Opinions, please.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Apparently sticking with name brands (even if made in China) you will be OK
But if it is not manufactured under a Western brand avoid the Chinese brands.

I never had Kuhmo tires - Are those sold in DR. Anyone have an opinion on those ?

Getting back to the OP post - You have a heavy (and valuable) Prada - Maybe look for F-load range tires from a major manufacturer. F is equivalent to a 12-ply rating
They're Grrrrrrrrreat! LOL

Jan 9, 2004
I'll be honest with you, I'm limiting myself to Hylsa or Pricesmart, so it's going to depend on what they have in stock.

Pricesmart only has the Bridgestone Dueler (Which I'm leaning towards)

The size I'm looking for is slightly harder to find: 265/65R18
Bridgestone makes a decent truck tire. Note that Bridgestone, as a brand, is known for giving a softer ride. The Bridgestone Dueler LTH is a good choice.

Moving up the ladder a bit, I have/like the Michelin Defender LTX. I originally had Hankook..............but they gave too rough a ride for a luxury SUV........

Good luck.............and check the manufacture date code (last two digits)...........although I believe you will have less concerns with Pricesmart.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Bridgestone makes a decent truck tire. Note that Bridgestone, as a brand, is known for giving a softer ride. The Bridgestone Dueler LTH is a good choice.

Moving up the ladder a bit, I have/like the Michelin Defender LTX. I originally had Hankook..............but they gave too rough a ride for a luxury SUV........

Good luck.............and check the manufacture date code (last two digits)...........although I believe you will have less concerns with Pricesmart.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Thanks. That's the reason I'm buying new. The ones I have now are 2011 Dunlops.

Jan 9, 2004
Yokohama Geolander. 'nuff said.
Another outstanding tire recommendation for a crossover SUV.

However, the Prado is built on a truck platform and as such a an all season truck tire might better fit the bill.

Unfortunately, JD Jones is at the mercy of what is available locally..........be it truck or crossover.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there

However, the Prado is built on a truck platform and as such a an all season truck tire might better fit the bill.

Unfortunately, JD Jones is at the mercy of what is available locally..........be it truck or crossover.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
JDJ can correct this if I'm mistaken but I think it's a case of he has chosen to be constrained by what's available locally, not at the mercy of...

There's more than enough infor, links and recommendations in this thread, for me, to make a decision. It should b pretty easy for JDJ too since Bridgestone Dueler LTH's are available locally.

My question to JD Jones is: Why not have the best option shipped in instead of choosing to settle for what you can get on the island?

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
JDJ can correct this if I'm mistaken but I think it's a case of he has chosen to be constrained by what's available locally, not at the mercy of...

There's more than enough infor, links and recommendations in this thread, for me, to make a decision. It should b pretty easy for JDJ too since Bridgestone Dueler LTH's are available locally.

My question to JD Jones is: Why not have the best option shipped in instead of choosing to settle for what you can get on the island?
JD if you decide to ship in, you can ship them to us and we’ll get them shipped to you. If you find tires you like at Sam’s Club, we can get them for you too.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Correct. My Prado is a truck platform, but it is the same platform as a Lexus GX470. It's a very comfortable and smooth riding vehicle indeed but is still a very capable off road vehicle.

Mine is a non turbo 4 cylinder 5 speed standard and even I am amazed at how capable it is, and how they hold their value.

I baby the daylights out of it, and the motor still looks like the day it rolled out of the factory. With 240K km on the clock it still runs and drives like new, doesn't consume oil at all, and gets 40+ km per gallon.

This isn't mine, but it's identical. Only difference is I have 18" wheels.

Prado.jpg

Reactions: Lucifer

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD if you decide to ship in, you can ship them to us and we’ll get them shipped to you. If you find tires you like at Sam’s Club, we can get them for you too.
Thanks AE, I'm going on a trip next week, so I think I'm gonna run over to Pricesmart this week and throw on a set.

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks AE, I'm going on a trip next week, so I think I'm gonna run over to Pricesmart this week and throw on a set.
Who knew buying tires could get so complicated.............it is.

Next up will be the discussion on the right brand of oil and viscosity for the DR.....................

Good luck with your purchase.....................

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: drstock

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'm planning on going to PriceSmart this Tuesday. If I see you, I'll buy you a slice of pizza at the food court.
Cool. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to the one next to the Embassy but may have to go to Charles Sumner to get the #5 spare.

I'm big, tall, long silver hair and driving a two door Prado. Lunchtime ish?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD... better buy a set for the 10 yr tires on the other car ....

Another thread perhaps !!???
You're right, but they still look like brand new and I hardly drive it more than a few miles at a pop so I may have to let those slide for now.