Overstay/Exit fine went up last week?!?!?!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just stating facts, ay.

What facts?

I previously admitted I did not realize it went up from RD800 to RD2500.
No need to stalk my three month old posts, that is just creepy guy.
See if you can find Brent's remains.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What facts?

I previously admitted I did not realize it went up from RD800 to RD2500.
No need to stalk my three month old posts, that is just creepy guy.
See if you can find Brent's remains.

Indeed TTTTTTT calm down.
I'm not stalking anyone. If you feel that way, perhaps you should try growing a set or just stop posting. Learn to take your lumps.
You dish out on a regular basis but seem to have trouble taking it? See if I can find Brent's remains? Not my job nor something I feel obligated to do. If I were interested, I'd be commenting on that thread.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think we have always kind of known that the exit fee is more of a way to grab a few more pesos from foreigners than being an effective means of enforcing immigration policy. The amounts charged are not punitive for most foreigners and do nothing to alter behavior. I have no idea how much is collected over the course of a year but suspect it is not insignificant.

After reading the news story I am left with two thoughts.

1) The Diputada should be careful what she wishes for. With no means to "profit" from those over staying their tourist visa, there is absolutely no incentive to allow such activity to continue.

2) This may be a trail balloon sent aloft to gauge public reaction to the elimination of those fees at some point subsequent to June 16. No easy means of legitimizing an extended stay in the country will result in a rather awkward conversation with immigration when one does choose to leave and that may be the intended outcome.

I gather this exit fee program has been in existence since the dawn of time. I find it rather suspect that only now, in this time of immigration readjustment, a lowly Diputada would call for its repeal. I also have a hard time believing that a gringo family of four could be reduced to tears by a fee that they had to know of and probably have paid several times before.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
BTW I wanted to add that after arriving home I noticed that my passport was not stamped on the way out. It's a new passport so the only stamp was entrada Jan.9 2015. I better make sure they stamp it when I return to the DR next winter or there will be a battle on the way out. ;)

Anyone else notice that this year or was it just me?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I think we have always kind of known that the exit fee is more of a way to grab a few more pesos from foreigners than being an effective means of enforcing immigration policy. The amounts charged are not punitive for most foreigners and do nothing to alter behavior. I have no idea how much is collected over the course of a year but suspect it is not insignificant.

After reading the news story I am left with two thoughts.

1) The Diputada should be careful what she wishes for. With no means to "profit" from those over staying their tourist visa, there is absolutely no incentive to allow such activity to continue.

2) This may be a trail balloon sent aloft to gauge public reaction to the elimination of those fees at some point subsequent to June 16. No easy means of legitimizing an extended stay in the country will result in a rather awkward conversation with immigration when one does choose to leave and that may be the intended outcome.

I gather this exit fee program has been in existence since the dawn of time. I find it rather suspect that only now, in this time of immigration readjustment, a lowly Diputada would call for its repeal. I also have a hard time believing that a gringo family of four could be reduced to tears by a fee that they had to know of and probably have paid several times before.

It is no different than the fine or fees other countries impose. I doubt her rants will be taken seriously.

She was probably PMS'ing.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I remember once they missed an exit stamp on mine (a couple of years ago) and then on return I had to show them the second entry to convince them I haven't been here for over a year - always check that immigration does the entry and exit stamps correctly ...