Overall Stats on Dominicans in the United States

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Mountain Annie for the info.

And for those who don't like the info...why shoot the messenger?

Frank

The messengers over time have been shot when the recipient does not like the message and prefers their own self created reality. I have a large extended Dominican family. The Dominicans are head and shoulders above others on milking the system. MA's statistics are not fake news and are proof of this.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You seem to like numbers. I like numbers as well. Do you have any numbers for how much time you have spent within Dominican communities abroad, and how many people you know within these communities? Not just the USA, but abroad as a whole? As in the world. Spain? Switzerland? Germany? Japan? Russia? Argentina? Colombia? Ecuador? South Africa? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Any numbers on these populations? Or is it just the USA that concerns you? These are my questions for you. I'm here when you're ready, with real live experience (facts), not numbers copied and pasted.

Yes, it is just the USA that concerns me since that is where I live and where the numbers are available and where the "crackdown" is taking place. It is also where the majority of Dominican immigrants live. You are free to research the other nations if you can find the numbers.

I have no experience living in Dominican expat communities.

I lived in the DR for 12 years. I was the expat.

Where I live now, the majority expat community is Haitian- Palm Beach County Florida

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Understood, but this is another baited thread. Posters open up threads such as this on the "open forum", and the only way to respond is by including information which is not allowed on threads such as this, as per the rules. If this were an Off Topic thread it would be different, but it's not.

I believe that I posted this properly under the "Dominicans Abroad" Forum. The links, as others have underlined. are merely to studies and statistics. I believe that the sources are reasonably unbiased - although perhaps a bit "pro" immigrant. There are - within those links, other figures, and other statistics. that might be interesting.

It is true that the United States takes in more immigrants per year than the rest of the world - this - at least - WAS true before the recent immigrant crisis from Syria in Europe. It is also true that remittances from immigrants in the US support many families living back in their home nations. http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/06/dominican-republic-remittance-crunch-but-women-migrants-keep-sending/

If a recent immigrant is receiving benefits from the US government, does the government not have a right to seize or tax any and all remittances sent home? For reimbursement for expenses paid on behalf?

merely a question...

hold your fire..

Debate question only -- should remittances be subject to taxation?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I believe that I posted this properly under the "Dominicans Abroad" Forum. The links, as others have underlined. are merely to studies and statistics. I believe that the sources are reasonably unbiased - although perhaps a bit "pro" immigrant. There are - within those links, other figures, and other statistics. that might be interesting.

It is true that the United States takes in more immigrants per year than the rest of the world - this - at least - WAS true before the recent immigrant crisis from Syria in Europe. It is also true that remittances from immigrants in the US support many families living back in their home nations. http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/06/dominican-republic-remittance-crunch-but-women-migrants-keep-sending/

If a recent immigrant is receiving benefits from the US government, does the government not have a right to seize or tax any and all remittances sent home? For reimbursement for expenses paid on behalf?

merely a question...

hold your fire..

Debate question only -- should remittances be subject to taxation?

Yes, you posted this exactly where it belongs. 

As far as immigrants collecting government benefits........When we sponsored my in-laws, we had to sign an affidavit promising to repay the US government if any of them collected a cent. I was relieved when one became a citizen, and the others turned in their residency for 10 year visa. 

I'd bet that no one has ever actually been made to pay back benefits their relatives collected. If they actually followed the law and did that, it would go a long way in discouraging the practice. People wouldn't be so eager to sponsor. 

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Many folks like to just mention immigrants.....there are legals and illegals and Trump is after the illegal undocumented one's rightfully so....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Letty Guitierriez, who works at the Central Bank and holds a Master’s degree from Columbia University in New York, did intensive studies in remittances across the region.

"Our culture is very specific," she says. "Every Dominican who lives abroad is expected to send home remittances. Most Dominicans, in the States (U.S.) at least, are intending to return here for their retirement. They send home money to help their families and their communities. I even had some of them in New York who asked me if I wanted them to send money to me when I returned."

