Neighbor wants to extort money from us, please advise

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
In Casa de Campo you pay mainteinence to Costa Sur inmy end i only pay to keep the grounds clean and landscaping everything else is done by my handyman guy i have working. But sometimes if there is an A/C broken or some big electrical stuff i have to call a technician i called costasur they send me either one of their technician employees or they will send me a private but serious company to take care of the problem. But Costa Sur inflates the prices allot so sometimes i hire locally in la romana i make sure we make an agreement on price i have this notebook that says estimados either they write it or i write it and make them signed. Neverthless it never fails when you paid them they ask you for more money i said you signed this estimado and you did what is there no extra money"". i am telling you some of this people can read or write after they see then they ask for something extra like i need to buy clothing for school for my kids " I owed money in la bodega" or my favorite they need money for gas if they have a truck or for transportation. You never win.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When You Bring "GIFTS" To Dominicans,You "Invite" ThisType Of Behavior!!!

Just because you have "MORE" doesn't mean you have to give "something" to every poor Dominican you meet!
My rich American friends don't bring me "Tenis"
every time they come to visit me!
I'll admit,I USED to be the "Worst" at being the "BEST"! If I brought 1 radio,I brought 20 radios,"Tenis" "Perfume",Ropa, "Prendas" I brought it all!
Then one day it hit me! Lets see who are my friends,and who are just "On The Take"??? I have one Friend left!
Some Dominicans live on the "Hand Outs" of foreign "Friends" they cultivate! Many work in,or "Hang Around" the tourist hotels,beaches,shopping areas. If they seen "Too Friendly",Watch Out"!
And please,just because you meet a "Poor Family",doesn't mean that you have to "Give" them anything! It can turn what could be a mutually satisfying friendship into a "Father/Child (paternalistic) relationship! Let the poor,less fortunate, retain their dignaty! And you will retain YOURS at the same time!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
My wife had some (for dominicans "a lot") money extorted by a relative. Without going to the DR i got back at her. I mentionned the facts to someone who has a cousin in the next village. Words do fly in the dr ;) Now everyone is avoyding her and she has become an outcast in her community.
Greetings

Johan

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Even thou you feel the necessity to help you have to understand that the receiver may have other intentions and you could become a target of extortion. Some people in the D.R have this feeling of entitlement so they deserved you hard working money!!!! The best thing is to live in good closed communities like Casa de Campo and other keep a low profile and don't flash money around this is my best suggestion.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I have a gringo Friend from North carolina that his dream was to own a Tobacco farm in el Cibao I don't know the town but i remember his story this was back 1999 or so. So he bought close to 50 acres or prime to Tobacco land and he started building a beautiful hacienda style house in the Farm. He started bring new agricultural equipment from the states and so on the people from the souronding areas where nice and some where hire by him. This little village is about 45min to and hour from Santiago the little village had 4 cops one of them was a captain. This captain approach my friend with cordial intention and told him that anything he needed not hesitate that he will make sure nobody steals anything from him. My friend was gracious and thank him and invited him to eat at the Farm. During the dinner the captain started indirectly pointing out to my friend that he is under paid that he hardly has any money to maintained his 7 kids and so on. MY friend being from the states was unaware that the Captain was asking for money. Well after a while my friend i guess did not get it and the Captain said to him when he got up that for no less than 350 dollars a month he will give protection to the farm. offcourse my friend being form the states refused to pay this man on the spot this captain simply told him that is the fee that other farm owners pay him and they don't hae any problems. My friend respectfully ask the captain to leave and that he will not pay that money for service that a cop provides by law. Well a week after his construction materilas wood and fencing line was stolen as well as parts of the tractors allot of the workers started missing work because they where threaten by that captain well my friend got so mad that he went to la Comandancia de Santiago to put a complaint against that cop they simply told him that he has no evidence that to hire private security he was so mad that the Cornell off the record told him that the money that he will spend just paying that cop was going to be less than to hire private security. Well he started paying the Captain and since then there have been no more stealings at the farm.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I have a gringo Friend from North carolina that his dream was to own a Tobacco farm in el Cibao I don't know the town but i remember his story this was back 1999 or so. So he bought close to 50 acres or prime to Tobacco land and he started building a beautiful hacienda style house in the Farm. He started bring new agricultural equipment from the states and so on the people from the souronding areas where nice and some where hire by him. This little village is about 45min to and hour from Santiago the little village had 4 cops one of them was a captain. This captain approach my friend with cordial intention and told him that anything he needed not hesitate that he will make sure nobody steals anything from him. My friend was gracious and thank him and invited him to eat at the Farm. During the dinner the captain started indirectly pointing out to my friend that he is under paid that he hardly has any money to maintained his 7 kids and so on. MY friend being from the states was unaware that the Captain was asking for money. Well after a while my friend i guess did not get it and the Captain said to him when he got up that for no less than 350 dollars a month he will give protection to the farm. offcourse my friend being form the states refused to pay this man on the spot this captain simply told him that is the fee that other farm owners pay him and they don't hae any problems. My friend respectfully ask the captain to leave and that he will not pay that money for service that a cop provides by law. Well a week after his construction materilas wood and fencing line was stolen as well as parts of the tractors allot of the workers started missing work because they where threaten by that captain well my friend got so mad that he went to la Comandancia de Santiago to put a complaint against that cop they simply told him that he has no evidence that to hire private security he was so mad that the Cornell off the record told him that the money that he will spend just paying that cop was going to be less than to hire private security. Well he started paying the Captain and since then there have been no more stealings at the farm.

I guess when you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Like I said before, get to know a policeman or military man, but never show all of your cards in the first hand.