Our lovely rottie is dead

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Out of 'maldad'

I discussed this with my wife this morning.
She says, 100% poisoned. For Dominicans there are many reasons to do that, even out of maldad and boredom (let's see what happens).

I for one, after 20 years still not accustomed to the mischievousness of the awesome culture around us, like to think of natural causes.
My wife then laps into silence of disbelief.

donP

@AE
In the long run you'll want to leave that place, Crissy says nothing good comes from it.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
So very sorry for your loss. I live in fear of my babies (dogs) being poisoned.
We have had that problem in Costambar too... just before the tourists come back.

RIP Tyson.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
QUESTION .....

In speaking to our housekeeper, who lives right across the road, we learned some more things. She and her brother got there right after Tyson died. She said that he was in a pool of urine, and had spit up a lot of black mucus/saliva. [Inside of rotties mouths are black, including gums]. He did not vomit the dog food that he had just eaten an hour before.

After reading the link posted about the cane toads and how their poison absorbs into the mouth membranes, I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen a dog die from that?? Knowing about the urine and black saliva, does that mean anything to any of you?

By the time we reached the vet, Tyson was already buried by the caretaker, so unfortunately there will be no blood testing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Investigation

... Tyson was already buried by the caretaker, so unfortunately there will be no blood testing.

Let them exhume him.
This will also tell people that you want to get to the roots...

My wife's advice:
Tell people that a Haitian voodoo guy will take care of this.... :chinese:

donP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am so sad to hear this from you. My best friend of 15 years passed in April from old age and I cannot get over him. I know exactly how you must feel. Sorry to see terrible things like this happen to such a good person. Dog poisoning is one of the ugly elements of the DR. So sorry.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Very unlikely cane toad. Rotty is a big dog and if it lived around the toads it knows. A very small dog could be toad poisoned if it bit one but not a Rotty. Passing quickly is another indication of poisoning and not a cane toad. Sorry, wish it was natural causes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I discussed this with my wife this morning.
She says, 100% poisoned. For Dominicans there are many reasons to do that, even out of maldad and boredom (let's see what happens).

I for one, after 20 years still not accustomed to the mischievousness of the awesome culture around us, like to think of natural causes.
My wife then laps into silence of disbelief.

donP

@AE
In the long run you'll want to leave that place, Crissy says nothing good comes from it.

Crissy is probably right, especially if the property is robbed soon, or if they kill the other dog.

Let them exhume him.
This will also tell people that you want to get to the roots...

My wife's advice:
Tell people that a Haitian voodoo guy will take care of this.... :chinese:

donP

We're in deep campo, not possible to do tests/autopsy. If we were there to bring him to SD would be different - but if we were there he may not have been poisoned.

Caretaker is Haitian, and they all think he does voodoo already. One time he even chalked some weird symbols on the gate that scared the crap out of everyone [he said it was meaningless gibberish just to get them going, but who knows?]. Unfortunately, he does not live on the property, and this has spooked him a lot, he's actually scared himself.

it's pointless to dwell on this. leave it be.

Sorry it bothers you, it's less than 24 hours, still very upset, worried about the other dog and worried about the house and the car - assuming it was poison. Very different scenario if toad death.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So sorry for your loss.... heartbreaking.

We lost Simba last Xmas eve. He ate, then vomited, laced pork meat. He took several days to die of internal bleeding. It still hurts thinking of it now.

A few days later, my SIL's dogs, who lives next door, died 10 mn after eating supper......

We came to the collective conclusion, that #1 it was the same bast.ards, and #2 SIL's dogs died so fast cos the poison was mixed in with the food ( and so the dogs didnt " reject" it ).
Maybe discard the dog food, just to be on the safe side ? Just an opinion, and we all know what is said about opinions.......

R.I.P Tyron. Our thoughts are with you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Sorry it bothers you, it's less than 24 hours, still very upset, worried about the other dog and worried about the house and the car - assuming it was poison. Very different scenario if toad death.

no. it bothers you. i lost animals here and i know how bad it hurts. you suffer more if you dig into details, trust. and there are many reasons to kill a dog aside from a robbery plan. for one, there was a recent case of rabia humana in SD norte. people may be more prone to kill dogs now. dog poisoning in costambar, mentioned earlier, were simply an act of a hateful asswipe mofoka, no other motive. then someone could have killed tyson because he barks too much or because he scared someone's kid, or nearly bit someone. or it could have been a genuine mistake of a caretaker who left out a poison prepared for rats or it could have been concentrated weed killer, whatever. and yeah, i think he would have never admitted that.

if you must get into this try to find out if any other dogs in the area were killed or are missing. it may throw some perspective on things.

and let me repeat: i am really sorry it has happened. big hugs for you. our animals are like family to us and it is always a sad loss when they die.

it's pointless to dwell on this. leave it be.

I disagree, I would want to know how he was killed if it is possible to know. Deep in the campo is hard though and really i would want to know if i have to expect someone robbing my house and killing my other dog.

AE is there anyone who could kinda come in and stay at your house for a week or so?

Everyone is different dv8, you may not like to "dwell" or know all about it where others do need to know to start the healing process. I think it must be much harder not actually being in the DR to see what is going on.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We will never know for sure what killed "Tyson".
"Speculating", at least for me, serves no purpose, dilutes the grieving process, and "Testing" is NOT an option here in any case.
I have had about 8 of my dogs poisoned here in SD over the last 20 years,
I NEVER SAW A "CANE TOAD", BUT I HAVE SEEN a Dominican!!!!!

I'll leave it at that, this is about losing a "BFF", NOT A CULTURAL/MORAL DEFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Tyson", lives on in his daughter!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
My condolences, Tyson was our dog before we had to leave. Such a beautiful dog. Let's hope Karma happens and the bast arts who did it suffer the same fate.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My condolences, Tyson was our dog before we had to leave. Such a beautiful dog. Let's hope Karma happens and the bast arts who did it suffer the same fate.

Yes, he was a very special dog, and I thank you for sharing him with us these past years. A lot of his specialness was undoubtedly from the training you gave him his first year; he was gentle and ferocious at the same time, and followed commands in English and Spanish. Know that he was loved by us all and well cared for. Our dogs are part of the family, and wherever I would sit (inside or out) Tyson would find a spot nearby to rest. He was never tied up unless the vet was trying to give him a shot, and had a large finca to run around and play. He never did get over his fear of water though.

He lives on in his daughter, our beloved Lily, photo in post #1; she's his clone.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
Nothing surprises me anymore. Colombia is starting to look better every day.
My home was robbed a couple of months ago and no one seen anything. You would at least think your neighbors would look out for your home when you're not around.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
very sorry to hear about your dog...it is like losing a member of your family.
I hope who ever did the deed...gets his just rewards

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nothing surprises me anymore. Colombia is starting to look better every day.
My home was robbed a couple of months ago and no one seen anything. You would at least think your neighbors would look out for your home when you're not around.

Sad to say, but if we get robbed in DR the first people I'd suspect are our neighbors. :(