No one in DR should go hungry!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
you really do have a firm grasp on the culture of the rank and file. i was in a caseta on the malecon once, and this guy asked me for some money to buy food. he was dying of hunger, by his report. i told the waitress to bring him a meal of his choosing.

no thanks, he said. he would rather have the money. why, you ask?

"no me gusta plato del dia."

gorgon don't believe that story. Why don't you and I pretend for a second the story is true. The hooker only needed 300RD and CC purchased a 1000RD can of milk for her instead. Being from Jamaica and NYC what will be her 1st reaction if CC does not have the 300RD he promise her but instead a 1000RD can of milk????? She knows exactly how much the can was worth even before CC may of or may not have told her the price.

My next question is how fast do you think she could sale a 1000RD can of milk in Santo Domingo for 300RD which is what she needed in the 1st place????

If CC gave her the can in the morning do you think there is any chance in the world that 1000RD can of milk will not be sold and she will have 300RD in her hand by night fall????????

A plate of food or a bag of papas is totally different then a 1000RD can of milk. The whole point of the story was prove Dominican hookers do not have sex for their kids.

300RD for sex in Santo Domingo PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Malnutrition in the Dominican Republic

Between 1940 and 1989, malnutrition was responsible for 265,000 deaths of children under five years of age who would have been between the ages of 15 and 64 in 2004, and would have made up part of the working population.

According to the State of the World’s Children Report for 2007, between the years 1998-2005 some 11% of babies were born with a low birth rate, and between the years 1995-2005 2% suffered from moderate and serious malnutrition and 9% from chronic (age-for-weight), moderate and severe malnutrition.

According to a study by ECLAC and the WFP in 2006, the Dominican Republic formed part of a group of countries that registered a low prevalence of malnutrition in Latin America and the Caribbean, with a ponderal deficit affecting one of every 19 boys and girls under the age of five and low height in 1/11 of this age group.

However, according to ENHOGAR 2006, height for age deficiency is found in 7% of boys and girls under the age of five, and is severe in 2%. The areas with the greatest rates of chronic malnutrition were the Enriquillo Region with 10%, El Valle with 9% and North Eastern Cibao with 9%. San Juan de la Maguana and El?as Pi?a are two other areas with the highest rates of malnutrition, with 6% of boys and girls displaying acute symptoms.

A recent preliminary study by ENDESA 2007 set the rate of chronic malnutrition in under-fives using the new WHO criteria, at 9.8%. It observed the way in which the mother’s educational level influenced malnutrition rates, and found that 15.4% of children of mothers with no education suffered from chronic malnutrition, while 9.4% and 4.7% in children of mothers with secondary or higher education levels respectively.

The survey also shows that the low rate of exclusive breastfeeding is a decisive factor in determining malnutrition levels in babies under the age of six months, which is just 2.1%. This situation is responsible for the high prevalence of acute malnutrition among babies under the age of six months, which is 5.6%, in contrast with the rate of malnutrition in children between the ages of 18 to 23 months, where it is 0.6%.

These results show that although the country is heading towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, efforts need to continue in order to meet the commitments by 2015.

By: Loreta Acevedo
With contributions from Sara Men?ndez

Sources:

Progress for Children: An Evaluation of Nutrition. No. 4/UNICEF, 2006.

State of the World’s Children. /UNICEF, 2006

The Cost of Hunger: The Economic and Social Impact of Childhood Malnutrition: Dominican Republic/Economic

Commission for Latin America (ECLAC); World Food Programme, 2006.

