OneMax - WiMAX - 1st Test!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Tricom

I am with TriCom and only pay 650 pesos per month. Although - theoretically I have 100mbps - it is often too slow in buffering to watch You Tube or stuff like that -- but would that really be worth paying three times the price? Why are you all with Codotel?

tuxedodan

Sep 22, 2004
with onemax, can i go to a park and be connected? What internet company provides this type of mobile service and not have to be confined to the house?

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
with onemax, can i go to a park and be connected?

Yes you can... If the park is in the coverage area and if you figure out how to power the Onebox modem in the park (It is possible to power it from the car-ighter using an adapter).

The actual Onemax modems for laptops will come out later and need no extra power supply.

rised

Oct 8, 2006
When I have read about Onemax in DR1 news, I immediately searched for their website, hoping for some reasonable prices.

I understand that it broadband (but not for the whole country yet - so can be counted as DSL) - and prices were really a disappointment.

In Moscow (yeah, yeah - in Russia) I can get 6144/768 DSL connection (including 96 TV channels) for $52/month (this is including all taxes).

And for comparison - 1024/512 (Internet only) will be $7.7/moths. Some can argue about high taxes, let us put 30% more = $10/month. C?mon! Let's admit - till Internet prices will be so high - no innovative service can compensate this.

rised

Oct 8, 2006
mountainannie, can you provide a link?

Tricom
(Is it the wrong page?)

768Kbps-512 Kbps
1PC 20 20 4,400

Add 30% taxes... It is 2.5 times higher than Codetel, or am I wrong?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think "mountainannie" means 100kbps not 100mbps :)

Tricom use Codetel infrastructure. The service is not that good and their pricing is expensive.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When I have read about Onemax in DR1 news, I immediately searched for their website, hoping for some reasonable prices.

I understand that it broadband (but not for the whole country yet - so can be counted as DSL) - and prices were really a disappointment.

In Moscow (yeah, yeah - in Russia) I can get 6144/768 DSL connection (including 96 TV channels) for $52/month (this is including all taxes).

And for comparison - 1024/512 (Internet only) will be $7.7/moths. Some can argue about high taxes, let us put 30% more = $10/month. C?mon! Let's admit - till Internet prices will be so high - no innovative service can compensate this.

Welcome to the DR!

Codetel/Verizon has had the monopoly on infrastructure here for years.
Leasing fiber etc off of them costs a fortune, hence you are forced to
charge a fortune as a competitor to cover this overhead.

Hopefully with the introduction of companies like OneMax that are based on being 100% independent of Codetel, we will start to see better pricing and better service.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004

Seeing how much we pay for electricity to run the equipment , these ISP prices fit the picture quite well :ermm:

rised

Oct 8, 2006
Perhaps you right, Robert - thanks for opening eyes, good luck for OneMax (since I'm working completely with Internet - broadband access will totally make me "free as a bird")

PlantaFULL
I'm renting 2 bedrooms apartment in Loc Cacigazcos (120 m2, 2 AC's and Planta Full ;) ) - it costs me only $RD 700/month, so can't agree with you on that (maybe they will add some next month?). It's offtopic anyway (life here is still cheaper than in Moscow, NY, Tokyo - and we have all pros here, right?)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am with TriCom and only pay 650 pesos per month. Although - theoretically I have 100mbps - it is often too slow in buffering to watch You Tube or stuff like that -- but would that really be worth paying three times the price? Why are you all with Codotel?
In my case, it's because I spend a lot of my time on the puter and do not have the patience to watch grass grow, as I open an email loaded with pix, or need to download something from the net, or am uploading pix to an email or to photobucket.
Because I do sometimes want to watch streaming video.
Because I often transfer files through messenger services.
I may be paying double the amount you pay for my 768 kbps line, but it's worth it to me, in fact, a 100 kbps line would probably drive me stark raving mad.

