Not much loyalty to political parties

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
PLD-local-Listin-Diario.png

When the current four-year legislative period, the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) had six senators and 73 deputies. They were the second-strongest party in the National Congress. However, as time has passed, there has been a constant stream of resignations and departures from the party.

Some 25 legislators have resigned from the former ruling party and most have passed to another political party.

The newly created People’s Force (Fuerza del Pueblo or FP), brought to life by three-time former president Leonel Fernandez when he was not chosen as the party’s candidate in the 2020 presidential election, has taken in most of the “turncoats”, and the now ruling Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) has harbored others.

And some have gone the Bernie Sanders route and become “independent” congressmen, something rather unusual in Dominican politics.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
It's probably because I'm a foreigner here, but I can't tell the difference between them. It just appears to me to be I support __________party because my parents support _______party.
Absolutely, sir.
No ideological differences between the major parties, as they're united by a common thread: lo' cualto'.
There might be a handful of principled individuals, but the majority of Dominican politicians enter the fray with one goal in mind: "pa' bu'came lo mío".

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Absolutely, sir.
No ideological differences between the major parties, as they're united by a common thread: lo' cualto'.
There might be a handful of principled individuals, but the majority of Dominican politicians enter the fray with one goal in mind: "pa' bu'came lo mío".
Sad, but it's probably true in many other places besides the DR. I know Haiti is quite similar.

When we had elections for mayor 4 years ago, I accidentally stumbled on an "outing" for some guy named Yeyson (Jason). Loud music and booze on the beach in one giant part. Gratefully, he lost. Now he's running for diputado.