Our lovely rottie is dead

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE,
i just started reading.... I'm so sorry.

RD is a hard place for animals.
As you know, I've lost my share of pets - 2 dogs, 2 cats.

So sorry

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's what Acira sent me as consolation .....
Brings on more tears..........

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together..

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So sorry AE and Mr AE. I know what it is like to have animals poisoned. The chances are that if it happened so quickly it was what the Dominicans call lanata which is the venom from the megalopyge lanata caterpillar. It was used by the Tainos to put on the tips of their arrows. The poison makes the animal (or human I suppose) stop breathing almost instantly and death is within minutes. The only saving grace for this type of poison is the animal does not suffer as with other types of poison. Most Dominicans in the campo know where to get this from.

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
AE, I am not what you would call an animal lover but WOW this is so, so sad. Lost for words.............

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
When a friend dies it is always sad but when a friend is killed it is devastating in more than one way.

May you friend RIP. :(

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thank you all for your kind words, it's been a bad week for us. A funeral Monday for the mother of a dear friend [mom was only 72, not old these days, but painful death from cancer], then the shocking death and funeral yesterday of a 36 yr old who was our son's best friend from about age 7 on, and now this today.

Mr. AE called our vet, who doesn't think those toads are in our area, he's never heard of a dog dying there from them. He says it sounds like poison, but will talk to caretaker and see the dog.

Caretaker, however, said there have been lots of toads in the rear of the property - but are all of them poisonous, or just some specific types????

We'd certainly feel better, if there is such a thing with something like this, if it was an accident/toad, than if someone deliberately killed our Tyson.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
So very sorry for your loss AE. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet and to be away and not know what happened is even harder. Hoping that everything will be okay at your property and the female will be okay. You gave Tyson a great life and lots of love so he was a lucky dog.

Aug 21, 2007
Horrible for someone to do something like this. I hope we learn that it was not poisoning. Over the years, my heart has broken, too, over beloved pets who died. I understand how you are feeling. I know that is not much consolation, but it is all I can offer. I am truly sorry.

Lindsey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Imo, finding out if it was a Toad ( especially after what your caretaker says) or if it was 100% Poison, would be Money well spent...no matter how much it costs.
. Call me a stupid gringo who throws $ at a problem, but I would want to KNOW for sure...
Because as you said, one is just a bad luck tragedy, it happens.. such is nature and we have to live with it
but ... the other is a completely different scenario...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you all for your kind words, it's been a bad week for us. A funeral Monday for the mother of a dear friend [mom was only 72, not old these days, but painful death from cancer], then the shocking death and funeral yesterday of a 36 yr old who was our son's best friend from about age 7 on, and now this today.

Mr. AE called our vet, who doesn't think those toads are in our area, he's never heard of a dog dying there from them. He says it sounds like poison, but will talk to caretaker and see the dog.

Caretaker, however, said there have been lots of toads in the rear of the property - but are all of them poisonous, or just some specific types????

We'd certainly feel better, if there is such a thing with something like this, if it was an accident/toad, than if someone deliberately killed our Tyson.

Definitely not all toads are poisonous but some are deadly and, as far as I know, the reaction is quite fast

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
This is so sad, Im so sorry, I cannot imagine losing my dogs to poisining in the DR.
The North Coast just had a devastating poisining incident also. Just brings tears, its so
senseless and heartless.
Ihope it was not of human hands

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
So sorry for your loss AE. I believe in you reap what you sow. Hopefully a long, slow burn in hell for the perpetrator(s).