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
If you have a Laptop with Wifi card in it you should be able to access internet depending on the distance, some restaurants/coffee shops have "Hot Spots" and so are many hotels. You should be able to get into it easily.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you have a Laptop with Wifi card in it you should be able to access internet depending on the distance, some restaurants/coffee shops have "Hot Spots" and so are many hotels. You should be able to get into it easily.
Actually no.
There are very few select hot spots around with open access.

jeanarenas

Jul 28, 2005
Wi-Max first in the DR?????

To clarify the current news on Wi-Max as stated by whoever wrote the excerpt for today's news whereupon it is stated that the DR is the first and only country in the Caribbean with such a service provider:

It is not.

Puerto Rico has, for more than a year, had a Wi-Max ISP. The service is called BIVA (Broadband Internet Via Air). There are different plans available and, as with all Wi-Max services, it works great. Just plug in and go...

I do hope that the company in the DR will not flop as services such as Wi-Max suffer from the end user having to locate the antenna in such a way so as to receive the best and most powerful waveform in the Fresnel Zone.

For those users new to the system, try and move the antenna to a window and move it about so that given a couple of tries (with the diferent positions) you'll find the one that makes the service quality go up.

This affects the latency, jitter, packet loss, and throughput.

Wanna know more? Sen me an e-mail... jeanarenas@hotmail.com

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
To clarify the current news on Wi-Max as stated by whoever wrote the excerpt for today's news whereupon it is stated that the DR is the first and only country in the Caribbean with such a service provider:

It is not.

Puerto Rico has, for more than a year, had a Wi-Max ISP.

You need to read the article a few times, it appears to be correct :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you will find that the "Biva" WiMAX service is not "802.16e" and they use the old standard (802.16-2004) and that the "The DR's OneMax is first to use the IEEE 802.16e-2005 standards provided by Alcatel-Lucent".

WiMAX comes in two variates, fixed and mobile and they are incompatible.
I think you will find that the DR is only the 2nd country in the world to roll out "mobile" WiMAX or the newer "802.16e-2005" standard.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
it is stated that the DR is the first and only country in the Caribbean with such a service provider:

It is not.

Puerto Rico has, for more than a year, had a Wi-Max ISP.
FYI, Puerto Rico is not a Caribbean country, but not to worry, there are some people here who think that New York is a country too.

vinopolis

Oct 10, 2007
Sorry, this post isn't about wi-max, however I'd like to share my opinion regarding 3G internet. Since October 10'th Claro/Codetel offers "Banda Ancha M?vil". It has full coverage of SD, and it works for me just perferctly in La Romana. Speed Connected 1.8mbit all the time... actual speed down - 1.2-1.5mbit, up - 0.1mbit. You just need a PCMCIA card, such as Sierra Wireless which you can get at any Claro office. It will cost you around 3k peso + 3k peso to get connected, then you pay around 3k monthly - unlimited plan. I think this is better than wimax at this time, cause it has better coverage. So, I don't understand why it's so much talking about wimax, if they would have at least 10mbit, that would be much interesting, but they offer almost the same service, except this 4mbit plan which is very expansive compare to Europe, where you can get ADSL2+ 15-20mbit for less than $100.

BentonPena

Oct 29, 2007
Yes, I use opendns, but still we have issues, as does everyone else that uses Codetel.

I am told that the planned contention ratio "channel sharing" will be very low for WiMAX service they are rolling out here. Yes, you will see a small decrease in bandwidth when many people are on the same channel, but not significant.

The people (French/Americans/Dominicans) involved in setting up OneMax are serious and have a good track record. My hope is that they remain true to their word and become a real competitor in the market. Just like Orange did when they moved into the cel market here.

Time will tell...

About DNS issues, I tested most of the DNS services, then I decided to install a DNS server in my own XP machine. It works, I have use it for years... TreeWalk DNS Home

BentonPena

Oct 29, 2007
FYI, Puerto Rico is not a Caribbean country, but not to worry, there are some people here who think that New York is a country too.

I understand Puerto Rico is located in the Caribbean, if you mean that PR is part of US so this means PR benefits of US facilities is another thing!