Only 6% of Dominican fathers get involved in raising their children

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I totally agree with that number. From my perspective you could also included at least 94% of the gringos who get the locals pregnant then do a vanishing act.
It would also be interesting to see the number of Dominican women who give birth then have a family member raise their children.
Just based on my experiences very few people accept responsibility for bringing up their own children here.

Jan 9, 2004
It definitely is not. I think Unicef didn't get or tell the whole story. Something is missing in my opinion. It seems as if they did the study in the barrios because most of the people I know from the barrio fit the study.

The study was likely done and then distributed to NGO's, corporations, governments.....looking for resources funding. That is generally how it works. Find a problem, real or otherwise, and then do a study and reach out to acquire funding to "solve" the problem based on that study.

Sounds perhaps a bit cynical, but that is generally how these things work.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The study was likely done and then distributed to NGO's, corporations, governments.....looking for resources funding. That is generally how it works. Find a problem, real or otherwise, and then do a study and reach out to acquire funding to "solve" the problem based on that study.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

i can understand doing a study on something like the availability, or non availability, of drinking water, then seeking funds to fix the problem..

how exactly would funds solve the family composition in the country?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The headline is misleading because more than 6 percent of Dominican fathers are involved in raising their children. Perhaps that number is accurate for reading but for playing, singing....etc I think this number is much higher. Of course I am only basing this on interactions I have observed. Certainly most of the chilsrwn at the school have fathers that are a big part of their lives including quite a few that are single fathers. One commited parent is more important than two parents that dont give a **** about their children.

bob is somewhat correct in here.
there was original article about it in el caribe few days ago:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/06/20/solo-6-padres-involucra-crianza-sus-hijos

Lamentablemente, sólo el 6.4% de los niños y niñas de 3 y 4 años del país ha interactuado con su padre biológico en actividades como leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar, que promueven un buen desarrollo de la infancia, según datos de la encuesta Enhogar- MICS del año 2014.

these are not really activities fathers participate in much, even outside of DR, especially nowadays when the father is main working force maintaining the house. most of dominican fathers i know (of those who actually care about their offspring) have time, at best, to take kids to school and they will not be back from work until very late in the day. in all honesty, dominican mothers are not much better. reading or walking together with kids has been replaced by putting on another episode of peppa the pig. people do not put much effort into interactions with their kids. and i'm not surprised. anyone who had to repeat the same short rhyme 50 times over knows that playing with kids drive adult mind completely nuts. it's either repetitive to the point of bringing on suicidal thoughts or you can never kiddo to pay attention for longer that 10 seconds. i know i enjoy playing my nieces' toys more than they do, they are still too young and too dumb to fully appreciate things without destroying them in the process.

anyways, i fully believe that fathers here participate very little in daily activities of their children. that does not take away the fact that most of those who are in stable relationship with kids' mothers and who live with their kids do not love them or do not care. but singing "burrito sabanero" is usually not on the menu.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree. I have seen those games played before when it comes to grant writing.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have many fathers of students at the school that are very involved in their children's education, and we have approximately 400 children between 3 and 5 years old. Many of these guys help their children with homework, reading,....etc. When we have a show put on by the children, or reading competition...etc it is standing room only and a good percentage are fathers. We have a number of single fathers that have custody of their children as well. When there is a child with a problem, often it is the father than is willing to come in and spend the time working out the issues and the solutions. Sure there are lots of deadbeat dads....etc, just like everywhere but there is a good percentage that care about their children and are a big part of their lives in every way.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We have many fathers of students at the school that are very involved in their children's education, and we have approximately 400 children between 3 and 5 years old. Many of these guys help their children with homework, reading,....etc. When we have a show put on by the children, or reading competition...etc it is standing room only and a good percentage are fathers. We have a number of single fathers that have custody of their children as well. When there is a child with a problem, often it is the father than is willing to come in and spend the time working out the issues and the solutions. Sure there are lots of deadbeat dads....etc, just like everywhere but there is a good percentage that care about their children and are a big part of their lives in every way.

so i guess that your anecdotal situation debunks the findings of the UNCF, then. i mean, the country has 10 million people. approximately 2 million will be school children. you can speak for 500 of that 2 million. i guess you know that by statistical sampling, that number is what is considered to be too insignificant to be considered..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Exactly.

