neighbour just told me he will poisen my dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You could get 'bark collars'. Some give a very small 'zap' when the dog barks, others work with water, the dog gets a squirt of water. They're used a lot in the US.
The Bark Control Collars will probably be very effective.
The dogs learn very fast with shock treatment.

My dog was constantly jumping over the small gate between the houses.
I electrified the top of the gate with an animal fence controller.

First time he did not understand what happened and let out a yelp.
The second time he immediately learned and has not tried again, it has been 3 months.

I also brought with me the last trip here a Training Collar, uses sound and/or shock. Our dog was peeing on the metal gate and in the past I already had to have the large sliding gate repaired from it rusting out from the corrosive pee. The Training collar has a remote control, so I was able to control when to use it. Since our dog already learned not to jump over the small gate, he learned extra fast about peeing on the other gate.

If you do get a Bark Collar, don't leave it on the dog all the time, you don't want to punish the dog un-necessarily. Sometimes barking is a good thing.

Now if we could only adapt that technology for the drivers that never look to the left before they pull into your lane in this country.

Bad driver, Bad!

Don

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This thread is hillarious....

The OP has two problems. The dogs will definitely require training. Incessant barking is noise pollution and even in the loudest country on the planet (DR) this is unacceptable. I would seek the advice of a professional trainer. They know the tricks and available gadgets and can assist in bringing quick resolution to the problem with the dogs.

The second problem is the neighbor. He is not a reasonable man. Reasonable people do not threaten illegal and drastic measures against their neighbors. I actually had a neighbor issue a similar threat against my dog. My (shizu-toy poodle) hated the guy and he threatened her with harm. He had a rose garden and would spend hours tending to his beloved roses. One Saturday morning while he was tending to his roses I let the dog into my (fenced) back yard, sat on the back porch and cleaned and oiled my SKS, 12 ga., 1892 Mauser, Win 30.06, S&W 9mm, Rossi 44spl, H&K .380, S&W "Chief Special" and .22LR cal derringer until the bolts slammed into place effortlessly and the cylinders whirred like tops.

That guy never bothered me again.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The dog(s) need to be trained, just like children...

Which is worse, a constant screaming child or a constant barking dog.
What I would do is pour a whole bag of sugar into his gas tank . After that , tell the entire community that his wife works at El Bohen and shes the best in what she does.
The sugar thing is not true, it may clog the filter, but that's about all.
Sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline is what I understand.

Now water in the tank, gasoline floats, so water would be pumped into the engine.

Don

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Get bark collars for your dogs. Dogs that bark chronically are irritating.

But that does not give your neighbor the cause to kill anything.

flo

Apr 11, 2006
for a guy to come to my house and tell me that my dogs are annoying to him and it has to stop is one thing i have no problem with and i will try to make them stop.

for for a guy who aparently lives in a garage with a 100 us rent a month to come to me who worked very hard to buy himself a nice house and tell me that he will kill my dogs if they dont stop barking is a whole diferent story, as it is a treath against me, my property and my dogs, and thats the point where i just lose it, because this kind of person all that is looking for is confrontation, probably because he is a failure in his life and doesnt have anything else to do.

i went to talk to him again, and he stated that it is his right to take care of the situation if he has to, how are you going to continue a serious conversation if confronted with such argument, except hitting the guy in his german face ?

now i have a freaking house with nice garden and i have to lock my dogs inside the house because of fear the guy may trow something over the fence any moment, great caribbean living

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You could try the friendly approach, invite the ahole over for some snitchzel, homemade brochen, beer and german potato salad and maybe he'll forget everything. Make sure you get dopplebock and you might have a new friend forever. By the way, invite me too and I'll be your friend too! jeje

tchuss

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
if confronted with such argument, except hitting the guy in his german face ?

LMAO, sorry but that is just too funny,

if he was thinking about buying a dog, ask him if he wants to buy yours? see his reaction, now that would shock him!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
for for a guy who aparently lives in a garage with a 100 us rent a month to come to me who worked very hard to buy himself a nice house and tell me that he will kill my dogs if they dont stop barking is a whole diferent story, as it is a treath against me, my property and my dogs, and thats the point where i just lose it, because this kind of person all that is looking for is confrontation, probably because he is a failure in his life and doesnt have anything else to do.

I don't see the amount of rent he pays as being relevant to whether or not he is annoyed by your dogs barking. Are you seeing this as a difference in rights between a house owner and someone who rents? Perhaps you should also talk to the house owner if he is in the DR? There have been a number of helpful suggestions made about bark collars etc but I don't see any acknowledgement of these. Thus I am left wondering whether the real issue as perceived is the annoyance the dogs are causing or whether this is more a clash between two neighbours. No he doesn't have the right to threaten to kill your dogs; I already posted that you can apply to the Fiscal for a querella about this.

If this person is looking for a confrontation and you, by admission, lose it at that point, then.............he has got what he wanted, hasn't he? The confrontation.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
flo: you may want to rethink your tone if you plan to continue living in the DR. This is one of the most aggressive, macho countries in the world. Talk like that WILL get you killed.

And, in this case you're also out of line. Stop the dogs barking.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
people can be driven to extreme measures from noise pollution, actually I could hear a small dog yapping from 11 til 1am last night fortunately it was far enough away not to bother me , but I bet its neighbours werent pleased

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The dogs are the culprit of the problems, take care of that, a little bit of training may help. The other issue is of a neighbour who contanstly threathen you to wipe your property (kill your dogs) because he just wants to, that's the biggest one. As someone said here, get some green notes and head to the police station, talk with them, explain your situation, even tell them to come to your place and show where the neighbour lives, and then slip those notes to them. They will take care of the situation real soon.

I know that you have to be prudent in this country specially when you are the cause of the problem, but a neighbor threatening to kill anything is not acceptable in the DR. What if the OP have a party and the same neighbor is bothered by the music, does he have to accept threats of the neighbor trespassing his house and stealing his stereo because he has the right to?

First take care of the dogs problem, then take care of the neighbor one, a threat like that shouldn't be forgotten and act as if nothing happened.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
dachshunds can be notorious barkers and of course having three they feed off eachothers excitement

please visit My Smart Puppy this is a very user friendly dog training site. There they can give you great advice in a supportive setting

electric collars can work but you need to get good ones, poor quality ones will set off randomly. They will shock the dog when another dog barks. Citronella collars spray a lemon scent and some dogs respond well and others don't care and bark right through it.

If the dogs are only barking when you are away from home, they need to be confined inside when you leave. Ideally in individual crates. Excercise them thoroughly , crate them, give them each something wonderful to chew on that they only get at that time (the leg bone of a cow is good) and calmly leave.

Of course upping their levels of obedience helps enormously

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Your best solution is to try to eliminate the problem. We all agree a barking dog is very annoying. That is why there are usually ordinances against this. Try a barking collar to train the dogs not to bark. Once they learn this, you can replace it with a dummy one. Don't buy a cheap one. Innotek or Sport Dog are good ones.

Crate training is another option. It is very effective. The web has plenty of info on this.

flo

Apr 11, 2006
i think the problem has been solved and the guy has been put in his place

as i 100 times already agreed the dogs are a problem and in fact i have already taken care of them.

the main problem is that NOWHERE in the world, NO ONE can come and tell you that he will kill your dogs if they don't stop barking.
if you have a different opinion maybe you have to go back to school, or just get some common sense.

if have no problem with someone to come to my house and in a friendly manner tell me that my dogs are anoying and i have to take care of it

thanks again this is solved

Status
Not open for further replies.