She explains that the remittance delivery system in the Dominican Republic is very advanced. The money, in pesos or dollars, is delivered right to the home, all across the country. Many of the companies are not even charging now for transmission, making their money on the foreign exchange rate.

"This," according to Guitierriez, "makes it difficult for the banks to get this money into regular accounts, where perhaps the receivers might access other bank services such as credit for business. Remittance money is seen as something separate, as money that a person can keep and spend just as she wants."

While the rate of remittances has dropped over the last year, the Central Bank figures still show a steady rise over the years. From 1999 to 2008 the total value of remittances doubled from 1.5 billion to 3.1 billion dollars a year. Remittances account for more than 10 percent of the GDP.

Will there be a decline because of the U.S. crisis? "Families will be hard hit as this money is used primarily for daily living expenses, for rent, school, food, not luxuries," she replies. "But there is also a concern since remittances are the second largest source of dollars for the Dominican Republic, after tourism. That is money that we use to pay our foreign debt." http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/06/dominican-republic-remittance-crunch-but-women-migrants-keep-sending/

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Nope.. the Trump team is after a complete change in immigration policy... listen to Sessions..EVERY legal is gonna be at risk for deportation.. for a traffic violation...

MA,

Hasn't it always been that way? Whereby legal residents who hold a green card or otherwise could have been deported for some traffic violations? Not minor ones but drunk driving or vehicular homicide? Just asking because I am not sure.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would think that there might be many in the Dominican expat community who might fall under the "anyone who abused the public welfare system" https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/trump-immigration-deportation.html?_r=0

I ran out of my "free views" of the NY Times this month. I bet there are quite a few degenerates from everywhere living now in the DR, but it is not really a topic of this thread.

As far as I know, anyone who abuses the welfare system has always been breaking laws and is a criminal if that is the gist of the article. Just because liberals did not enforce the laws does not mean they did not exist.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
MA,

Hasn't it always been that way? Whereby legal residents who hold a green card or otherwise could have been deported for some traffic violations? Not minor ones but drunk driving or vehicular homicide? Just asking because I am not sure.

Vehicular homicide is hardly minor. it is a felony. and certainly a Felony would be a deportable offense. Obama was labeled "deporter in chief" and he did indeed deport more than any previous president. Perhaps on the books a green card holder could be deported for a misdemeanor but I simply do not know. And - well - what is done is done.

Trump was elected with a strong stand against "illegal" immigrants - and some did not read further than that - did not research his team - did not understand that there was also a shift implied AWAY from this entire "multicultural" immigrant stuff and more towards "college educated Christian people"....

One of those.. well.. I AM LEGAL so that is OK..

But if you listen to the CSpan Sessions speech in 2006 - he knew damn well all about the DR fraud stuff -- and has a thing about bringing in mom and dad from Honduras.... yada yada.. So I would expect that all those policies are going to change pretty quickly because they are all under the State Department and Congress.

There is a backlog in the courts - in the deportation courts. And some of the Blue States - like NY and CA - are going to throw up impediments. I expect some of the agricultural states will as well once they figure out they will not get their crops picked (I can not for the life of me figure out why the agribusinesses are not fined within an inch of their lives if they are using illegals? there are reports that the Wisconsin dairy industry is based almost entirely on illegals caring for cows? how can this be? do not know... not enough journalists in the field)

But - keep your eyes open - I think this administration is going to change policy dramatically. Listen to the entire Sessions speech. The Dominican Republic - in particular - is in the cross hairs..

It would be interesting to hear back from news on the ground from the DR on any change in visa processing.

Just because the Trump administration says it wants something. that does not mean it is going to happen any time soon. There have been very few places filled by DJT and the State Department will simply continue as it has been running, one assumes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Assuming anything about what Trump will do is unwise. The future is very uncertain. A change of policy is very likely and is what he promised. I think Trump will continue to act on illegal immigrants and those who are legal and break laws subjecting them to deportation as well.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I ran out of my "free views" of the NY Times this month. I bet there are quite a few degenerates from everywhere living now in the DR, but it is not really a topic of this thread.

