Other internet choices

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Alex101 said:
Could you be a little more specific about the benefits and cons of the satellite connection? I s it possible to connect with the same dish you have for your TV?

Start a new thread.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
MrMike said:
(I hacked the password on mine to turn it into an actual router instead of just a modem, so I could hook up my whole home network to the internet without a proxy)

Yup - that's just what happened at my house. We have a techie friend that came over to run my line from the wall jack to where my desk is ..... next thing I know all the computers in the house are connected!!

Dominican engineering ;)

Stay well,
Amy

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
amy2761 said:
Yup - that's just what happened at my house. We have a techie friend that came over to run my line from the wall jack to where my desk is ..... next thing I know all the computers in the house are connected!!

Dominican engineering ;)

Stay well,
Amy

I hope he did not charge you very much as this is a very simple solution. The DSL router has one public IP of course and the rest are private addresses you can use however you want. The router performs a NAT or network address translation thus a small network of PCs can connect to the internet, pretty simple really.

Regards.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As the OP of this thread I thought I should jump back in.

First thanks to everyone for your help with all this. I have set up a Gmail account and will start using that to bypass my email issues.

I have looked at other internet providers and really there is no other option.

Techie question: what is a DNS server? Robert referred to that in his post regarding outgoing mail, but I am not sure what that is. Help.....

NOw next issue: I have set up my email using Microsoft outlook. Because I have Verizon I have huge problems receiving and sending emails. For example: I have websites and emails attached to them. I cannot send out using emails from those accounts. It keeps giving me the error message that teh server connection has been interrupted. I have no idea what that is or why that is. I can send using my verizon account but not my other ones.

Again thanks for the help.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
planner said:
Techie question: what is a DNS server? Robert referred to that in his post regarding outgoing mail, but I am not sure what that is. Help.....
Dynamic Name Server
A system that makes from th nice fancy names you type an for internetsystems understandable number like 69.19.12.218 if you typed dunhill.2y.net

planner said:
NOw next issue: I have set up my email using Microsoft outlook. I have no idea what that is or why that is. I can send using my verizon account but not my other ones.

Looks like an error in the SMTP settings
I think they call it something like outgoing mailserver in outlook.

SMTP settings include a mailserver that is allowed to receive and re-send your email to its final destination
There are several different ways they secure/authorise those servers
A) you must be inside the original network
B) username and password
C) you only can send mail after you request your mail at such a system (first POP than SMTP)
D) access on your personal settings/IP address

Have fun

Arjan

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
planner said:
As the OP of this thread I thought I should jump back in.

First thanks to everyone for your help with all this. I have set up a Gmail account and will start using that to bypass my email issues.

I have looked at other internet providers and really there is no other option.

NOw next issue: I have set up my email using Microsoft outlook. Because I have Verizon I have huge problems receiving and sending emails. For example: I have websites and emails attached to them. I cannot send out using emails from those accounts. It keeps giving me the error message that teh server connection has been interrupted. I have no idea what that is or why that is. I can send using my verizon account but not my other ones.

Again thanks for the help.

Hi,

I just set up my mail in the exact same way Dunhill is talking about. Couldn't have done it without coaching from Chris .... shoot her a PM and see if you can set up a time for a phone call - maybe she can help you out.

Stay well,
Amy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HI to you both and thanks for the info. I've done all that set up with help from more then one person including Carina here. the problem is today it works, tomorrow it doesn't.... makes me nuts.

So, Iwill go to the Gmail set up and bypass this totally if I can.

Can I access my other email addresses from there? Example: can I access my verizon account by forwarding it to my gmail???

As another example, for the last 2 hours I have received no notifications from DR1. NOt the fault of DR1 I assure you but of my Verizon account..... While my DR1 notifications do not go to the Verizon account, somehow it gets blocked here and then I dont' ever receive them... ahhhhhhh.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
planner said:
HI to you both and thanks for the info. I've done all that set up with help from more then one person including Carina here. the problem is today it works, tomorrow it doesn't.... makes me nuts.

So, Iwill go to the Gmail set up and bypass this totally if I can.

Can I access my other email addresses from there? Example: can I access my verizon account by forwarding it to my gmail???

As another example, for the last 2 hours I have received no notifications from DR1. NOt the fault of DR1 I assure you but of my Verizon account..... While my DR1 notifications do not go to the Verizon account, somehow it gets blocked here and then I dont' ever receive them... ahhhhhhh.

I have no idea Darlene, like I said, I needed help setting up my Microsoft Office Email .... hope somebody comes to your rescue and quick!!

Stay well,
Amy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I"m sure they will Amy, but it doesn't have to be quick. I've lived with it this long already!!! LOL what else you going to do but laugh here...

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Mail send from the codetel/verizon domains are under inverstigations by the several blacklists/spamtraps, that CAN result that codetel/verizon will be blocked by spamlists like spews/spamcop etc.

And since the ingnorance is high and with the normal verizon/codetel arrogancy, they are NOT responding correctly to all submitted proof.

the spammers (i know) are using the Samana DSL connections
83samana90.codetel.net.do [200.88.90.83] and
247samana90.codetel.net.do [200.88.90.247]

Some providers already blocked all the .net.do and .com.do emails

Be prepaired .....