new cholera outbreak in san cristobal

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you are right, dv8,
but you also know that Individuals will not do anything for themselfs as long as not FORCED to do so by the authorities. the same thingy around the globe, there are always so many who will not do so, and they are enough in numbers to spread it out.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, mike, i know :( this is why a constant educational project has to be applied. so that people are reminded day after day about stuff until if becomes a routine and the next generation views it as a must.

interesting thing about cholera is that despite the fact that there is a vaccine (which is not 100% effective), at times it is not even recommended and instead, prevention is encouraged.

hopefully this outbreak will teach dominicans something. first, it will bring the attention to the tragic situation regarding rubbish collection and maintenance by local authorities and secondly, it will rise the environmental awareness of individuals.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Annie used your critical thinking skills. Cholera rarely shows up in sanitary conditions.

Well if the water for my tinanco is coming from a river that is contaminated, it really does not matter how clean my kitchen is, does it? I do not know how the water for Santo Dominigo is collected. It is collected into a cistern here in the apartment from the street twice a day and pumped up to the cisterns on the roof. My cistern is around 100 gallons. There are days when I have run out.

So if the river is contaminated, then INAPA probably does not have enough time to do a treatment.

I certainly do not drink the water. But I use it to wash the dishes. and floors.. etc..

so how sanitary can the house be if I am using cholera infected water?

If this is really from the municipal water supply I am sorta surprised that there are not more outbreaks.

Maybe the people were actually drinking the water.. which the authorities .. say.. is ... drinkable?

how silly of them!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
now we just have to hope that the actually nearby present Invest97L will not stall over Hispaniola (the national hurricane center is actually expecting exactly that), as that would bring heaviest rainfalls to the region and would flood rivers and everything else which is "made" of water. what ever is in any river there, would be swapped over the defines and spread out over the surroundings, rinsing down to the deepest spots of waterreservoirs.

mucho cloro, muuucho cloro

Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The head of Public Health in Haiti has said that they will be sure to give everyone who asks a medical history folder should they wish to join the class action suit that some Haitian lawyers are mounting against the United Nations, Le Nouvelliste - Cholra : Portez plainte si vous vous sentez lss!. (I am unable to cut and paste from that cite).

A study from Yale University has found that the UN troops were definitely responssible for introducing cholera into the water of the Artibonite River. The UN has claimed, essentially, dipolomatic immunity.

The case is asking for 100,000 dollars for every death and 50,000 for each person infected.

So, perhaps the Public Health system of the DR would like to join in the suit?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
since this thread is now about many events i wanted to bring some recent articles to your attention.

the number of deaths due to dengue is now 59 with over 8 thousand affected:
Son ya 59 las muertes oficiales por la epidemia del dengue - DiarioLibre.com

the storm season is in full swing and both government and people know the dangers of cholera yet in SD streets are still filled with the trash that has not been removed:
Son ya 59 las muertes oficiales por la epidemia del dengue - DiarioLibre.com
which is due to the ongoing problem with duquesa.