P like Photovoltaics

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I'll post this but have NO confirmation but it IS from a good source.

We all know about how much the electric generators and distributors owe. Much more then figures from a few months ago and Who REALLY knows what the real numbers are? The generators and distributors bills just keeps going up with no way to pay. So:

Expect an 18% increase in the next few month.

Expect rotating power cuts/black outs for those that don't have them now and if you do, expect deeper ones.

Expect fuel prices for everything to increase.

AGAIN, this is from a good source but only one.
Heard something very similar yesterday also from a reliable source (not Mr. P.).
Really scary...

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Just a couple of years back nearly all posters were knocking solar. For a couple of thousand dollars a small apartment can go 90% solar. Reduce electric bills to manageable proportions perhaps $10 a month.

yapask1

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Heard something very similar yesterday also from a reliable source (not Mr. P.).
Really scary...

Today a news story on DR TV said that the electrical situation will improve in 2 weeks after the generators receive some money. LOL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just a couple of years back nearly all posters were knocking solar. For a couple of thousand dollars a small apartment can go 90% solar. Reduce electric bills to manageable proportions perhaps $10 a month.

yapask1

Just a couple of years back solar panels were much more expensive than they are today and payback times were far too long for most people to use them because it was not financially practical.

Now if the prices in the DR were equal to the prices in the US as they should be since there should be no import duties on solar energy systems, then many more people would find them practical.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Just a couple of years back solar panels were much more expensive than they are today and payback times were far too long for most people to use them because it was not financially practical.

Now if the prices in the DR were equal to the prices in the US as they should be since there should be no import duties on solar energy systems, then many more people would find them practical.

I think there is IBIS for panels over $200. Also extra transport costs because most panels are made in China.

yapask1

May 29, 2006
Here is a good under $100 project for folks who don't have huge power needs and don't want to spend a lot on a bigger invertor system:

Build a portable power pack for $25 - YouTube

You could hook it up to either a trickle charger or solar panel to keep the battery charged up. You could do it for a lot less if you can scrounge a battery for free or more if you go with the high-end marine batteries. I use a small invertor in my car now that runs off the lighter socket, which, for $30, takes care of my portable power needs.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Turning to Colombia for Help

Today a news story on DR TV said that the electrical situation will improve in 2 weeks after the generators receive some money. LOL.

Will Colombia help?
With money or "merchandise"? :cheeky:

"El presidente Danilo Medina est? buscando ayuda de parte del Gobierno de Colombia en aras de que ese pa?s suramericano financie parte de factura de combustible del sector el?ctrico."

Ven impotencia resolver apagones - ElNacional.com.do

donP

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Looks like my one source might know what he is talking about. lol

A little cloudy yesterday so only had 50.2 volts at 5 PM
Our auto timer for Edenorte kicked in at 6:20 this morning and the pools started up. Timer cuts them off at 10:30 AM.
Checked the batteries and still had 48.4 volts.
Battery shut down is set at 47.6 volts so will take Edenorte as pass thru OR start the gen. if E. is off.

I did use the gen. for 2 hours a couple of days ago to give the new batts another good charge SINCE EDENORTE blacked out 15 minutes into the charge cycle.

The new smaller 3/4 hp pool pump is doing fine even with just 4 hrs. per day. BUT I also took others advice (windeguy and Olly ?) and increased chemicals. So far.... so good.

So I'm right with you donP. Enjoying savings on my INFLATED E. bills AND diesel. :D

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
What happened?

Danilo has made eliminating the power problem one of his top priorities.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yctYa40N0aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There have been various brigades in our area the last few days. Lots of CDEE trucks cutting illegal connections everywhere
with lots of armed military standing by.

As far as I'm concerned, they're continuing what Celso put in place, eliminating illegal connections and signing people up.

So how did it feel getting cut off JD? Signed up yet? :cheeky:

Since new deals are trying to be worked out with Colombia I wonder were the dealS are with Chavez? :rolleyes: :ermm:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think there is IBIS for panels over $200. Also extra transport costs because most panels are made in China.

yapask1

I do imagine that there is ITIBIS on just about anything sold in the DR since many foods are now tagged with ITIBIS. But that is not the same as a duty and in no way comes close to explaining the large difference in price between importing panels yourself and purchasing them here.

And as far as transport goes, think about it. How much extra would the transport coast be to the DR as opposed to Florida? That said, it is much cheaper to import the panels from a US reseller than it is to purchase them in the DR. There must be hundreds of Chinese ships unloading the lowest class Chinese products every week in the DR.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Edenorte is true to themselves and boosting schedule.

The beginning of the month is no problem. The middle of the month is a ... hey what. As we go into the last week of the month, without fail, we go WHAT THE .... ? fill in as needed.

I just read todays meter readings and hit this months high.

Pool pump rated at 1.5 plus pool pump 2 rated at .55. Last couple of weeks everything within reason being 2.5 kwh X 4 hours being 8.2 TOTAL KWH FOR THOSE 4 HOURS. No problem... IT WORKS.

Today we got a reading of 20 KwH for the same two, and only two items.... on a timer for Edenorte that has not changed.

11.8 kwh difference for the same equipment run for the same time... and the next day that I'm being charged for?

Who used that 11.8 kwh? Why do my Kwh go up each week while changing/usage is the same? Please tell me why I'm over 4 X at the end of the month?

Sorry... a little miffed. LOLO

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Solar panels

Edenorte is true to themselves and boosting schedule.

The beginning of the month is no problem. The middle of the month is a ... hey what. As we go into the last week of the month, without fail, we go WHAT THE .... ? fill in as needed.

