on a road to get a dominican driving license

Aug 21, 2007
My understanding is that those driving while their tourist visa is valid can do so on non-Dominican licences & still be able to claim on insurance. For residents, my understanding is the same as posted by Robert & others here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/57037-international-drivers-permits.html

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service - Support (DR1)

Anyone can buy car insurance, whether companies pay out on a claim is another matter. Maybe the situation has changed to encompass the scenario you describe, Lindsey, but I don't know that for sure. I do know that like everything else here, nothing is 'black & white' & sufficient persistence like beeza for example (well done, beeza!) or having friends who own the insurance company :cheeky: may help greatly.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it - that's why I've always been in favour of people getting their Dominican licences.
Ley 241 is here - there might be a later modified version but I'm afraid I don't have time to look right now
http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf

Good information, Lambada. After reading your referenced sites, it looks like the best choice, even for someone like myself, who is coming and going from the DR every 6 weeks- 3 months, is to follow the residency/DR driver's license route.

Lindsey

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I read the eye test off in English.
The woman just gave me a strange look and passed me.

Don

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Why is it nessesary to have a blood test, to get a drivers license?

It's not really a blood test, it's just to determine your blood group.
They give you a little Cruz Roja card with your blood type to keep with your driving licence so that in the event of you're being injured in an accident the medics won't have to waste time cross-matching your blood to give infusions if necessary.

Besides, it's the only one of the tests for a driving licence that almost everyone passes first time :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
examen teorico

in POP one takes examen teorico in a tiny room. no one else inside. no one telling you what to do. no one speaking any english whatsoever. in order to pass you have to have 70% of answers correct - which is exactly what i scored :eek:
fingerprint taken several times, also a picture. but why do they put your weight on the license beats me, after all it is not exactly as stable characteristic as height, right?
thing that surprised me most was medical. i know that in poland one has to take thorough eye exam and no one with glasses/lenses will get a permanent license.
piece of cake for anyone who speaks spanish but i had trouble understanding more complicated questions. having said that - rules/signs are no different than in poland, really. except for the fact that in poland law is less "optional" than in DR. ;)
my provisional license is valid for a year. it is my understanding, however, that i need to take examen practico sometime in september (no more than 45 days after examen teorico). i think i will settle down for more classes with the instructor because miesposo behaves as if our car was coated in 18 carat gold: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU ALMOST HIT THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". he simply can't relax! :cheeky:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It's not really a blood test, it's just to determine your blood group.
They give you a little Cruz Roja card with your blood type to keep with your driving licence so that in the event of you're being injured in an accident the medics won't have to waste time cross-matching your blood to give infusions if necessary...... :)

The blood type they "gave" me on my DR license does not agree with what the military said my blood type was.

;) I don't remember ever getting a complete transfusion. ;)

Now I need to check my blood type with my doctor's office back in the states to find out which is correct.

Besides, it's the only one of the tests for a driving licence that almost everyone passes first time :)

Looks like I flunked that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Lambada,
Not like you to not read the law ;)

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Art. 30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.[/FONT]
a. Toda persona que est? debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a los establecidos por esta Ley para la concesi?n de licencias de conductor, y que posea y lleve consigo una licencia autorizada y en vigor en dicho pa?s extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su arribo.
I too have heard people 'speak' of it & read the DR1 advice that a license only being valid for duration of tourist visa, but the version of the law you linked is the only one that I've ever seen - and to be honest, without residency and lacking better guidance it is the one I 'bank' on and further, I 'trust' that the 90 day period renews with each entry to the DR. I also know this approach potentially leaves me vulnerable!

If I missed something, I'm sure you'll let me know. :)

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada,
Not like you to not read the law ;)

Oh I read it sure enough. I'm just aware that that was the 1992 law when tourist visas were of 90 days duration & since 1992 I believe the tourist visa has changed twice, first down to 30 days & then down to 15 days.

It probably is a moot point - the issue would be what takes precedence, the Transit Law or the Visa Law. Not being an expert in jurisprudence I'm unable to comment. Did the Transit Law get updated around a year or so back to incorporate breathalyser etc or is that still pending? I guess you could ask the question in the Legal Forum for Dr. Guzman - he is bound to know the latest amended law. Since I drive here on a Dominican licence I probably have less need to know than those who don't :cheeky:.

I just think that for purposes of damage control, of not laying oneself open to, shall we say, the vagaries of AMET, it is so much simpler to get a Dominican licence which is what I would always recommend. However, if you're happy with the risk level you've exposed yourself to by not having residency or a Dominican licence, that is entirely your choice. You're an adult thinking person, you speak Spanish & you can assess the odds. :) Maybe I should amend that to say it isn't entirely your choice if you're breaking the law, but until we know WHAT the law is, no-one can say whether you're breaking it or not. :laugh:

TheHun

May 4, 2008
"I got my license a year or 2 ago in Santiago, the written test was on a digital machine, (my mom was taking it with me too, cuz she decided she wanted a Dominican license without surrendering her US one.)"

Does it mean if I turn my US drivers license in, I can get a DR one without taking any tests? Do I still need a cedula to do this?

Thanks!

TheHun

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one can take exams for a license without taking the course and thus "do not give up" their original license. theory is 1380 pesos, practice 980 pesos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
amazing thing, learning how to drive in DR...
no driving classes when it rains: "because it's difficult to drive in the rain".
no driving at night: see above.
no driving in the city: because there is too much traffic and the school is only licences to drive on the malecon.
i can see why miesposo is not too keen on me driving his car...

looks like i'm half way to my examen practico... :eek:gre:

windeguy, i was pretty sure that you can just take tests without all the "driving"?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what is parallel parking?
i don't give names to stuff i do with cars... ;) the only parking they are teaching me is on the side of the road, along the pavement...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
what is parallel parking?
i don't give names to stuff i do with cars... ;) the only parking they are teaching me is on the side of the road, along the pavement...

Yes that's it, parking parallel to the curb often in between parked cars. Actually in the DR it means stopping on the road parallel to a parked car because you recognise the driver as your friend & you want to have a chat ;).

S

sokitoumi

I would take driving a little more seriously- afterall it is potentially putting peoples lives at risk if you dont learn properly

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The next big step was getting her to change the needle and her gloves for new ones before she touched me. It took me a while to persuade her but it worked eventually. The guy next in line behind me asked her to change the needle again - she laughed, but she did wipe in with some cotton first.

OMG!!
She laughed and then wiped it with some cotton first?
As if that would stop the spread of HIV and other diseases.
All to save a few cents by reusing needles, but no consideration for human life?
Scary.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Transit law...

Ley 241 is here - there might be a later modified version but I'm afraid I don't have time to look right now
http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf

It was an interesting read.

Anyone with a foreign license who has been here 90 days or less is considered 'legal'

What I found most interesting was Chapter 10 of the law. It basically outlaws our carros publicos!!

It says that a vehicle cannot carry more passengers than it is designed for, and that is determined by the manufacturer...

Obviously, no carro publico would ever pass this check.

My country sucks. The laws are fine... it's just the damn application.