New US immigration law impacts Dominicans Dominicantoday

Status
Not open for further replies.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Within the article it says
"Likewise, those who receive food stamps, medical services for people of low income (Medicaid)
and those subsidized for housing programs, also called Section 8 and aid given to single mothers."

If I am planning to reside in a foreign country (as I currently am) I do not expect the host country
to pick up the tab and neither should anyone else. Look at like cutting the umbilical cord.

It's a shame that lot of immigrants from third world countries, north africa, pakistan, afghanistan etc take advantages of the social support system. Once they come to North america or Europe, want to sit and enjoy the social aid provided to them without any effort. Good it is coming to an end. Unfortunately it is a bane for those who really need help.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can't really blame those who make use of a system that we have made available to them. In the post above, the poster specifically mentions immigrants from the third world; I put it to you that all immigrants relocate because of some advantage in doing so.

The advantage may be as benign as better weather or as self motivating as monthly social benefits that far exceed what that they could earn in their home country. They come because "we" make it advantageous and possible to do so. After all, some of us privileged 1st world folks come to the DR to live specifically because it's possible to do so whereas other countries are much more difficult to get established in.

Same mentality at play just a different benefit category. It is us that have made our countries appealing for refugees and it is us that must bear the responsibilities for allowing the migration and entrance of less than qualified immigrants. If you repeatedly put out a bowl of milk, you can't really blame the cats that come from far and wide for a drink...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's a shame that lot of immigrants from third world countries, north africa, pakistan, afghanistan etc take advantages of the social support system. Once they come to North america or Europe, want to sit and enjoy the social aid provided to them without any effort. Good it is coming to an end. Unfortunately it is a bane for those who really need help.

Saying it will come to an end, trying to get it to come to an end, and actually making it come to an end are three different things. Time will tell how much change there really is and the next version of government can put it all back.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Closing this for the time being. Will reopen if there are any more updates regarding Dominicans and the new law.

Status
Not open for further replies.