, i'm us citizen. thnx for advise.. i will try to get in contact with ambassador's aide.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/polls/56209-happy-sad-dr.html

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Getting help like this from any embassy is definetly not normal. I know many stories where US Embassy and from other embassies the people did absolutely nothing to help their countrymen in need.

Thank you for that Conchman. I didn't want what I posted to be picked up as an anti-US thing because that wasn't the intention. The intention was to clarify the reality of the situation from those of us who have experienced it so that El Diego didn't feel let down if this avenue does not work for him. My examples, btw, are not stories, they are my own experiences of coming up against blank walls from Embassy staff when I was trying to help one of their nationals. And it wasn't for want of trying........

Vince, let's not sidetrack from this thread where El Diego asked for advice and is actually using much of the advice offered, particularly where there has been a consensus of views.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Kemo's novella does make for some good fictional reading on a Saturday.

I am sorry that you feel this a Novela but certainly this siutuation happende dto a very good freind of mine that has no reason to lie! I undesrtand that U.S embassy probably has many cases like this in other countries my take on these is that my freind was very lucky to get a helping voice and the U.S and other european countries need to protect there citizcens from this kind of scams because they are scams. For the other forumer please understand that you are not a U.S cititizcen and maybe they will not take your concerns seriously.

(Kemo, I deleted the rest of the post as it will only start a race war!)
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Wow, this is right out of the movies.

yesterday, I was chatting with a dominican and he told me there is no reason for dominicans to carry guns to seek revenge. He said they use their cars and have a little accident with someone getting run over. If you can pay the police a few dollars, the incident report will be dramaticallly altered. If not, "I didn't see him trying to cross the street."

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Another little story about my recent SD visit. On this visit, I gave some nice clothes and shoes to some local poor people who I have known for several months. They seem to be trustworthy.

Anyway, during breakfast at the Jaguara Hotel, I was paid a visit by someone who flashed a police ID. He said he knew about the gifts I gave and that he has "two bambinos" and wanted money for his kids. I got quite concerned. How did he know who I was. I never saw this man before yet he knew me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told him I would finish breakfast and we would talk after. I immediately lost my appetite and pretended to eat. Anyway, I left the dining room and he was waiting in the lobby. I gave him some money as I thought it was the simplest solution. I never saw him again, but continually looked over my shoulder for the next 2 days until I returned to NY.

I am safe in NY now. I don't know why I got so concerned, but I did. It was creepy to be approaced by someone who knew me and even the size of the shoes I gave away ...... I did not know what kind of story he would invent about me if I did not give money. So, I did. I just don't want any trouble in a developing country filled with total corruption. He was happy with a little bit of money.

The recipents were not involved in this. unfortunately, there was a mix up in communication due to language barriers and we asked someone to help translate about where to exchange the shoes if they did not fit. This person sent someone to the hotel to chat with me. In hindsight, I should have told this person to f*ck off. But, I was dumbfounded how this person knew so many details about my gifts yet I never saw or spoke to him before.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
They seem to be trustworthy.

Sounds like you should review this thought. If these folks are truly trustworthy its possible that they innocently spoke to family, friends or neighbors about the good act you did, but the story fell on the wrong ears. Someone who obviously was not a good person.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
oceanbound

It appears the unknown person who met you at the hotel was sent there by the family to discuss how to exchange the shoes correct?

If that is so it appears this fellow may have just used this opportunity to ask you for a gift. As far as showing you the badge, he may have thought this would have given him some crediblity.

What I am trying to say is that I have been approached by numerous unknown Dominican here who have asked me for gifts, including new televisions and tv's. These people aren't necessarily bad, just ignorant.

Americans and foreigners in general are a favorite topic among the people here, and it constantly amazes me to hear so much misinformation spkoen by the locals as if it were fact and as if they had seen it with their own eyes. I have tried to correct people here but mostly, even though they look me in the eye and understand me perfectly and know I am American, just decide to not listen. I cannot tell you how frustrating this can be, believe me.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
oceanbound

It appears the unknown person who met you at the hotel was sent there by the family to discuss how to exchange the shoes correct?

If that is so it appears this fellow may have just used this opportunity to ask you for a gift. As far as showing you the badge, he may have thought this would have given him some crediblity.

What I am trying to say is that I have been approached by numerous unknown Dominican here who have asked me for gifts, including new televisions and tv's. These people aren't necessarily bad, just ignorant.