Demographic and Health Survey 2007: Preliminary Report; CESDEM, 2007

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
That would be a problem.
I do not doubt that there are hungry people in the DR. Most of them are not begging CC for milk, however.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
I Plant Trees!
I/we are eating Mangos/Avocados/ naranjas here from trees I planted over 10 years ago!
Also platanos, bananas, Juan Dules, sugar cane, and more short term plantings.
There is a lot of available space where people COULD easily plant "Stuff" yet they for the most part DON'T!!!!
Plant Mango & Avocado trees in every vacant spot in the country.
They could be for anyone who wants them.
Like THAT would ever work here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I know what you mean about the part that people could easily plant stuff but choose not to. My mother have a house in the campo of Salcedo, and the neighbors always have their eyes set on the 2 avocado trees my mom have in the backyard. They always take some avocadoes without permission, despite them having plenty of space to plant their own trees!!! The same shiat happens in my grandmother's property!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know what you mean about the part that people could easily plant stuff but choose not to. My mother have a house in the campo of Salcedo, and the neighbors always have their eyes set on the 2 avocado trees my mom have in the backyard. They always take some avocadoes without permission, despite them having plenty of space to plant their own trees!!! The same shiat happens in my grandmother's property!

Now you sound like us. Our property where we live is 15 tareas, and we have literally hundreds of trees: 6-7 different mango, several different bananas, platano, rulos, limon, nispero, suliman, coconut, cherries, about 6 different avocado varieties, plus yuca, onions, peppers, etc. Our neighbors have a lot of empty land, most of them would rather sneak onto our property and steal stuff than to plant something.

When our caretaker reprimanded someone when he caught them stealing fruit, they threatened to cut his head off with a machete. [They come with a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with fruit, and go down to the beach and sell it to beach-goers]

We know it's neighbors, because we have two rottweilers loose on the property - it's obviously people that the dogs know.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Now you sound like us. Our property where we live is 15 tareas, and we have literally hundreds oftrees: 6-7 different mango, several different bananas, platano, rulos, limon, nispero, suliman, coconut, cherries, about 6 different avocado varieties, plus yuca, onions, peppers, etc.

Be my neighbor?

[video=youtube;_4nI7AgUKwk]x[/video]

Aug 6, 2006
It is one thing to swipe fruit because you are hungry, and quite another to swipe to sell for cash to tourists.
Mt Rogers would never resort to predial larceny. I doubt if even Oscar the Grouch would do that.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Now you sound like us. Our property where we live is 15 tareas, and we have literally hundreds of trees: 6-7 different mango, several different bananas, platano, rulos, limon, nispero, suliman, coconut, cherries, about 6 different avocado varieties, plus yuca, onions, peppers, etc. Our neighbors have a lot of empty land, most of them would rather sneak onto our property and steal stuff than to plant something.

When our caretaker reprimanded someone when he caught them stealing fruit, they threatened to cut his head off with a machete. [They come with a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with fruit, and go down to the beach and sell it to beach-goers]

We know it's neighbors, because we have two rottweilers loose on the property - it's obviously people that the dogs know.

It's part of the culture here, why pay or work for it when you can get it for free? :ermm:

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I know for some of the kids asking for money is a reflex. When I've been ask for money, I reply "why"... sometimes they can't come up with answer. They just stare with their hands out. I do the Mutombo finger wag and they walk away.

I guess coming from a city were churches feed people everyday but you still have people begging for food makes me jaded.

I do have to say one time I turned the tables on a kid and told him I was hungry, to my surprise he gave me 50 pesos. When I see that kid I give him money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I wonder what part of "Many Years Ago" in my story "JMB" missed??????
Maybe my entire posts are not getting through to Chicago ????
300 pesos would be a bargain these days, but depends on "Where", and how bad their "NEED" is!
He wouldn't know about that, because he NEVER has to pay!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Must be all those "FAUX" timepieces!
AND, "Weekend Car Rentals"!

CC, "Paying For It "YES", but at least I'm "Getting Some"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps.,......To ALL those "DR!ers" who continue to make me the MOST,..."Liked" poster here, "Gracias"!
I just broke through the 10,000 "likes" record level.

To the "Jealous Losers", I can only say:

"Nany Nany Foo Foo.
Wash Your Hair In Poo Poo.
Wash It Out With Pee Pee."

Must be my high level of "Maturity" that so many "like"!
Or maybe it's my "Humility"?????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited: