NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
It is doubtful whether or not Las 63-17 will go into effect. They still lack regulations, some 44 of them, and they have not implemented the vast public education program that is part and parcel of the law.

The requirements as I have "heard" are fire extinguisher, triangle and first aid kit.

in the old Law 241 you were required to have a needle and thread (and, I suppose, the ability to sew up anyone injured in an accident.) But those were the old days.. There are fire extinguisher companies that can provide one or there is Amazon. Triangles were once required (another ploy to help a close friend of the government) but that has been ignored for a long time. Can't say it is not a good thing to have them.

The comment about robbing the dead and injured is as true as it is gruesome. True vultures. Oh well, you can always fly home, I suppose. Unless this is home???

HB, somewhat of a curmudgeon.

The next newbie that comes along asking for ideas about what kind of business to start in the DR we can advise first aid kits, triangles and fire extinguishers.
De Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The smaller chemical extinguishers that are likely to be purchased and kept in a passenger vehicle are usually too small to be very effective. By the time you get to aiming at the correct spot, they are all but expended. Something is better than nothing but not too may electrical or fuel fires will be extinguished with these.

Triangles are a great idea and a benefit for those of us with headlights that work provided the motorist is prepared to walk at least 300 feet behind their car to place them properly so that oncoming traffic has sufficient time to react. A first aid kit assumes that there is someone present who knows what the various stuff is for and how to use it. That might be a big leap of faith in this country initially - here is another course idea for DRSix.

The triangle, first aid kit, vest and an extinguisher have the potential to be of value in a minor accident but so much more needs to be done to curb the slaughter on the roads that this equipment is but a feel good bandaid for a situation where most do not feel inclined to stop and help, have no practical skills to render much assistance apart from throwing someone in the back of a pickup truck and I am afraid will be of little value beyond becoming another reason for a roadside cash collection effort.

Getting the clunkers off the road, enforcing speed limits, no passing zones, ensuring that vehicles are in good running order and most drivers observe the general rules of the road can accomplish so much more than this this newest initiative.   

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why?
Der Fish

Better question fish is why not! I believe all drivers should have a valid license, rather that most here finding at the bottom off the corn flke box. If they had the slightest idea of road rules would be a big help.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Better question fish is why not! I believe all drivers should have a valid license, rather that most here finding at the bottom off the corn flke box. If they had the slightest idea of road rules would be a big help.

In my case and this has been hashed back and forth ad nauseum, my legal privilege to drive perspired when my so called tourist card did, and left me without a legal license. Nor when I got stopped for speeding it never seemed to matter to the kid dressed up in the uniform that I was not legally driving.
Der Fish

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In my case and this has been hashed back and forth ad nauseum, my legal privilege to drive perspired when my so called tourist card did, and left me without a legal license. Nor when I got stopped for speeding it never seemed to matter to the kid dressed up in the uniform that I was not legally driving.
Der Fish

well lucky you.
Maybe the next time the kid, will you never know.
Conducir sin portar licencia Ley 241 art. 29 1,000.00
Conducir con licencia vencida Ley 241 art. 40 1,000.00

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Could we dare ask to enforce the left lane as the "fast lane" on the highways!!! Jalopy's that will never go over the speed of 25km/hr can stay in the right lane or shoulder.

or maybe an IQ test when applying for a license.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
How about just limiting drivers to 6 el presidentes instead of no limits at all, and no stopping on the main road with the door open to pee pee

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Der Fish

How often do your legal privileges sweat?

jofisa2020

Jan 8, 2017
well lucky you.
Maybe the next time the kid, will you never know.
Conducir sin portar licenciaLey 241 art. 291,000.00
Conducir con licencia vencidaLey 241 art. 401,000.00

It's only for foreigners the rest pay with smiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was in a local repuesto in Cabarete the other day. They had the triangle, first aid kit, and fire extinguishers for sale - about 800 pesos for all three. The owners said it was the law, but hasn't heard of it ever being enforced so far.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was in a local repuesto in Cabarete the other day. They had the triangle, first aid kit, and fire extinguishers for sale - about 800 pesos for all three. The owners said it was the law, but hasn't heard of it ever being enforced so far.

My insurance agent in Sosua was trying to sell me just the jacket and triangle for 1,000 pesos yesterday. I declined, but if anyone gets checked and fined for this, please let the rest of us know!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My insurance agent in Sosua was trying to sell me just the jacket and triangle for 1,000 pesos yesterday. I declined, but if anyone gets checked and fined for this, please let the rest of us know!

As far as I know, the jacket/vest is not required.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I would like to know exactly what is required, even under old rules. Anyone have a link or actual info? I can order a kit from Amazon for about $25, but no fire extinguisher...and a bunch of stuff I don't need.... but it would be nice to know for sure before I do..

Thanks!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I would like to know exactly what is required, even under old rules. Anyone have a link or actual info? I can order a kit from Amazon for about $25, but no fire extinguisher...and a bunch of stuff I don't need.... but it would be nice to know for sure before I do..

Thanks!

A fire extinguisher is always a nice piece of kit to own.........
Ochoa has a whole range.......
I wouldnt count on the local fire department in case of a fire........ so an extinguisher or 2 or 3 is always handy ;)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is no reference in this link to "extintor, triángulo or botiquín de primeros auxilios"

Is this the new law ? or is there another link ?

From my glance through I would agree.

But I bought my triangle today for 300rd in Unidos because it is needed if you ever break down on a winding road, like Moca to Sabanete. And I saw the value of one on that stretch of road Saturday where a motorist had broken down in the worst of locations. A tree branch would not have been much use in the heavy shower that was drenching the road at that time.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I have heard today, as of August 1st, you must have a HIGH VISIBILITY VEST, REFLECTIVE TRIANGLE and FIRST AID KIT in your car at ALL times.

The vest is now being sold in Insurance offices (in Sosua anyway)!

If you don't...... you'll get a $5000 peso fine.

(Just what I've heard).

I heard from July 7th? Which date is correct?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012

Which repuesto was this?