As far as I know, anyone who abuses the welfare system has always been breaking laws and is a criminal if that is the gist of the article. Just because liberals did not enforce the laws does not mean they did not exist.

yes..There are always laws on the books when you need them. DJT was endorsed by the ICE officers union and has asked for many more officers. There are now ICE raids going on both on the southern border and Rockland County. http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/2017/02/27/immigration-raids-rockland/98507464/

I believe that both Governor Cuomo and Mayor DiBlasio have said that they will not deputize the NYC and NYS police to assist the ICE. Police have heretofor practiced a sort of catch and release program. It remains to be seen how these persons who are caught will be held.

Although it is impossible to actually measure illegals or where they are from, immigrant rights groups appear to do so.. how I do not know. My suspicions are - always - they they track only the law abiding illegals - not the criminals.

Fortunately, many of the criminal elements from the DR are also quite wealthy, having been involved for many years in the very lucrative distribution of crack cocaine. Now might be a good time to head to Colombia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Luis_Polanco_Rodríguez

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Assuming anything about what Trump will do is unwise. The future is very uncertain. A change of policy is very likely and is what he promised. I think Trump will continue to act on illegal immigrants and those who are legal and break laws subjecting them to deportation as well.

I was actually basing my ideas of immigration more on Sessions.. Who does indeed have very firm ideas on immigration and many other things

i do not base anything on ideas of Trump I am not certain that Trump has ideas

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What is loosely termed "welfare" here is in fact Aid to Families with Dependent Children. Most Dominican women have children. Child care costs in the US are exorbitant. In the DR its the norm for families to help each other out with the demands of caring for young children. In the US these women do not have a large family to help out and are left with either paying the costs for child care or applying for legally available assistance. I think all young children should get an education food, clothes and high quality medical care. It is in the best interests of the US that children grow up to be healthy citizens. The US is the richest country on earth and can well afford programs that help children. These are not programs that provide money to single healthy adults to stay home and watch tv all day. For legal immigrants there is a part of the immigration process that guarantees full repayment for all who apply for and receive government benefits. I do not see any stigma attached to a mother who applies to receive benefits. I wish the programs were more generous as they are really for the most part only subsistence. Again, these programs do not assist able bodied single men and women who are physically able to work.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
What is loosely termed "welfare" here is in fact Aid to Families with Dependent Children. Most Dominican women have children. Child care costs in the US are exorbitant. In the DR its the norm for families to help each other out with the demands of caring for young children. In the US these women do not have a large family to help out and are left with either paying the costs for child care or applying for legally available assistance. I think all young children should get an education food, clothes and high quality medical care. It is in the best interests of the US that children grow up to be healthy citizens. The US is the richest country on earth and can well afford programs that help children. These are not programs that provide money to single healthy adults to stay home and watch tv all day. For legal immigrants there is a part of the immigration process that guarantees full repayment for all who apply for and receive government benefits. I do not see any stigma attached to a mother who applies to receive benefits. I wish the programs were more generous as they are really for the most part only subsistence. Again, these programs do not assist able bodied single men and women who are physically able to work.

not arguing your point..
question only arises

why to allow such needy immigrants into the USA?

which is now the world's largest debtor nation

Why to allow in immigrants who cannot speak English?
Why to allow in immigrants over working age?
Why to allow in immigrants from a country whose immigrants have SO "overused" the "welfare" system

When - according to stringent research conducted - most of them are sending money home to their own families, putting it aside for their own retirements back in their own countries?

Why are my tax dollars paying for that?

just doing the devil's advocate stuff here...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
not arguing your point..
question only arises

why to allow such needy immigrants into the USA?

which is now the world's largest debtor nation

Why to allow in immigrants who cannot speak English?
Why to allow in immigrants over working age?
Why to allow in immigrants from a country whose immigrants have SO "overused" the "welfare" system

When - according to stringent research conducted - most of them are sending money home to their own families, putting it aside for their own retirements back in their own countries?

Why are my tax dollars paying for that?

just doing the devil's advocate stuff here...

Exactly the questions I would ask of Trump..