Other internet choices

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go to verizon.net.do and the pricing is explained.

Stick with Verizon, the alternatives are worse.
Change your email as Verizon is crap.

Problem solved!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm reading here their plans...

Hogar 500 + Flash 256 Kbps = RD$1,345 mensuales
Hogar 1000 + Flash 256 Kbps = RD$1,535 mensuales
Hogar 2000 + Flash 256 Kbps = RD$1,715 mensuales

this is their promotion through 15 september.

I am thinking I will talk with them and try to get them to lower my price.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A little bit off topic, but has anyone used the wireless internet plan (flash movil 3g) from Verizon? If so, is it reliable? How about connection speed? When I'm in The DR I need to have access to a connection almost everywhere I'm at (not necessarily be connected 100%, just be able to connect any time I need to). This has proven difficult. They have the prepaid cards which are a relatively cheap way to connect, but you have to have access to a telephone line that's not setup in one of their control plans.

Any info will be appreciated.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Robert said:
Go to verizon.net.do and the pricing is explained.

Stick with Verizon, the alternatives are worse.
Change your email as Verizon is crap.

Problem solved!

Robert - only HALF of the problem is the Email and that half is pretty easy to fix .... Darlene mentioned CONNECTIVITY problems which I still don't fully understand, as I've been saying, I only get disconnected when the power goes out to luch or if I unplug the cable from my laptop.

Stay well,
Amy

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
suarezn said:
A little bit off topic, but has anyone used the wireless internet plan (flash movil 3g) from Verizon? If so, is it reliable? How about connection speed? When I'm in The DR I need to have access to a connection almost everywhere I'm at (not necessarily be connected 100%, just be able to connect any time I need to). This has proven difficult. They have the prepaid cards which are a relatively cheap way to connect, but you have to have access to a telephone line that's not setup in one of their control plans.

I tested it (and the Orange GPRS option) for our company a couple months ago. I used the laptop->cable>cell phone option. It works... but it sucks. I didn't keep records of the connection speed, but it was passable when it worked. I'd use it as a last resort. (It was much better than Orange, though.)

What I remember about it: Functional when you have at least one bar of reception. Not terribly fast, but faster than dial up. Lots of disconnects. Worked in every city I was in. (LRM, POP, Cabarete, SDQ, STI). Overall, it was a resounding "NO" for us to use.

I had better luck driving around and jumping on unsecured wireless nets in SDQ.

------------

Speaking of wired/wireless nets.... I split the Verizon DSL bill with my neighbors as we all share one connection. I pay 50%, he pays 50% and as soon as someone else moves in to the vacant apt near me, we'll all be at 33%. Just a thought.

tim

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Snuffy said:
I'm reading here their plans...

Hogar 500 + Flash 256 Kbps = RD$1,345 mensuales
Hogar 1000 + Flash 256 Kbps = RD$1,535 mensuales
Hogar 2000 + Flash 256 Kbps = RD$1,715 mensuales

this is their promotion through 15 september.

I am thinking I will talk with them and try to get them to lower my price.

I am going to call them right now.

Scandall

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Scandall said:
I am going to call them right now.

Scandall

I called them here in POP last week, when a friend of mine got the Hogar 500.
And I have VIP Flash Plus.
But the new offer is only valid for new customers.. :cross-eye

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
carina said:
I called them here in POP last week, when a friend of mine got the Hogar 500.
And I have VIP Flash Plus.
But the new offer is only valid for new customers.. :cross-eye

That's the same answer I just got. You also have to commit to a two year contract. My original 2 year agreement was up many moons ago and I kinda like being able to ditch them whenever I want.

Man. There is NOOOOO customer service in this country. None. They always act like they are doing you a huge favor by taking your money for mediocre and often overpriced products.

At least the beer is always cold :)

Scandall
Professor of Leisure Studies

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Scandall said:
That's the same answer I just got. You also have to commit to a two year contract. My original 2 year agreement was up many moons ago and I kinda like being able to ditch them whenever I want.

Man. There is NOOOOO customer service in this country. None. They always act like they are doing you a huge favor by taking your money for mediocre and often overpriced products.

At least the beer is always cold :)

Scandall
Professor of Leisure Studies

You are so correct professor. :cross-eye ;)
I called Nelson ( my Verizon buddy ). He suggested that I book a completely new phoneline with the cheaper Hogar 500, and when that is installed that I should cancel the expensive one.
But it seems too complicated, change phone number etc...
But still the difference is about 18000 pesos a year ;)
Will think of this a little.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
carina said:
You are so correct professor. :cross-eye ;)
I called Nelson ( my Verizon buddy ). He suggested that I book a completely new phoneline with the cheaper Hogar 500, and when that is installed that I should cancel the expensive one.
But it seems too complicated, change phone number etc...
But still the difference is about 18000 pesos a year ;)
Will think of this a little.

Another two year commitment with those weenies?
The fact that they will probably come and uninstall it just to install it?
Waiting? Waiting? Waiting?
Change phone numbers?
The inevitable screw-ups?

Forget it.

Scandall

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Scandall said:
Another two year commitment with those weenies?
The fact that they will probably come and uninstall it just to install it?
Waiting? Waiting? Waiting?
Change phone numbers?
The inevitable screw-ups?