Americans and foreigners in general are a favorite topic among the people here, and it constantly amazes me to hear so much misinformation spkoen by the locals as if it were fact and as if they had seen it with their own eyes. I have tried to correct people here but mostly, even though they look me in the eye and understand me perfectly and know I am American, just decide to not listen. I cannot tell you how frustrating this can be, believe me.

I am in the airport in San Juan now catching a flight to Casa de Campo. That is why i love Casa de Campo there is so much control and there is respect. If this guy approaches me in the Jaragua i will turn around and called the Hotel security and checked that Badge at the same time i will have security of the Hotel call the Police do everything and anything if he sees you are proactive and getting in with the police he will backed down maybe he will get arrested Politur is really cracking down on this extorsionist half of them are not police. One thing that i do in Dominican Republic i try to avoid those places that people are very poor because that is where extorsion comes in. I think a long time a go i had a situation in la plaza espana i am not going to mentioned restaurant that a waiter pick up the bill which i paid cash then i left and the manager asked me where i was going i said home he said you must paid i said i already paid well what happen to me is an Unusual situation were a thieve dress like a waiter pick up the bill ran off with the money i had no time and i paid the bill directly to the manager in credit card. What really bother me is that i think the manager thought i was making up the story i never want back to that restaurant but i went to another one in the same area were the waiter told me that probably the manager got a cut of the cash that is why he was so rough making pay again. Now i pay with credit card but what i do is i tell the waiter to bring the bill and then i get my CC and asked him were la caja is and to follow me because another thing that happens allot there bill say one quantity CC Bill say another so i make sure they don't stick me.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
oceanbound

You know you are right i am Puerto rican and a american citizen they think we are Santa Claus i remember christmas of 2006 in Casa de Campo i gave regalia to the lady that cleans the villa as well as the husband which maintains the property together with her. I gave them the regalia a week before christmas. I was about to leave to San Juan i think 23 or so and i get a knocked on my door it was their nephew i knew him because back that same summer he painted the villa with some friends they did a great job i paid them more than they asked me and it was great. He told me that he was coming to collect his reagalia " I said What" he said he was employed by me for a Month that year and by law i have to give him $ 150.00 regalia and he was serious. First i don't know how he got into my complex i guess the cop knew him and supposed he was coming to do some work. I said to him i don,t have to give you nothing he said that a lawyer told him i have to give him regalia. I said to him i have a copy of the check i gave you and receipt that i made you signed and i also made him write an estimado and sign his name i like to try to do things the American Way. Well his uncle came back from the suoermarket were i send him i told him that his nephew wanted a regalia that i have to give him one by law his Uncle and him got into an argument his uncle defending my position him being intolerant he started to get anxious an angry i called seguridad and they escort him out of Casa de Campo. Well things did not end there i wnet to el Jumbo right outside Casa de Campo and he was there with his freinds i told them that if they touch me or my Jeepeta they will regreted so i know Generales and coroneles in the D.R one General play golf with me a couple of time but this kid was so stupid. I went ahead called this general friend of mine gave him the name and address well the next day he apologize and asked me if i had work for him for you i will never have work again!!!!! Well waht happen is that the uncle told him he got his regalia and maybe he thought he could extort one out of me:cool:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Well waht happen is that the uncle told him he got his regalia and maybe he thought he could extort one out of me

Kemo: do everyone a favor and report that guy to the management of Casa De Campo so he gets permanently barred from the property.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Kemo: do everyone a favor and report that guy to the management of Casa De Campo so he gets permanently barred from the property.

This happen in 2006 when he was kicked out by Casa de campo security i told them to banned him. I have not seen him again since then.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Nice! I love casa de campo!

Well but Casa de campo security is good sometimes and bad sometimes inside the resort there are many stores, supermarkets, restaurants and so on this private industry wants to let people inside the complex so they sell more. The good thing is that a guy in a motoconcho cannot afford anything inside there anyway but now because the Movie theater even poor people could give themselves a night of pleasure i want to see how this will play out. Another thing that happens is cruisehip passengers some of them are not Casa de Campo material and there are some rowdy passengers and you know Altos de Chavon has it private entrance anybody could get in but then the crooks get un authorize entry to casa de campo. Me and my neighbors we pay for additional security we have in a golf cart a Armed wachiman that is there exclusively at nights until sunrise taking care of the 4 houses in the cul de sac in my street. we have no problems????