No blacks, no gays... Rua's Bar defends policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hold on wait a minute, what do you mean push you all with our racism "crap"? And how would we make fun of the way you identify yourselves? At least dark skinned people in the US can work simple jobs like front desk at expensive hotels. We weren't afraid to fight in the 50's and 60's.. (dont get me started on how it all ended in the 90's and 2000's) Anyway, I have read, read, re-read, written papers on racial identity in Latin America. I don't get it, I couldn't stand it and I wish a person who is only one or two skin shades lighter than I would consider themselves WHITE.. Unthinkable.. Fine you may not be BLACK, but your Bronze/Brown ass sure isn't WHITE! Okay, I had to get that out of my system because you really rubbed me the wrong way!

Wow, got a big chip on that shoulder. You can think of youirself as whatever you want, just as Halee Berry can be black or white, or bi-racial, multi-racial, or just one very attractive woman.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
Wow, got a big chip on that shoulder. You nocan think of youirself as whatever you want, just as Halee Berry can be black or white, or bi-racial, multi-racial, or just one very attractive woman.
No, I just don't see how someone who is obviously Brown thinks that they are White. They may not be black, but they sure aren't white. I think that's what people mean when they speak of non-white skinned latinos who consider themselves to be something they are not. And NO Ms. Berry can't all herself White. Ask any white person what color she is, they won't say black but they sure as hell won't say WHITE.

No chip on my shoulder, seems like the folks south of the border have more chips than they can bear.

Reactions: RacerX

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No, I just don't see how someone who is obviously Brown thinks that they are White. They may not be black, but they sure aren't white. I think that's what people mean when they speak of non-white skinned latinos who consider themselves to be something they are not. And NO Ms. Berry can't all herself White. Ask any white person what color she is, they won't say black but they sure as hell won't say WHITE.

No chip on my shoulder, seems like the folks south of the border have more chips than they can bear.

Is it about colour or about attitude. I have been to a few after hours clubs in various cities across Canada and the USA and most are very selective on whom they sell a " membership" to. I'm sure very attractive dark skinned girls that are dressed in a manner acceptable to management are in like flin.

Jan 3, 2003
Well maybe I shouldnt come down in August. Damn, in the US racism is subtle. I see in te DR its all in open. I'll keep my dark skinned black American ass in the US.. uuugh!

If your ass is round and firm a la bubble but, then come on down. Dominicans well be very much interested in a firm, round BLACK ass. Please come down.

If it's sagging, sloppy and cellulose ridden, then please stay at home as it would be a health concern for Dominican men.

Thank you-

BTW, the DR population is what AA's like yourself would consider BLACK just that what AA's would consider light skinned blacks back in the states, in the DR they consider themselves INDIO or non-black but Indian.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
BTW, the DR population is what AA's like yourself would consider BLACK just that what AA's would consider light skinned blacks back in the states, in the DR they consider themselves INDIO or non-black but Indian.

Black, brown, tan or white, when the lights are off it's all the same, unless green

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Manager of Rua's Bar and lounge in the capital defends policy of barring black and homosexual patrons:

“Rua's reserves the right to admission, it’s a right which bars have to decide who can and who cannot enter, our public is demanding and elite and decides whom to rub elbows with and whom not,”

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...ays-Dominican-Republic-bar-sticks-by-its-ways

Personally, I don't like the policy... but believe they should have the right to make their own policy as a private business.

Thoughts?

To open another bar across the street for gays and blacks only. With exactly same drinks. Isn`t it a solution that makes everyone happy?

Just an idea.

Segregation has nothing to do with skin color. In modern Russia all population is white, but it is segregated into a small exclusive group of havs-musters billionaires and a huge crowd of havenots-slaves. They all have the same Constitution but totally different rights, means and powers.

Black or not-black - is not a segregation any longer.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Wow, got a big chip on that shoulder. You can think of youirself as whatever you want, just as Halee Berry can be black or white, or bi-racial, multi-racial, or just one very attractive woman.

There's no such thing as bi racial. Dominicans have the DNA of African slaves who were brought here by the Spaniards to harvest sugar , tend cattle , and do everything except pick cotton ( wrong kind of soil ). The laws , written by American Slaveholders and those in the business of slavery made it clear who could and could not be sold during this period. The mulatto children, even the children of the white master were sold , even those with white features due tot the law. It was called the " One drop of blood rule ". It was the law in most slave holding states and countries such as the D.R. and Haiti where slavery had existed ( Haiti threw it off with a rebellion )

One Drop rule

Therefore , there is no mixed race , one drop of black blood makes one black. Poet and Author Jean Toomer , grandson of the first Black U.S. Senator but had a white mother and grandmother and appeared white , found this out the hard way when he identified himself as a black man.

Jean Toomer Biography

The Taino died out , there are no " Indio " on the D.R. it's a myth.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
No big deal..

People really do need to understand what "black" means in the Dominican Republic. This mainly applies to Haitians. I am Halle Berry's color and am not considered black there. They considered me indio, mulato, moreno claro but never "negro" (black.)

I would assume if someone has money they can get in. I don't even think dark skinned AA's should worry because enough AA's go to the DR so that Dominicans can tell the difference.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
There's no such thing as bi racial.

jaiallen that kind of talk is going to get you in trouble! The one drop rule is someone totally exclsive to the United States. The one drop rule does not exist in Latin America. If you are mixed you are black and white. You should embrace both sides as it is something to be proud of.

People say Dominicans are racist but it isn't true. I think the media exagerates a lot on the DR Haitian debate. I've befriended many Dominicans while there and have seen many Dominicans and Haitians interacting. But when it's said and done Dominicans are not black in the sense of the word. AA's aren't really even black as that mid brown color that most AA's have is a result of some European ancestry.

To me black is African, someone that has little to no European ancestry. And pure black is a very beautiful color when you see it by the way.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
People really do need to understand what "black" means in the Dominican Republic. This mainly applies to Haitians. I am Halle Berry's color and am not considered black there. They considered me indio, mulato, moreno claro but never "negro" (black.)

I would assume if someone has money they can get in. I don't even think dark skinned AA's should worry because enough AA's go to the DR so that Dominicans can tell the difference.
It was dark skinned black U.S. embassy employees that were ejected. Obviously not.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Is this posted outside the bar for all to see?

I hope it is because I would have thought that the majority of people are civilised and decent enough to snub the establishment on the basis of these rules.

In that case the owner would be hitting himself in the pocket which in my opinion would be nice. Although hitting him in the face would be nicer still.

Paul

Reactions: waytogo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I heard the bar was full to the rafters last night.

Thread closed as it's starting to get all wobbly!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yup, JR. I think Robert let this thread continue as I tried to direct it toward the policy of the bar, not devolve into a discussion of one's personal opinions on race or homosexuality. So much for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.