Only 6% of Dominican fathers get involved in raising their children

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Ok, so its ten percent. Its common knowledge that women raise the children and hold the family together here. One of the sad realities of a lack of education, high unemployment and machismo culture. Dominican men for the most part are "players", proudly see themselves as "tigres". Certainly not true for all and a generalization but its sadly true for most.

Who does raise the Dominican to be a tiguere? It's the mother because most Dominican women love tigueres.
Remember when I was congratulated for Father's Day and they said "Feliz Dia del Perro". I asked them why they called it dog's day and the answer was that men are dogs. So I answered off course some men are dogs and the only reason they are dogs is because they were raised by bitches. ;)

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I don't know if UNICEF should be accepted as an authority on such matters, but this seems important anyway based on everything else we know about the importance of a father in a child's life. The 6% statistic seems awful.

Only 6% of Dominican fathers get involved in raising their children

Santo Domingo.- Good nutrition, protection, stimulation and affection by the father and the mother are crucial for the learning and the mental and physical health of the children during their first 1,000 days of life, said UN Children’s Fund (Unicef) local representative Rosa Elcarte.

The involvement of parents, especially the father, in activities as simple as feeding and playing with children, lay the foundations for the development of healthy self-esteem, a better acquisition of social skills and greater capacity to adapt and be more productive, as research shows in the field of neuroscience, said the Unicef official.

Unfortunately, only 6.4% of the country’s 3 and 4-year-old children have interacted with their biological father in activities such as reading, storytelling, singing, walking, playing or drawing, which promote a good development of childhood, according to Data from the Survey on MICS of the year 2014.

The Unicef representative reiterated the need for the father’s involvement in the raising of children during early childhood.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...thers-get-involved-in-raising-their-children/

These statistics sound accurate. What does UNICEF have to gain by fudging the numbers? Nothing. They have more resources at their disposal than any of the "experts" here on DR1 so I trust their stats over anyone else here. It explains the poverty and low achievement in the DR and is why I would never, ever want my daughter marrying a Dominican man unless he is in college, has some type of job or business, and can prove he is worth something.

I won't even associate with a man that won't raise his kids. Last I heard my brother has a daughter and I think he isn't raising her and I told him if you won't be a man and take care of your responsibility then never ever talk to me again. I want nothing to do with such scum.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Who does raise the Dominican to be a tiguere? It's the mother because most Dominican women love tigueres.
Remember when I was congratulated for Father's Day and they said "Feliz Dia del Perro". I asked them why they called it dog's day and the answer was that men are dogs. So I answered off course some men are dogs and the only reason they are dogs is because they were raised by bitches. ;)

Yep, totally agree Frank. Boys that are raised by single mothers often become criminals while girls grow up to become whores. Do you think all these Dominican women selling their bodies to tourists come from two parent households? LOL! I bet most of the whores in the DR never met their fathers. The only reason the DR isn't a violent, gang infested ghetto like Chicago or other slums in the USA is because Dominican police can and will use deadly force with few limits. Whereas American cops are content to "contain" ghettos, keeping the violence locked into a certain area and preventing it from spreading, here in the DR the police will usually kill the thugs on the spot, which I actually think is a good idea.

DR is a tourist based country and can't afford to have the kind of crap that goes on in Chicago, Detroit, Flint, Baltimore etc. So if the thugs of a single mother here robs and kills a tourist then cops will usually put him down on the spot. Sends a message to the rest of them. Street gangs (usually fatherless boys) like Crips, Bloods, MS-13, etc have little chance of emerging in the DR because the National Police and Military will obliterate them.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What I discovered after starting this thread is that the conclusion by the woman quoted in the article is not supported by the survey.  You have to actually read the results to know the question(s) that were asked.  I posted a link to the survey results.

She concludes that "Unfortunately, only 6.4% of the country’s 3 and 4-year-old children have interacted with their biological father in activities such as reading, storytelling, singing, walking, playing or drawing, which promote a good development of childhood, according to Data from the Survey on MICS of the year 2014."

Either intentionally, or unintentionally, she left out the actual question in the survey asks "within the last three days."  Maybe the father they asked did all of those valuable things four days ago.  The question was not whether he had done these things ever.  There is nothing magic about three days for the health or learning of the child.  The headline is even more misleading.

I said this same thing more or less in #5 soon after the original post.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Actually, "Feliz Día del Perro/Burro" is not an insult. It's a joke! I've heard men use this expression to complain on the contrast between Father's Day and Mother's Day celebrations. While an excessive amount of resources and efforts are spent to celebrate Mother's Day, Father's day is not on the same level, so, they could as well call it "Día del burro".
I must say that this year, COMMERCIALLY, I found it to be a lot more active than previous years.