new cholera outbreak in san cristobal

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how could rubbish have anything to do with it? Sometimes the press here does not do anything to help.

how? let's see.... a kid is sick. lots of poo in the nappy. cholera poo. nappy thrown away on a pile of unmoved trash by the side of the road. it rains. gutters flow with water, move old piles of trash. the water is contaminated already. kids play in the rain, in the gutters. they splash water, all over each other, faces included. people us the rain as a good occasion to clean, using rain water to wash floors and rinse the mop. kids play on the floor, a piece of food falls on the floor, is picked up. rubbish also blocks water exits, pipes, streams. causes water to rise, back up. that makes cloacas overflow and contaminate entire barrios.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Went to Las Salinas.. on the Bay Side.. Yes it was La Toma.. do not know what river that is.

Evidently there are lot of rivers there.. although I guess a lot of them are being used for hydro electricity as the beds are dry gravel when they reach the sea

but

El experto manifest? que en esa zona nacen los r?os Haina, Nigua, Nizao, Ban?, Ocoa y Yaque del Sur en la parte meridional y el Yuna, Yaque del Note y R?o Cam? en la regi?n septentrional.

so ..

www.NoticiasSC.com San Crist?bal, Rep?blica Dominicana: Experto Hidrol?gico plantea r?os de San Crist?bal y Ban? est?n muy degradados

I don't think La Toma is a river at all, but a large natural spring that they dammed up a very long time ago. The water is cool and constantly moving. I'm pretty sure one of the buildings there was Trujillo's private home.

I heard when we were there earlier this year that it had closed for awhile, then reopened after the mayor [ballplayer Raul Mondesi] had crews remove tons of debris and thoroughly clean the entire area.

We used to go there a lot when the kids were young, been awhile since we visited because the last time we went it was a madhouse with no place to even sit down.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
"Confused"?????????????????????????????????/
Don't worry, after multiple exposures, I have built up immunities to all "Orally Transmitted Diseases"!
You will TOO!
"Practice, Practice, Practice"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Really? That's great to hear! I am sure my 2 patients will be happy!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Dengue will stay a thingy to be careful with, now we are at the time of the year when we have most evenings/nights a shower coming down(talking about my place on the east, other areas may have other times of the year), so there will at many spots/empty lots etc etc always be some standing water left, perfect breeding grounds for the lil mozzie buggers, that includes the ones responsible for Dengue.
basically Dengue is present year around(again, speaking just my area on the East, not familiar with other areas on the case) but at this time of the year the cases rise in numbers, and Dengue chimes in thru all social levels, it is not restricted to poor communities or such, as fact most of the people i know who had dengue cases in their family during the last several years are from "good neighbourhoods" including high end residencies.

Mike

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Dengue will stay a thingy to be careful with, now we are at the time of the year when we have most evenings/nights a shower coming down(talking about my place on the east, other areas may have other times of the year), so there will at many spots/empty lots etc etc always be some standing water left, perfect breeding grounds for the lil mozzie buggers, that includes the ones responsible for Dengue.
basically Dengue is present year around(again, speaking just my area on the East, not familiar with other areas on the case) but at this time of the year the cases rise in numbers, and Dengue chimes in thru all social levels, it is not restricted to poor communities or such, as fact most of the people i know who had dengue cases in their family during the last several years are from "good neighbourhoods" including high end residencies.

