owning a shot gun vs a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wishing you well

This from someone to show you how simple it really is. As you have no clue or any experience on the topic you are preaching about.

Owning A Gun In DR

In the Dominican Republic, the gun shop does most of the work, shuffling you from one place to the next through each step of the process, which differs depending on whether you’re transferring a used gun or buying a new one. As the shop I visited had no new guns, I went through the transfer process, meaning the current owner had to be present.

First step was a visit to the administrative office that issues the license. It was like a fancy DMV with people helping to guide you from one window to the next. First the seller went into a room to check the gun, while I was guided to a window where I was registered and had fingerprints and a photo taken.

Then the seller went up to another window for some paperwork.

Next stop were the drug and proficiency tests, both administered in the same place. Pee on the left; shoot on the right. They have you shoot one bullet from a well-used 9mm (that still looked better than the Taurus in Panama). The guy administering the proficiency test seemed surprised when I hit the 10 zone. I tried not to feel insulted.

Next a quick stop to get two passport-sized photos before heading over to another office to submit the gun and the paperwork for processing.

All in all, start to finish, the process took less than two hours. Accomplishing anything in any Latin American country in less than two hours is extraordinarily efficient.

Now I wait 30 and 60 days for approval. After that, I can go pick up my gun license and gun.

Since I don’t live in the DR, a friend has arranged for storage at a gun facility for me.

Why have a gun in a country where I’m not living full-time? Because I can. Now every time I visit, I’ll be able to go to the shooting range with my friend and shoot with my own gun. For me, it’s one more benefit of my DR residency.

Lief Simon

BAM!

Owned.

Thanks for describing the entire process SKY .

C

Caonabo

You are 100% correct. I should have stopped taking the bait a long time ago. You are the prefect example of why you should carry. There is no rebuttal.....

As your hostile postings show, it's usually the hot headed types who desire to possess these weapons of death. Normal people do not need, nor wish to possess them.

D

Don PISTOLAS

As your hostile postings show, it's usually the hot headed types who desire to possess these weapons of death. Normal people do not need, nor wish to possess them.

Saying weapons of death is redundant...

weapon

/ˈwɛp(ə)n/

noun

a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.

a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest.

D

Don PISTOLAS

I believe this thread had to do with home protection within the RD. Not gun slinging in the US of A.

Ops original post...

owning a shot gun vs a gun

Anyone know of the correct law for owning a shot gun. Many rumors out there.???????? Am a legal resident.

J

janlindy

as the OP here, I was looking for information only as a resource. I received good information and am greatfull. SKY do you know if being a permenate resident vs a tempory makes any difference

S

SKY

as the OP here, I was looking for information only as a resource. I received good information and am greatfull. SKY do you know if being a permenate resident vs a tempory makes any difference

Yes it does. You cannot get a firearm with temporary residence, you need permanent.

M

malko

BAM!

Owned.

Thanks for describing the entire process SKY .

It seems it has gotten more complicated and a much longer process, over the years.

Also, unless stuff has changed ( which is quite likely, as we change the constitution as often as underwear ;) ), there are 2 gun licences------ gun " possesion" and gun " carry ".
Technically you can have a shotgun at home, and/or in your car, which is the nice way of saying you cant walk around with one.
If you have a gun " carry " license, you can ( or could ) register 2 hand guns and one shotgun on it. Renewable yearly.
The gun " possession " license, in the case of a shotgun, is valid permantly ( or was ).

B

Big

Saying weapons of death is redundant...

weapon

/ˈwɛp(ə)n/

noun

a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.

a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest.

lol.. Awesome… this is why I joined

B

Big

When I carried, I carried concealed everywhere. Most people carrying do not want anybody to know they are carrying. Kills the element of surprise and most want to go on about thier daily business hassled. When I moved to an open carry state, it took some getting use too for sure. But there was almost no violent crime there or theft from individuals!!

I hate the guys here carrying in thier pants with no holster. All bravado.

P230 with an ankle holster.....when its hot out, back pocket

F

Fulano2

You must have very wide clothes to conceal a gun here in the tropics. Or a very small gun.

D

Don PISTOLAS

P230 with an ankle holster.....when its hot out, back pocket

Anything other than a holster that loops through a belt with a snap , is a liability. With the exception of holsters that are attached to the body. If you get into a fight, or a scenerio where you have to run, there is a chance of the gun falling out.

D

Don PISTOLAS

Great. Another James Bond/Jason Bourne type running around the RD.

Maybe you should get yourself a gun...

"I myself, as a Dominican national do not feel comfortable driving at night in the RD, not to mention walking. "

You may want to change your name Chief. Caonabo was a real warrior!

B

Big

Great. Another James Bond/Jason Bourne type running around the RD.

Thanks for the compliment. Responsible gun ownership on the island exists. Ever wonder why taxi drivers are seldom robbed here. Ever heard of a robbery at a peleas de gallos venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.