Forget it.

Scandall

Hehe.
That?s why he said order the new one before cancelling the old one.

And the reality is probably that while we would sign up for another 2 year slave contract, another offer will come up with FREE service or half price..
All seems too complicated, might be better just to keep the VIP Plus and deny there even is a cheaper one.. ;)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Verizon is hosting some nasty spammers in Samana (dsl), and since they changed almost all the email-addresses from codetel.net.do to verizon.net.do, except the abuse@codetel.net.do, they are blocked from time to time, by the numrerous anti-spam traps.

As well, the ingnorance and stupidness they show, when you present them those facts............, better find your email address outside their network.

As i wrote before, Centennial (3G) has still some virus problems on their gateways and mailservers, ignorance there as well, avoid them too for emailaddresses, because they go in en out the blockinglists as well.
And don't let them install anything in their service centers, because they will disable your anti-virus protection to install their infected software !!!

I don't have fresh info about Orange and Tricom (only some very old Tricom cases).

And than there is satellitite, with his own problems and goodies.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Hold The Phones...

This special says the contract is for a minimal of one year.

"Periodo minimo de contratacion de Flash 1 ano"

so you should be able to cancel the current one and resign up for this one and you are only obligated for one year. Scandall...to save 12000 a year is worth that. You are going to use them for another year anyway. Also...the deal is that "Upgrade gratis a Flash 384Kps"

I will be with them for one year on Sept 17th. I miss the special which is only through 15th. But when the next one comes along I will cancel my plan, pay the 2500 cancellation fee, and get the new plan. I will not see a savings for three months because of the cancellation and install fees...but still it is worth it.

Of course they are going to try to say anything they can to stop you from making the change. I think this is a case where you may have to talk to the manager in person.

Alex101

Jun 6, 2005
Satellite

DunHill said:
And than there is satellitite, with his own problems and goodies.

Could you be a little more specific about the benefits and cons of the satellite connection? I s it possible to connect with the same dish you have for your TV?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Snuffy, could you please post a link to the 'Hogar + Flash plans' promotion? I can't find it at www.verizion.com.do nor on www.verizon.net.do. The only thing I found was the 'Planes Hogar' without Flash under 'Productos y Servicios.

TIA
NotLurking

Snuffy said:
Hold The Phones...

This special says the contract is for a minimal of one year.

"Periodo minimo de contratacion de Flash 1 ano"

so you should be able to cancel the current one and resign up for this one and you are only obligated for one year. Scandall...to save 12000 a year is worth that. You are going to use them for another year anyway. Also...the deal is that "Upgrade gratis a Flash 384Kps"

I will be with them for one year on Sept 17th. I miss the special which is only through 15th. But when the next one comes along I will cancel my plan, pay the 2500 cancellation fee, and get the new plan. I will not see a savings for three months because of the cancellation and install fees...but still it is worth it.

Of course they are going to try to say anything they can to stop you from making the change. I think this is a case where you may have to talk to the manager in person.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
suarezn said:

I have been using it for several months.
I connect using a Kyocera KX414, which I only use for connecting to the Internet, so I signed for the cheaper plan, but for unlimited Internet usage.
Notice that you have to sign up for two years.

The only thing difficult was getting the USB wire to connect the phone to my computer in POP. Finally I had to travel to Santiago to get it.

The performance depends on from where you are connecting.
In POP "malecon" it was worse than dialup, but on a hill near a Verizon antenna is not so bad, may be a bit better than dialup.

Until now it always worked, but sometimes I have to desactivate the compression software that comes with Flash 3G and that theoretically speeds up it, because it just stops working.
It doesn't include email. but I use my own domain to receive and send email and it is not suitable for downloading large files, reading busy newssgroups or streaming music or video.

Ben

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Alex101 said:
Could you be a little more specific about the benefits and cons of the satellite connection? I s it possible to connect with the same dish you have for your TV?
Disnetworks and/or DirecTV dont work well on the same dish, IPTV is the solution, that is TV over Internet.
For a channellist please send a PM

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
NotLurking said:
Snuffy, could you please post a link to the 'Hogar + Flash plans' promotion? I can't find it at www.verizion.com.do nor on www.verizon.net.do. The only thing I found was the 'Planes Hogar' without Flash under 'Productos y Servicios.

TIA
NotLurking

No...I am not looking at it on the internet. If you go by their office you should find a red brochure with their new plans. I believe I also saw them at the supermarket.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Snuffy said:
No...I am not looking at it on the internet. If you go by their office you should find a red brochure with their new plans. I believe I also saw them at the supermarket.

Ahhh, thank you! I'll see if I pick up a brochure tomorrow. I like this cheaper plan.

NotLurking

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
That 2 year commitment just means you have to pay 5,000 pesos if you decide to cancel, in the old days that meant you could keep the cool Cisco router they gave you when they installed the service, (I hacked the password on mine to turn it into an actual router instead of just a modem, so I could hook up my whole home network to the internet without a proxy) now the router is really just a crappy DSL modem, and worth about 20 bucks tops, but still 5,000 pesos isn't quite an arm and a leg if you want out of Verizon.