Mike

Sounds about right. You can avoid and prevent cholera pretty easily, dengue not so much. The good news is neither one will kill you if you are a healthy adult. You will just feel like you want to die.Both are great if you want to lose 10 to 15 pounds in a week.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
do not mean to hijack but came across this one // Alerta: en Cotu? se respira muerte - Peri?dico Digital Dominicano - 7d?as.com.do

are they talking about cyanide? and is this not close to a resevoir? Cholera on the left, cyanide on the right, wait, i can feel the tune coming..
Today's DR1 News
CMD confirms increase of disease in Barrick mine area
People living near Barrick Gold's Pueblo Viejo gold mine installations are already suffering the dire consequences of what is described as widespread pollution in the area blamed on the use of cyanide for gold mining.
7dias.com.do reports that on Friday 23 August, a team of doctors from the Dominican Medical Association (CMD) and the online environmental network, National Environmental Assembly, were in Sanchez Ramirez province to see for themselves "the terrible consequences of the mining operations in its first year of operation."
"The situation is very serious and very unfortunate," said CMD president Dr. Amarilis Herrera, who reported seeing more than 30 cases of cyanide poisoning in a single morning.
Some mornings, say local residents, the smell of cyanide, "a hellish stench," invades their farmlands, their houses and bedrooms and there is no way of stopping it. "The stink is unbearable, we don't know where to go and when it rains, it is even stronger," said Pedro Nunez. The report says that the substance has infiltrated the rivers, a source of life for people in these communities, and the waters are unusable. The reporter says that Barrick is well aware of this because it is distributing four 5-gallon bottles of water per family every three days to prevent them from using river water. Former cattle rancher Gavino Guzman of Las Lagunas said he has a severe ulcer on his right foot and all his cattle have died.
Breathing problems, skin ulcers, throat problems, gastric ailments, dizziness, diarrhea, and headaches are the most common consequences of the pollution, says the report.
Dr. Herrera says that if the situation continues, "people are going to start dying, these are very toxic metals that damage the brain and other organs," she said, as reported in 7dias.com.do
She warned that this is only a sample of what could happen nationwide. "All this is going to go on spreading and it could become regional and subsequently national pollution, and the consequences are going to be very unfortunate for this country," she said.
The promised mega-mining development is a cruel trick by the government and these companies at the expense of people living in La Pinita, La Cerca, Las Lagunas and other neighboring communities, says the report. "Barrick has not benefitted us in any way, some got jobs but only for four months and now we are just as poor but we are sick," said Joanna Garcia.
Alerta: en Cotu? se respira muerte - Peri?dico Digital Dominicano - 7d?as.com.do

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in addition cyanide is highly soluble in water and can enter the body via skin contact, not only ingestion.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sad but true.
i am not a mining expert or such, but since many years the reports are out about those big abuses of people living in the areas of the Mining farms. in every first world country the Mining companies working that unresponsible would be closed down and the big shots in charge would spend long jailtimes, plus big compensation payments etc etc etc.
the way mining is done by the big shots here on the Island is one of the things run like things been done back in the days of slavery, when nobody cared not even a little bit about human lifes/health etc, just about the big profit to be done.
i am not familiar with statistics about the theme, but i bet that people living in those areas show a far lower average of a lifetime span than the rest of the country, FAR less.
and for profits which are not much for the country, they go elsewhere.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this thread has touched many subjects...
just to finish reporting, there are 57 deaths this year due to dengue, as you might have read in few different newspapers.

cholera is also causing more issues in san cristobal with more than a hundred people presenting symptoms. salud publica decided to open the points of oral hydration: Instalan m?dulos de rehidrataci?n oral por el c?lera - listindiario.com
also, rios yubazo and nigua have been militarized: Z 101

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the isolation of the rivers, Militarizing them, is a nneded measurement and by far not used widely enough. the rivers are the big danger point in case of spreading cholera around, and that said as fact til today we are this hurricane season lucky to run levels far below of what happens waterwise during many seasons in august. when the rivers run wild after a storm all da sh.it in them will be spilled into the groundwater everywhere and come back up into the daily cycles of human live for a very wide area, to be spread out even much more.
the watersources, specially the rivers, are a keypoint, and in my opinion by far not enough taken care about.
an other couple years and we will have it in All rivers around the Isle, and keep in mind that there exists no kinda magic on the globe which could be thrown in there to make 'em clean again, for decades and more to come.

Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What does that mean, to militarize them? post military around them to keep people out of them?

Will cholor kill the malaria once it is in the INAPA system, in the water pipes? Can they at least do that?

Why are all these people getting sick? This is not like Haiti where they are getting their water from the rivers..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
militarize is basically to patrol with police and military, limit access.

cloro will kill cholera but it needs time. basically, for the water to be safe you will need to add about 2 drops of bleach per liter of water and let is stand for a while, minimum half an hour. it would be best to boil it afterwards anyways. and let it boil for at least a minute. both those methods can be used separately, if needed.
in this light i cannot see adding cloro to running water would make a difference. adding it to the cistern or a tinaco - yes.

MA, people are getting sick because water aqueduct is contaminated. so people wash in contaminated water and use it for food preparation.

my advice for everyone on this board is to prevent and be ready. put a pill of cloro in your cistern or add it to your tinaco.
if you cannot control your water source (in apartment blocks) use bottled water for drinking and food preparation.
keep at home hydrating salts so you can help by immediately hydrating sick person. those packets are cheap, from 25 to 50 pesos, soluble in one liter of water.
purchase one of those limpia manita things and clean your hands often, before and after using public toilets, before and after eating.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A few papers are reporting today that the military is stationed at the Rio Nigua in San Cristobal province, to prevent bathing and fishing. There are now 127 cases.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yea, yesteday there was an article about san cristobal residents blaming salud publica and ayutamiento for the outbreak of a cholera and today it's about military stopping people from bathing in contaminated water. if you know the water is contaminated don't go to swim there! but no. no fui yo.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's what i complain about:
it is done AFTERWARDS!!!
the facts are simple. we have a full cholera outbreak on the Island, and never in history any country could stop a cholera outbreak on any kinda border, or just by picking up the trash of a specific community.
anyways, cholera is since very long not just in a specific location, it is very widespread and today's people travel, which make's the spreading out of everything much easier and much quicker.
the only "maybe" effective way to restrict cholera to specific areas/hinder a further spreading-out, is to shut down the known sources/areas and also to shut down suspected future sources.
it is known that the Water is the carrier of cholera, so the rivers bring it cross country to EVERYWHERE, it reaches the sewer systems and everything else, it can NOT be taken out and destroyed.
Only hardest and strictly enforced measurements can isolate it as much as possible(never completely, there will be cases for the next 100 years and most likely much more time to come), militarizing ALL Rivers and strict enforcement of NO Fishing and NO Bathing in ALL Rivers is the only effective way to slow down the widespread, to cut down significantly on upcoming new cases.
and we will have for SURE new cases, and we will get them in new areas/provinces.
it is worth nothing to play a naive clueless behavior, it is worthless to think that cholera is only present in specific border areas and will not pop up in other areas, there is NO Area on the whole Island that could be named a Safe Location where nobody could get Cholera, such location will not exist for the next hundred years to come.
yes, it sounds harsh, it IS harsh, but where ever a number of cases comes up at the almost same time, that small area/barrio has to get shut down, noone in nor out, till all is checked an cleared, including the source found and shut down/isolated from getting in touch with humans.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mike, the problem is not with the authorities. they can militarize entire areas, clean the rubbish, test the water, to no avail. cholera is here and it is here to stay, just like you said. the only way to reduce the number of the affected is... not to let yourself be affected! and that is down to the same people who are now b**ching about the government not doing anything. what can i say? the government is working on the information campaign and only the knowledge can help you here. how to treat the water, it's simple. bleach is not expensive, nor is boiling. and just those two things are the key to protect from cholera. simple cleanliness.

and yes, this is a responsibility of ayutamiento to remove the rubbish but it is a responsibility of an individual to put it in a rubbish bin and not throw directly onto the street. it is a responsibility of an individual to dig a small hole in which to take a dump and not use the river - the very same river in which he will later bathe and take the water for cooking.