NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... I'm not wasting any m oney buying this stuff until I have too.

Having some supplies to aid in being able to stem the blood flow from a roadside gunshot wound or grill drill, may not be a bad thing. Certainly having something to warn approaching traffic of a breakdown that is substantially more effective than a stone or a stick is a good idea in this land speed and inattentiveness.

A waste of money? No more than a set of decent jumper cables.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I can tell you that the law most certainly is in effect in the capital and yesterday in Ave Mella ,there was a jam as AMET gave out many fines . I quickly ducked into Ferreteria Americana and bought the set triangle which comes in a thin box and expands when needed, a ready packed firstaid kit in red cover and the fire extinguisher ..cost was 1450 pesos and there are shelves of them if people in the capital are looking to buy.. 1500 pesos spent on something worthwhile is better than a multa of 5000 pesos .

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I just bought a fire extinguisher and first aid kit from a guy in the Banco Popular car park Sosua for 1289 pesos. About 6 other gringos did the same! He also has the triangles!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Sure great contributions to road safety..

The requirement for lights front and rear, ability to conform with traffic regulations,some form of driving test,roads made to safety standards,isolating pedestrians and animals from main arteries etc.etc. not yet covered,

but hey! You can treat a gunshot wound...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Having some supplies to aid in being able to stem the blood flow from a roadside gunshot wound or grill drill, may not be a bad thing. Certainly having something to warn approaching traffic of a breakdown that is substantially more effective than a stone or a stick is a good idea in this land speed and inattentiveness.

A waste of money? No more than a set of decent jumper cables.

And you will stop to assist???? as if!!!!! You'll keep driving as we all would. Also, there are more motos than vehicles in this country and they are not required this kits nor can they fit on a moto. This is nothing more than a tax grab, it has nothing to do with helping anybody out except the pockets of the government.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was think more along the lines of you administering first aid to a passenger in your vehicle or they to you. If you do break down, putting out a warning triangle may prevent Roberto from pranging you into the next life while you wait for MOPC, or maybe not. You're an adult, I assume, you can do whatever you want.

I don't think anyone can claim that having a basic first aid kit available is a bad thing.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Tax grab maybe , but my first thought is , now they're going to have the legal right to arbitrarily pull you over and search , to be sure you have the equipment .....arbitrary

/ˈɑːbɪt(rə)ri/

adjective

adjective: arbitrary

based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.
"an arbitrary decision"

synonyms: capricious, whimsical, random, chance, erratic, unpredictable, inconsistent, wild, hit-or-miss, haphazard, casual; More
unmotivated, motiveless, unreasoned, unreasonable, unsupported, irrational, illogical, groundless, unjustifiable, unjustified, wanton;

discretionary, personal, subjective;

rarediscretional

"an arbitrary decision from the top"

antonyms: rational, reasoned

(of power or a ruling body) unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority.
"a country under arbitrary government"

synonyms: despotic, tyrannical, tyrannous, peremptory, summary, autocratic, dictatorial, authoritarian, draconian, autarchic, anti-democratic

AmNotDutch

Jul 13, 2017
This is a hilarious thread. My wife and I haven't been to DR since 2004. We will be there in about a week and then we will see if much has changed. Driving there used to be pretty simple. As long as you could fit into the dance that is traffic in the Dominican Republic and could get a handle on the unwritten rules, driving was not a problem. you have to accept the fact that the motoconcho drivers live in an alternate universe. Some people can't dance, so it is just their destiny to have problems driving in the DR.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am sure some big head importing this kit have a close friend far up in AMET or the DR law makers - or maybe one of those is the importer... !!! Making a killing now... (the last remaining safety issue with DR transportation system is resolved now...lol)

I still doubt many local Dominicans buying the stuff, I mean imagine one of those caro publicos splashing 1500 pesos - but in fact if anyone needs it is them. Search all the taxis, mini-vans, buses and other public transport to see how many of them have these...

Good point about stop and search, nice excuse - though never let them search, just say you have it and hand it over for inspection, you heard about planting stuff during body/bag/car searches by authorities - God forbid that never happens here.... wink wink...!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have finally abandoned night driving.It was bad before but since the introduction of those high power LED lights it is now impossible for me.
Not much point me carrying a flashlight...

But we can still treat ruptured kidneys,missing limbs and brain hemorrhages with our boutiquins
(Better wear rubber gloves as well I reckon...

) and extinguish blazing gas tankers...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe not a bad idea, bit never once in 50+ years of driving have I ever had a use for any of these items. Instead of writing more laws to fine motorists, AMET's time would be better spent increasing safety and saving lives by more enforcement of laws they already have on the books - like making moto drivers and their passengers wear helmets.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I purchased a fire extinguisher, tiny first aid kit and a collapsible traffic cone (not a triangle) today for 1500 pesos. They didn't have any vests in stock. The guy at the store said I could probably get away with not having it, but I prefer to be completely within the law. I like cone, but I'll probably get triangle if I can find one.

Where ?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I can tell you that the law most certainly is in effect in the capital and yesterday in Ave Mella ,there was a jam as AMET gave out many fines . I quickly ducked into Ferreteria Americana and bought the set triangle which comes in a thin box and expands when needed, a ready packed firstaid kit in red cover and the fire extinguisher ..cost was 1450 pesos and there are shelves of them if people in the capital are looking to buy.. 1500 pesos spent on something worthwhile is better than a multa of 5000 pesos .

Didn't someone say this law doesn't come into effect until August 1st?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Many of the posts and all of the repuestos I've been to say you need a triangle, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit. Some posters are now saying a reflective vest is required. Any idea which is correct?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I am sure some big head importing this kit have a close friend far up in AMET or the DR law makers - or maybe one of those is the importer... !!! Making a killing now... (the last remaining safety issue with DR transportation system is resolved now...lol)

I still doubt many local Dominicans buying the stuff, I mean imagine one of those caro publicos splashing 1500 pesos - but in fact if anyone needs it is them. Search all the taxis, mini-vans, buses and other public transport to see how many of them have these...

Good point about stop and search, nice excuse - though never let them search, just say you have it and hand it over for inspection, you heard about planting stuff during body/bag/car searches by authorities - God forbid that never happens here.... wink wink...!

Hopefully, all the Uber drivers have their kits.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Many of the posts and all of the repuestos I've been to say you need a triangle, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit. Some posters are now saying a reflective vest is required. Any idea which is correct?

We finally have a thread that just may match the 30 day tourist card dilemma.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Wasn't it not too long ago that there was a new poster who was inquiring into the prospects and feasibility of importing and selling first aid kids? I'm not joking, it was a while back.