Papal Nuncio vs US Ambassador

Status
Not open for further replies.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, Ambassador Brewer has a house in Casa de Campo.

If he was given his choice of positions, he probably chose the DR.

Errrr, "choice of positions" with regards to countries where he wanted to serve.

Otherwise, it really doesn't make much sense to send him here when there are so many Spanish-speaking Obama supporters who could have taken the post.

Errrr, taken the diplomatic posting.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, Ambassador Brewer has a house in Casa de Campo.

If he was given his choice of positions, he probably chose the DR.

Errrr, "choice of positions" with regards to countries where he wanted to serve.

Otherwise, it really doesn't make much sense to send him here when there are so many Spanish-speaking Obama supporters who could have taken the post.

Errrr, taken the diplomatic posting.

Sigmund Freud is rolling in his grave here.

Something tells me that this Guy was in the position to be happy with whatever post would be bestowed upon him.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Keeping this on topic and DR related...

I know you guys talked about the ex Nuncio and the current us ambassador in off topic. I am not there yet.

The Vatican ambassador Archbishop Jude Thaddeus Okolo was born in Nigeria and served as a priest there. He was elevated to Archbishop in 2008 when he was appointed Nuncio (ambassador) to Chad and the Central African Republic. One could reasonably assume this man would not be up to the minute with the latest trend regarding the acceptance of openly homosexual couples in public society. It was his personal party to honor the president of the republic. Nobody forced him to cancel his little soiree. The brits are diplomatic leaders. They said no thank you. we won't go to a party where you exclude gay people. Others followed suit.

In the 1960's my friend's grandpa had a jewelry business. A lebanese american. at his home he had invited several jewish friends and colleagues to meet with his long time friends and fellow lebanese jewelry traders. They surreptitiously spoke in arabic asking how he could do business with Yahudis. He politely and quietly told them to leave his house and their business relationship was over. This man created an small empire lasting generations. He was brave and courageous. Individual actions matter.

The Brits and the French have an outsized influence on on the diplomatic community. they are always the best party invite to get. these people know each other and float above us in a rarified sphere of privilege. they know the rules of the game. Nuncio/Ambassador Okolo is merely a little behind the times. By all accounts he is an honorable man. May he will learn a lesson about being polite to people who are different than oneself.

Now, regarding the appropriateness of appointing brewster...DR is not saudi arabia. most dominicanos don't give a you know about gay stuff. They might make fun of gays a little. But that''s just they way they are. Not PC. They aren't gonna beat up their cousin who is gay. They are gonna protect him. and try and get him to go with a girl. Only the elites who have a vested interest in maintaining social control are the ones trying to manipulate this. DR will evolve on this topic. Twenty years from now it will be entirely different. in the meantime, Brewster was a reasonable choice.

"As an aside, diplomatic courtesy requires that the sending state ascertain if the proposed ambassadorial appointee is acceptable to receiving state. The acquiescence of the receiving state is showed by its granting of an agr?ment to the appointment. The Obama administration would not have released this nominee’s name had it not received the approval of the Dominican Republic."

The Dominican Embassy in Washington told The Cable:

“The Dominican Republic is a democracy with a vibrant media and a wide diversity of opinions on every conceivable topic,” the statement read. “However, it is the position of the Government of the Dominican Republic that a person?s sexual preference is strictly a personal matter and it looks forward to working constructively with Mr. Brewster in his official capacity once his nomination is approved by the US Senate.”

