Overstay/Exit fine went up last week?!?!?!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just a question, is this period of over-stay after the the permitted 30 days !?

So if you stay your 30 days visa then after that you stay 1-3 months you pay 2500 pesos (so maximum of 4 months) then if you stay your 30 days plus 3-9 months then 4000 pesos (maximum of 10 months) !?

Say I enter the country on a certain date then leave after 4 and a half months (that includes my permitted 30 days visa period), how much would I pay !?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unproductive fear mongering and untrue as well. It might closes the door on people too Lazy, cheap, or dishonest to follow through with proper procedures. Do you fit into any of those categories?

This is common sense. Those with valid residency cards or residency certificates of deposit will not be impacted by any of these immigration changes. Me thinks, it's the one's who have been spoiled by the lax enforcement of the rules for so long are being stubbornly skeptical and resistant. It's their lives and their futures. I chose to be a legal resident from day one because that is what my comfort level required.

I have no doubt that some will be able to stay here without residency for a very long time. Others might not be so lucky. I wouldn't want to wonder everyday which group I was in.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

So if you stay your 30 days visa then after that you stay 1-3 months you pay 2500 pesos (so maximum of 4 months) then if you stay your 30 days plus 3-9 months then 4000 pesos (maximum of 10 months) !?

Say I enter the country on a certain date then leave after 4 and a half months (that includes my permitted 30 days visa period), how much would I pay !?

No. If you stay one day past the day your tourist card expires (ie. 31 days) then you pay the exit fee. If you are in the country for longer than 3 months, past the date you entered, then you are bumped up to the next tier of exit fees.

The day count starts the day you enter the country, not the date you on which become an over-stayer.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

There is no plus, if you stay one day or two past the 30 days you pay2500 pesos

You can't subtract your 30 days because you hve already overstaye even if it's your 31st day

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Okay, so the periods in the table refer to periods from the entry date not after the 30 days.

I guess this is a bit confusing, like everything else in DR, the table should really be 0-2 months and 2-8 months etc. to show the over-stay period beyond the permitted/allowed 30 days (after all, they give you visa for 30 days so it is silly including it on that table). That would be more logical.

Anyway, personally I think 2500p and 4000p are very reasonable, I was just in an Asian country and for just two months extension they wanted nearly US$160, so still a bargain here in DR.

Once it goes up more, then there would be a nice business opportunity for visa runs to Haiti (I mentioned this before, bus/van with A/C, with pick up and drop off), just like people do in other countries.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I don't think many people would want to go through complicated residency procedure for a few months a year stay here...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can you go to the airport and get an extension before your 30 days expire? If yes, is it cheaper than just paying the fine?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
most need not,
provision will be made for extended stay..... whether that be a 'pay up front' visit - or a pay as you leave situation.

who cares..... no short term visitor should be too put out

the issue is all the Boo Radleys hiding behind doors and curtains and skirts of their Dominicanas
they're in for a surprise........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
how easy will this be?

upon arrival, you go to the tourist ticket booth and they ask you how long you want to stay..
30 days, 60 days..... and so on

you buy the appropriate tourist card and go on your way........

facil........

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can you go to the airport and get an extension before your 30 days expire? If yes, is it cheaper than just paying the fine?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Bob saunders, I am not lazy, not dishonist yes poor but not cheep. I can not come and stay for 6 mounths a year I am not in my sixtys so residency is out of the question. I am not fearmongering I am afraid. Get it Bob? I have 1000ends of dolors worth of things over there in an apartment and to
make things worse I am unemployed at the moment. So it is fantastic that some of you can shout from your soap box that you are so good and
legal but some of us are stuck in a hard spot.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
DR Citizenship which is $600US / person. What does this mean? If the exit fee is going to be in the area of $600? I have spoken to several attorneys and residency is 4 times that much and has to be redone every year for saeveral years in a row, nobody seems to have an exact answer how many.
We have just completed our initial Provisional Residency/Cedula..by completed that means cards in hand. After a glitch.(.new /different Criminal Records check from Canada(RCMP with fingerprints) all documents submitted for final processing on Sept 8th 2014..went to Santo Domingo Feb 2nd for final pics/documents!! All done with the help of our very competent lawyer for a reasonable fee..( not $2400 Derfish..of course this depends on the lawyer..do your research!)..Cost of documents in Canada(yes process HAS to be started in your home country!) including translation/embassy stamps ..$750 US per person..Lawyers fees approx. $1000 pp (this included medical/submission fees at migration) and having her drive us around to the required venues..and taking us for lunch afterwards..the Metro to S.D. ..Twice..$700 RD each trip..
I will gladly provide our lawyers name for anyone needing assistance..message me for the info. and good luck..luckily we only made one trip and got dinged for the new overstay fees during our wait. :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob saunders, I am not lazy, not dishonist yes poor but not cheep. I can not come and stay for 6 mounths a year I am not in my sixtys so residency is out of the question. I am not fearmongering I am afraid. Get it Bob? I have 1000ends of dolors worth of things over there in an apartment and to
make things worse I am unemployed at the moment. So it is fantastic that some of you can shout from your soap box that you are so good and

So what has that to do with saying the DR government is going to pick on White people ( what you said)? I'm not in my sixties either. Look, sometimes a person just has bad luck, but usually bad luck is the result of poor judgement and poor planning. Before you moved/bought any of your personal items you knew what the rules were. They really haven't changed much, just the enforcement is being stepped up. My mother always told me and my brothers that poor decisions on our part were not an emergency for her.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
But since you turn the tourist card in within minutes how would you prove what card you'd bought?

don't be obtuse Derf....

clearly, it will be a new system... most likely recorded in your passport or some form of proof that you will be REQUIRED to carry
consider it a short term cedula..........temporal

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

OK -- the easy answer to your problems

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO STAY 6 MONTHS

Does that clear it up?
Tell BowWow he is clear to buy his house now -- will you?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So I can become a resident and then only spend 3 mounths a year in the RD and not louse my residency? And I pay to renew it when ever I have
the opportunity to come back to the RD?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So I can become a resident and then only spend 3 mounths a year in the RD and not louse my residency? And I pay to renew it when ever I have

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

Sort of. Your residency renewal needs to be completed by the date it expires. If you are late, you pay a monthly fine for both your residency card and your cedula until such time as they are renewed. If you go too long without renewing you may find your residency cancelled and you need to start again.

There does not appear to be a minimum required amount of time that must be spent in the DR by residents each year. Common sense might suggest coming at least once a year so at renewal time no one has cause to ask why you have residency when you haven't been in the country for two years?