New Cedulas for Foreigners Begin Today

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Just wait, maybe they will open one there. You have plenty of time until you have to change the c?dula.

As I understood we have 12 month's time to do it, right? Just now I am thinking about the date on the new c?dula.
Because it is just a CHANGE, they should transfer same date - for to avoid later by next renovation to travel twice to Santo Domingo.
P. example, my C?dula and Residencia are with same date, both valid up to 8th may 2017.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I spoke to my lawyer, la Doctora.

She said I do not have to do anything yet. I received my new Cedula last month, have to renew next year (and would get the new cedula then). Should there anything be necessary to do before that she will let me know...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OFFICIAL" Bulletin from the Government "Cedula Office".
The "Rules & Regulations" regarding "Cedula" renewal will change monthly until further notice"!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
As I understood we have 12 month's time to do it, right? Just now I am thinking about the date on the new c?dula.
Because it is just a CHANGE, they should transfer same date - for to avoid later by next renovation to travel twice to Santo Domingo.
P. example, my C?dula and Residencia are with same date, both valid up to 8th may 2017.
I think it is 18 months, counting from April 21st.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I think it is 18 months, counting from April 21st.

Read here:

Se inicia hoy cedulaci?n de extranjeros - listindiario.com

....."Reducen tiempo
En otro orden, Rosario dijo que las expectativas que ten?a la Junta Central Electoral (JCE) para la expedici?n de la nueva c?dula ha sido superada, debido a que la poblaci?n ha acudido de forma masiva a obtener el documento.

Eso ha provocado que en vez de 18 meses, tiempo en que el organismo ten?a proyectado concluir el proceso, ahora haya sido reducido a 12 meses. Precis? que esa reducci?n del tiempo se debe a estrategias establecidas por el organismo, entre las que ......"

Or did I missunderstood?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hard to say. It doesn't mention a deadline. I will wait until my c?dula expires anyway in November.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Read here:

Se inicia hoy cedulaci?n de extranjeros - listindiario.com

....."Reducen tiempo
En otro orden, Rosario dijo que las expectativas que ten?a la Junta Central Electoral (JCE) para la expedici?n de la nueva c?dula ha sido superada, debido a que la poblaci?n ha acudido de forma masiva a obtener el documento.

Eso ha provocado que en vez de 18 meses, tiempo en que el organismo ten?a proyectado concluir el proceso, ahora haya sido reducido a 12 meses. Precis? que esa reducci?n del tiempo se debe a estrategias establecidas por el organismo, entre las que ......"

Or did I missunderstood?

Basically they understand that all cedulas will be renewed within 12 months but you know how it is here... unless you threaten people with having them pay fines for not doing it by "x" date, many people just wait until the last minute. I'm guessing a lot of those that are renewing theirs now have been expired for some time or need to update information that will be helpful to them. Although they're currently ahead of their schedule, I'd be surprised if they get everyone done in 12 months and decide to move the due date sooner.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
So it looks like instead of 18 months (deadline) it is now 12 months or (May 2015).
Most likely what will happen is if those people who have not done it by then will be
charged (instead of obtaining it for free)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am now totally confused! I renewed both my permanent residency and my cedula last May, both which are now in date until 16/05/2017 - are you telling me I need to make an extra trip in the meantime to get one of these biometric cedulas?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am now totally confused! I renewed both my permanent residency and my cedula last May, both which are now in date until 16/05/2017 - are you telling me I need to make an extra trip in the meantime to get one of these biometric cedulas?

I think so WB. Everyone has to have the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Ah, well, another excuse to visit the capital but at least I get to stay in the gorgeous Casa Sanchez hotel yet again!

Aug 21, 2007
Not to hijack, but this one is my favorite Colonial Zone hotel, Whirleybird. (Okay, you might need to hire someone to watch your car at night so it doesn't get stolen, but I still love the hotel.) Not fancy. Just has lots of culture and history.

Hotel Beaterio

Lindsey

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Yep. That's what they want you to do.

I went yesterday to get mine, but was not successful. They were still going through "Set up" pains, and there was probably 30 people (at least) there before me.

I talked to the girl in charge. She told me there was no cost, and I needed to bring my passport and a copy, plus my current cedula and my residence card.

I asked if I needed anything else, and she said that was it.

I'll go back in a day or two. No big deal for me, I live down the street.

Thank's for this information, JDJones. So for sure I'll will wait for the change. Because I've to travel from
the Northcoast.

Would be nice if you give actual informations later to us.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And what about if your existing cedula is out of date? Do you still have to pay the fine to get the new one?

Matilda