Officially In: James

Arguing that the Dominican Constitution only recognizes different sex marriages and that the husband of US ambassador James Brewster is registered in the Ministry of Foreign Relations as a "dependent" and not a spouse, Papal Nuncio Jude Thaddeus Okolo did not invite Brewster's husband, Bob Satawake, to a planned cocktail reception for diplomats in honor of President Danilo Medina. The event had to be cancelled when fellow ambassadors caught on to what had happened and chose to not attend. In a 22 January letter to Okolo, who is the dean of the diplomatic service, British ambassador Steven Fisher reportedly explained he would not attend, indicating that the decision not to invite the US ambassador's husband was unjustified discrimination against a member of the diplomatic corps. He had suggested to Okolo on 18 January that all be included in the in

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Brewster shouldn't have been appointed as ambassador to the DR, and it has nothing to do with his husband. Fact is he doesn't speak Spanish, and has no experience. It shows that the USA takes their relationship with the DR for granted.

Last edited:

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Why would america care who is the diplomat to the DR??? I am under the impression they have bigger problems than pleasing an Island that costs them more than they gain???

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why would america care who is the diplomat to the DR??? I am under the impression they have bigger problems than pleasing an Island that costs them more than they gain???

Cost them more than they gain? What does that have to do with at least appointing a Spanish speaking Diplomat, perhaps a Hispanic American professional foreign affairs employee.

Aug 6, 2006
When there is a political appointment such as this, the real business of the embassies is always carried out by career members of the foreign service, and the ambassador is just for show. Every country does this, and every government knows that this is how it works.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well the British ambassador is serving here with a woman who is not his wife ..http://dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/98754-daily-mail-new-british-ambassador.html so I wonder if She was invited? tricky these days to hold up those moral standards of Rome..

from the wiki

The nomination of an openly gay U. S. ambassador aroused controversy in the Dominican Republic, where during a press conference, Cardinal Nicol?s de Jes?s L?pez Rodr?guez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, referred to Brewster as a maric?n, equivalent to "faggot" in American Englsh. An auxiliary Bishop of Santo Domingo, Monse?or Pablo Cedano, issued a statement: "I hope he does not arrive in the country because I know if he comes he is going to suffer and will have to leave." Evangelical Christian leaders also denounced the appointment. U.S. Embassy spokesman Daniel Foote told reporters that Brewster was nominated "because of his skills as an international businessman and his ideas on democracy and human rights," adding, "Brewster arrives as an ambassador, he's not coming here as an activist for the gay community."[7][8]
Upon arriving in the Dominican Republic, Brewster posted a video introducing himself and his husband on the embassy's web page.[9]

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Cost them more than they gain? What does that have to do with at least appointing a Spanish speaking Diplomat, perhaps a Hispanic American professional foreign affairs employee.

The guy that obama wants for embassador to Argentina has never been to argentina. Argentina is only 3-4 years behind venezuela. But hey the guy is a big donor.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What percentage f ambassadors do you imagine speak tthe language of the country where they serve. I'm certain you can invent some figures.
Der Fish

Normally, for the USA, approximately 70% of Ambassadors come from the Diplomatic corps, professionals that have earned a promotion, and about 30% are patronage appointments. Obama has did approximately 50% patronage.
A professional Ambassador has a resume like this: Guy Saint-Jacques - Canada | LinkedIn
Note that he speaks mandarin

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The American Ambassador killed in the TERRORIST attack in Bengazi Libia was also gay.
Although I don't think he was officially "OUT"!
I'm sure the Muslims there would have been pleased!
A friend of mine and I once walked into a lesbian bar in Toledo Ohio.
They threw us OUT!
We had no such problems in all the "Gay" bars!
Must have been our dresses!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I THOUGHT I could TELL, if a man was "GAY", but Anderson Cooper got under my "GAYdar"!
He didn't "French" like he was Gay!
Who Knew?????????????????

A friend of mine and I once walked into a lesbian bar in Toledo Ohio.
They threw us OUT!
We had no such problems in all the "Gay" bars!
Must have been our dresses!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I THOUGHT I could TELL, if a man was "GAY", but Anderson Cooper got under my "GAYdar"!
He didn't "French" like he was Gay!
Who Knew?????????????????

They threw you out?! My best buddy would always come with me to the lesbo bars in Van and he got just as much action as I did!!

Status
Not open for further replies.