I just read todays meter readings and hit this months high.

Pool pump rated at 1.5 plus pool pump 2 rated at .55. Last couple of weeks everything within reason being 2.5 kwh X 4 hours being 8.2 TOTAL KWH FOR THOSE 4 HOURS. No problem... IT WORKS.

Today we got a reading of 20 KwH for the same two, and only two items.... on a timer for Edenorte that has not changed.

11.8 kwh difference for the same equipment run for the same time... and the next day that I'm being charged for?

Who used that 11.8 kwh? Why do my Kwh go up each week while changing/usage is the same? Please tell me why I'm over 4 X at the end of the month?

Sorry... a little miffed. LOLO

I installed a system in Samana with 20 panels and two SMA inverters, no battery bank. For those who do not experience a lot of power interruptions, and just want to reduce your bill, that is the way to go, since you save a lot on the cost of batteries. I am generating about 20 kw per day, and it would be much more if I positioned the panels to get more sun in the afternoon.
Getting the panels in the country without the taxes can be a hassle. I spent four days in Santo Domingo, and after going from one agency to another, I finally gave up when two departments each wanted original copies of the paperwork.
I have a source to buy panels, inverters, and racking at a discount, and I can offer systems at a reasonable price. If anyone wants a quote, just tell me how many Kw you consume or wish to generate. You are also welcome to come see my system in Samana. I will be there the weekend of October 12,13,14. email is reilleyp@yahoo.com

donP

Dec 14, 2008
... 20 panels and two SMA inverters, no battery bank. For those who do not experience a lot of power interruptions, and just want to reduce your bill, that is the way to go, since you save a lot on the cost of batteries.
That's an expensive investment if you cannot store the energy.
So, at night with an 'apag?n' you are in the dark or have to run a generator. :rolleyes:

And if someone does not have many blackouts why get 20 panels? :cool:

IMO, you had been better of with 10 or 12 panels and a battery bank.

BTW, how many Wp does each panel generate?
What is their alignment (azimuth and inclination)?

about 20 kw per day...
You mean kWh, right?
An average of 15 kWh would sound more realistic, unless your panels are more than 250 Wp.

In the last few days we had very cloudy weather and rain in Saman? which brought down my average to 9.785 kWh/d. :mad:

But still sufficient to not start the diesel... :classic:

donP

Last edited:

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
dude, 20 panels and no battery bank? maybe the person that installed ur panels are gettin a kickback DR style on ur incentives ur feeding to the grid or maybe he bought a battery bank with ur money and ur feedin him ur stored power and he's feeding the whole neighborhood with his cut!
reduce the bills....buy some led lights from walmart 2 watts each for stinkin 5 bucks...thats how ya do it!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bicycle Generator

....feeding to the grid ...
We do not know whether he can do that.
Actually few people here can feed back to power lines.
I for one cannnot.

....buy some led lights from walmart 2 watts each for stinkin 5 bucks...thats how ya do it!
Without stored power and during a blackout not even LED bulbs help.

But, of course, you can always turn to Yanadu's solution:

velogenerator500x300.jpg

donP

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Real life and things are fine.

I checked my batts at 5 PM last night and only had 49.6 volts. Cloudy day and staff using electricity during the day.

So I turned the timer off so Edenorte would keep everything going via inverter pass thru if the batteries got to the shut down point. :mad: :disappoin

Got up this morning and put coffee in the microwave and noticed the generator running. :confused:
Since I shut off the timer, Edenorte should have the load and the generator should not start. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I looked out and saw the street lights on so I just figured that I had flipped a switch or setting and I messed up. :( I have to have my coffee first and then I'll go check things out. :cross-eye

So at about the time that the timer would have turned E back on at 6:15 AM (I had seen the street lights on just before) the generator shuts down. I figure that that batts are charged up and that all is working as it should other then... Why did the Gen. start at all. :rolleyes:

Guess what? Edenorte black out SO the generator did what it was programed to due. :)

So now we have real life and how things are going to work... or not. Everything worked just like it should. :bunny:

My second cup of coffee was even better. :p

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Let them work.

I checked my batts at 5 PM last night and only had 49.6 volts. Cloudy day and staff using electricity during the day.

Only 49.6 V?
That's still about 75% of their capacity and a good charge. :bunny:
There is nothing wrong with letting them work down to 40 - 50%, they are deep-cycle batteries after all and their life will not shorten so much with that.

Remember, when I did not have the solar panels yet, by batteries came down to about 30-40% capacity each and every day, and yet the sets lasted more than 3 years.

donP

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Only 49.6 V?
That's still about 75% of their capacity and a good charge.
There is nothing wrong with letting them work down to 40 - 50%, they are deep-cycle batteries after all and their life will not shorten so much with that.

Remember, when I did not have the solar panels yet, by batteries came down to about 30-40% capacity each and every day, and yet the sets lasted more than 3 years.

donP

The battery cut off is set at 47.6 volts as recommened by several sources. Edenorte is the back-up for pass thru but not to charge. IF/When Edenorte is off-line, then the Generator starts and takes the load and charges. As it did this morning.

So we used 2 volts last night and needed a little more. (@ 50.6 volts we are fine with extra to spare)
Large refer/freezer/ice maker. Water sanitation system. Fan. 10 outdoor securty lights. 5 cameras. Alarm system. TV, lights and things on in the evening and early morning. Some puter/wifi stuff on. Water pump as needed. Microwave as needed. Coffee maker. etc.. So we manage to use up more then the 2 volts that we had stored up last night.

That make more sense now?