New Cedulas for Foreigners Begin Today

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Well I went today on the Luperone in Santo Domingo. They took my passport, residency card and cedula. After 90 minutes a woman called me and told me that they could give me a new free cedula but that it would expire on the date of my existing cedula (My existing cedula expires May, 2015). She went on to say that when I renewed my new cedula in 2015, I would have to pay a fee. (My residency expires in 3 1/2 years from now. ) She suggested I wait till my existing cedula card expires and then get the new free cedula. I followed her suggestion and I did not get the new cedula.

I am super glad I drove there and waited 90 minutes to be told this. NOT. They can complicate a fart!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wow, two different stories from JDJones and intedserve.... what a mess.

So if it's expired, do they give you a new expired cedula??????

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Well I went today on the Luperone in Santo Domingo. They took my passport, residency card and cedula. After 90 minutes a woman called me and told me that they could give me a new free cedula but that it would expire on the date of my existing cedula (My existing cedula expires May, 2015). She went on to say that when I renewed my new cedula in 2015, I would have to pay a fee. (My residency expires in 3 1/2 years from now. ) She suggested I wait till my existing cedula card expires and then get the new free cedula. I followed her suggestion and I did not get the new cedula.

I am super glad I drove there and waited 90 minutes to be told this. NOT. They can complicate a fart!

....."After 90 minutes a woman called me and told me that they could give me a new free cedula but that it would expire on the date of my existing cedula (My existing cedula expires May, 2015)."

This are good news for me. My C?dula and Residency are valid up to 8th May 2017. So if I now go to change just the
existing C?dula, I still have the same date for Ced. and Res.:bunny:

As we still have a little time for changing, I'll wait, hoping that it would be possible to do it in Puerto Plata p.e.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Renewed Cedulas (new version) are valid up to the same date as your permanent residency, they now 'BOTH' expire on the same day.

I was there today, 3 hours at immigration (expected) for new residency & then surprisingly spent 4 hours waiting for a new Cedula, the place was PACKED !!, good news was it cost nothing.

Go very early or perhaps later in the day (they close at six pm) but for sure and certain, Go with patience !.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I renewed my temporary residency last week. Process was simple, straightforward, and quick. (With exception of having to cross the street, sit in a plastic chair on the sidewalk to have my photo taken and then printed on a printer hand tied into the electrical wires above).

Then it was on to get my cedula. That was a no go as it was 3pm, waiting room was full, and they weren't taking additional people for the day.

So, back to the capital today arriving 11am for my cedula. Received #151 in line. They were calling #81 as I sat down. Waited until noon and they were on #89. Went to lunch for an hour. Came back and they were on #94. In 2 hours they had processed only 13 cedulas! At that point started asking questions and found out I could leave and if they called my # while gone I would be able to go in when I got there (did not lose my place). So, left for 3 hours, came back at 4:15 and they had called 153. So, I was allowed in with next group. All went quickly until printing MY card. The laminator ran out of plastic. This required loading the machine with new plastic, 3 reboots of it and the printer, and then finally I was out the door with my new cedula at 5pm. Thank the gods I had transportation and didn't sit there 5 hours waiting to be processed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe it's better to wait, eh? i renewed cedula twice before, each time it look 20 minutes.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I recently got my residency and cedula renewed... but then annoyingly lost my cedula about a month later! Have been meaning to figure out what to do to get a new one and now this may change things. However, I see I would still need to take my old cedula in order to get one of these new ones, correct? Any ideas what to do if I don't have my old cedula? Police report, along with residency and passport?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know dominicans need to fill up the police report if they want to replace lost/stolen cedula. i assume it's the same for foreigners. your cedula could have been just as well stolen and used in crime (to obtain credit or whatnot) so i would report it asap.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so any new updates on the wait for the new cedula? the last post on the "wait" got me concerned. seems like the person waited hours and hours to get to the ticket number. anyone has done it recently and can you give us some tips? I can't wait 4 hours there. i work on week days.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Seems too scary to even attempt to go there. I may have to call my contacts in the government to help me out here. I am not going to wait 4 hours there. no way.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow morning. If I'm first in, I should be out pretty quick. The process is fast, it's the line that's a PITA.

Get there at 6:30 as I went Friday and there were too many people so went back saturday morning and there were 8 people in line at 6:45.

Glad I booked an extra night in Hotel and then off to Boca Chica for the rest of the weekend to spend the $800 I saved by not using an attorney to renew my residency and I don't speak spanish.

I was the 10th person served and left at 9 am

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
so any new updates on the wait for the new cedula? the last post on the "wait" got me concerned. seems like the person waited hours and hours to get to the ticket number. anyone has done it recently and can you give us some tips? I can't wait 4 hours there. i work on week days.
AZB

If you're referring to my post, number is self-serve from a dispenser on the wall. Had it immediately. #151 with about 70 people in front of me waiting. Then had to go into office, give them passport, cedula and residency card. 10 minutes later they handed them back with a receipt for rd$0.00 (free) and the wait began as told above.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
AZB
I went in today at 2.3pm after finishing at imigracion. It was a packed house, and oddly i havent seen that many Asians in a room since my days back home in Vancouver. Kinda odd, I didnt stick around!

Feb 7, 2007
I got my cedula in La Romana, just by accident the first they they started issuing them.

I was collecting some payments from customers about 2 weeks ago, and I stopped by JCE (with the documentation required) to see if I could get the new cedula. Lo and behold, they just installed the machine that very same afternoon and I was like foreigner #4 or 5 that got the cedula that day. No waiting whatsoever (besides waiting between the steps while they still consulted with each other).

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Question for any of you guys that went already.

When you got there before 7, did you have to wait outside, or were you allowed to go inside and up the stairs to the cashier area?

I have a little bit of a problem going up stairs, and I don't want to get there first, only to have everybody run up the stairs before me when they open the door.

You have to wait outside and I have the same problem so my housekeeper stood in line for me while I took a nap in the taxi I had waiting.

It started raining Saturday morning so they opened the gate and you could hide under shelter outside and wait for the new BMW to arrive and they open the office at 8 am and then it takes another 30 minutes to turn on the computers and then someone brought 4 packs of ramen noodles and when they finished their soup they started to process our paperwork and was out of their more like 9:30 as I reflect back