OneMax - WiMAX - 1st Test!

dandrade

Dec 27, 2002
www.enginedevelopment.com
Are you sure Codetel and Tricom offer Wimax? I think you may be confusing 3g/4g technology...

That info I got from Codetel and Tricom. Maybe it is 3g/4g...I had 3g from Codetel last year...but they said it is something new, because 3g could only go 128kbps down / up and now they can surpass 1Mbps down.

Maybe it is the same technology Centennial is offering. It is called EVDO and basically is like a cell phone modem.

(I have achieved 1.5Mbps down using Centennial Interjet, but upload is limited to a 153kbps max)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
128kps upload stinks for someone who has to use the internet for work, not to mention voip. They ought to offer at least 512k up.

track

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think it's a firmware problem.

Problems are:
1) Dominican do to much Peer to Peer, downloadings, music, video, etc.
2) They, OneMax, are overloading most of the the BTS ( Base Station ).
The technology uses the same spectrum to upload and download. Time switching, and sharing the same spectrum with more than 50 heavy users. Plus VoIP kills or brings the network sloooowwwww.

They will probably change the configuration from Base Station to Subscriber, from 5MHz to 10MHz. When?
ZyXel is not a very good CPE.
Those are not my words, but their high level technician in other tech forums.

But, I think it's a better system than Wind Telecom, that never starts, and lie about mostly everything.

brisas

Oct 17, 2007
Be careful with Onemax

I have had Onemax now for 6 months. It is the worst service I have ever had. It managed to make Codetel as a "good service". And that my friends, it's a lot to say.

I pay for 768kbps download. I only get 480 as an average taken along more than 100 measurments in Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I pay for 256kbps upload and i get only 45kbps, average.

I can't use the phone when I am downloading anything above 10 kpbs. It will caus intermittent voice on the phone.

And to add salt to the wound, they don't provide customer support on weekends, neither they seem to care to monitor their network. There is no customer service on weekends.

I can only surmise they do not want to know what's happening to their service.

I will never try their service again.

Be careful with Onemax.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
I live in Isabelita had to have an outside antenna installed at my expense. The tower is in Tres Ojos. Internet works good for me but the land line SUCKS to say the least. Their customer service is typical Dominican. Whic means NO SERVICE or RUDE at best. My friend has it also live in San Isidro he works out of his home tele-marketing nothing but, problems. We have had this service for two months. But, for me it is better than Codetel, Tricom. 6 1/2 dozen or the other I guess.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
As I understood, the main idea of any business in D.R. is to spend as less as possible, but get as mush as possible. And never return anything.
Onemax is not exception, they draw new clients, but don't develop thier network - because it is expenses. And customers can't do nothing with it.
This is D.R.

FM POWER

Sep 12, 2004
www.freddymultiservice.com
VOIP with Onemax Does not work

I?ve install onemax in my house and it?s working fast but the only thing I don?t like it?s that my Grandstream VOIP Phone does not work, they use the VOIP ports to they?re own system I can?t connect to my company PBX with this. so I had to change to Tricom DSL.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
OneMax problems, anyone have any ideas?

Briefly, I had onemax for a few months. It worked so-so the first month, and after that it only worked sporadically. I'm not sure if it is because they lose signal strength because they were selling it to so many people in the same area. The pieces of pizza may have just gotten too small?

Anyway, there customer service has always been wonderfully polite, but never able to do anything to fix the situation.

Enter personal problem: I break my arm badly. It takes over 7 weeks to heal (longer than normal, probably osteoporosis aggravated). I cannot even dress myself. I'm at a friend's house. She is a busy American, so I feel like I'm already imposing, and don't want to try and put on her all of my errands like onemax and a thousand others.

So I leave it till I'm better. At that point, I'm two months behind in my work, so I'm extremely busy. Onemax says they want me to make a trip to their main office to return the equipment and to pay them two months. That's like asking me to go to San Pedro, I live so far.

I tell them it wasn't working anyway, but it doesn't matter to them. Nor will they give me any leeway on the broken arm. I tell them I will bring the equipment in one month on the school break, because it is very difficult for me to leave a class of deaf children with no teacher who can communicate, after two months already without.

They won't take the equipment back without the money. I took it down and they refused it, saying they have closed my account for non-payment and that now I have a balance of 15,000 which has been sent "to legal."

No one admits the authority to change any of this. I am in this country to help deaf children, not to make money. I work on a shoestring budget. Is there anything I can do?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Briefly, I had onemax for a few months. It worked so-so the first month, and after that it only worked sporadically. I'm not sure if it is because they lose signal strength because they were selling it to so many people in the same area. The pieces of pizza may have just gotten too small?

Anyway, there customer service has always been wonderfully polite, but never able to do anything to fix the situation.

Enter personal problem: I break my arm badly. It takes over 7 weeks to heal (longer than normal, probably osteoporosis aggravated). I cannot even dress myself. I'm at a friend's house. She is a busy American, so I feel like I'm already imposing, and don't want to try and put on her all of my errands like onemax and a thousand others.

So I leave it till I'm better. At that point, I'm two months behind in my work, so I'm extremely busy. Onemax says they want me to make a trip to their main office to return the equipment and to pay them two months. That's like asking me to go to San Pedro, I live so far.

I tell them it wasn't working anyway, but it doesn't matter to them. Nor will they give me any leeway on the broken arm. I tell them I will bring the equipment in one month on the school break, because it is very difficult for me to leave a class of deaf children with no teacher who can communicate, after two months already without.

They won't take the equipment back without the money. I took it down and they refused it, saying they have closed my account for non-payment and that now I have a balance of 15,000 which has been sent "to legal."

No one admits the authority to change any of this. I am in this country to help deaf children, not to make money. I work on a shoestring budget. Is there anything I can do?

Most likely nothing you can do, but if you are as broke as you say, there is likely nothing they can do either.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
What about my refrigerator?

My Dominican friends say they can come take my refrigerator if I don't pay! And other stuff. Of course they would have to go through a court proceeding.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
Still trying...

After weeks of calling and getting "Kelly Guerrero, the supervisor will call you back in 30 minutes (15 minutes, one hour, today etc.)"--which of course he never did-- I still was unable to get any resolution.

Today I get an email from a bill collection agency. OneMax, I assume, sold them the bill. Now it's up to 21,000 pesos.

All this for no service.

I'm sure they've scammed a lot more people than just myself. I could pay the 21,000, if I closed the deaf school for the last two months of school, since it would be the teacher's pay it would have to come out of.

Beware of OneMax folks.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Onemax - no way Jose

I "rented" the onemax system while living in Santo Domingo last winter. Lived in San Carlos just outside the Zona Colonial area. We had a fairly good signal at either 2 or 3 out 4 bars but the system speed was just terrible. Unless you waited until the wee hours of the night the signal speed of a neighbors wifi was much faster 90% of the time. I took the box and equipment back to the main office where they fiddled around and tried to bow-beat me into I had this obligation for service. Ended up leaving after they had the equipment in hand and told them I was not going to pay for service that did not operate.

Got a few emails but nothing since I notified them about canceling their service.

good idea, bad product. dont waste your money.