UNICEF pimping for mo' mo' money...

Gotta keep that bureaucracy in kimchi...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
so i guess that your anecdotal situation debunks the findings of the UNCF, then. i mean, the country has 10 million people. approximately 2 million will be school children. you can speak for 500 of that 2 million. i guess you know that by statistical sampling, that number is what is considered to be too insignificant to be considered..

Stick to Empanadas.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Maybe I should organize a group trip for those ex-pats that wish to come down from their castles up on Pico Duarte or their hovels in Puerto Plata to see another side of the Dominican Republic. Pack your own lunch because you wouldn't want to eat Dominican food. Pack your own water because you wouldn't want to buy one in one of their colmados. Put your ear buds in because you wouldn't want to hear their awful music by third rate musicians. Neat orderly groups of twos, and no photos or videos please. We wouldn't want the rest of the world to think that the Dominican Republic is more than AI's, tourist areas, and mud hut poverty.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Maybe I should organize a group trip for those ex-pats that wish to come down from their castles up on Pico Duarte or their hovels in Puerto Plata to see another side of the Dominican Republic. Pack your own lunch because you wouldn't want to eat Dominican food. Pack your own water because you wouldn't want to buy one in one of their colmados. Put your ear buds in because you wouldn't want to hear their awful music by third rate musicians. Neat orderly groups of twos, and no photos or videos please. We wouldn't want the rest of the world to think that the Dominican Republic is more than AI's, tourist areas, and mud hut poverty.

Count me in!

I borrowed a pair of rubber boots from a Dominican friend that works for the water department, a painter friend gave me a face filter mask and I swiped a pair of latex gloves from the doctor´s office.

I´m all set for the adventure.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

6%? Really?
I wonder who taught these guys Dominican math?
I watched those NGO's (conman, scam artist and hustlers)
run the same type of scams while living in south east asia.
Complete bullsh*t. You can bet at some point in the near
future this same group or close affilate will be using these
"statistics" to help source their "funding" (pay for their jeepetas,
western style apartments and expensive meals)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ironically, a few minutes ago someone shared with me this comedy on Facebook.

It's about what happens with a significant number of Hispanic children and teenagers when they disobey their parents. lol

[video=youtube;po8RnAgMM2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po8RnAgMM2k[/video]

The comedian is of Dominican/Puerto Rican origin.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
bob is somewhat correct in here.
there was original article about it in el caribe few days ago:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/06/20/solo-6-padres-involucra-crianza-sus-hijos

Lamentablemente, sólo el 6.4% de los niños y niñas de 3 y 4 años del país ha interactuado con su padre biológico en actividades como leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar, que promueven un buen desarrollo de la infancia, según datos de la encuesta Enhogar- MICS del año 2014.

these are not really activities fathers participate in much, even outside of DR, especially nowadays when the father is main working force maintaining the house. most of dominican fathers i know (of those who actually care about their offspring) have time, at best, to take kids to school and they will not be back from work until very late in the day. in all honesty, dominican mothers are not much better. reading or walking together with kids has been replaced by putting on another episode of peppa the pig. people do not put much effort into interactions with their kids. and i'm not surprised. anyone who had to repeat the same short rhyme 50 times over knows that playing with kids drive adult mind completely nuts. it's either repetitive to the point of bringing on suicidal thoughts or you can never kiddo to pay attention for longer that 10 seconds. i know i enjoy playing my nieces' toys more than they do, they are still too young and too dumb to fully appreciate things without destroying them in the process.

anyways, i fully believe that fathers here participate very little in daily activities of their children. that does not take away the fact that most of those who are in stable relationship with kids' mothers and who live with their kids do not love them or do not care. but singing "burrito sabanero" is usually not on the menu.

The number in the study is 31% for mothers. In answer to the same question.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
how many fathers in North America read or sing nightly with their kids?

Stick to Empanadas.

In the DR family and extended family is a big thing. I would suggest that families spend
more time together in the DR than households in North AMerica where two people are working and very tired.

At school parent meetings mostly woman are there , however I am not sure that is so different than it was in North AMerica in the 50s and 60s

I smell a bullsh** report to get money