Pedro set to be open to traffic at night!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Yes, It was just like Disney Land with all the families and kids when the street was closed. Not a hooker in sight. All the flights from Miami were full with families with blond hair and blue eyes, not the old mongers with blood-shot eyes and a pockets full of Benjamins.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
am i the only gringo who actually quite likes it open to traffic? :)

it all seemed a bit undominican with the street closed....might as well have been in Paris!

Well - maybe Paris, Texas or Paris, Ontario - but I get your point. And there are lots of gringos who would like it open to traffic. Or at least open during the week - and maybe closed on the weekend. I get why some of the restaurants ( Schnitzel House and Britannia, for example - who have relatively small inside seating or street-facing seating - would be be in favour of the closing. And JR would perhaps be less supportive of it - as they have lots more open, street-facing seating.

Can't be all things to all people - but a weekends-only closing compromise might be the best for all. And wouldn't that encourage the restaurant owners to perhaps focus on more weekend specific events, hopefully talking to each other and planning a little better ? Instead of like the first couple of weeks when the street was first closed - 2 bands playing at 2 venues 30 feet apart, on the same night. Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
ok ok, so the Paris reference was a joke already :)

and i am not an old gringo who can't walk....far from it.
I just like the chaos!

I'm with you :nervous:

Chaos maybe : but 30 people sitting in an empty street on a Tuesday night : certainly looks less than prosperous

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
sometimes, just sometimes, it is nice to have a

conversation over dinner with

out having to pause every second

sentence as a motomoron drives

past

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
ok ok, so the Paris reference was a joke already :)

and i am not an old gringo who can't walk....far from it.
I just like the chaos!

Like the chaos? Me too..
You should try colmado hopping down here in the capitol sometime.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well - maybe Paris, Texas or Paris, Ontario - but I get your point. And there are lots of gringos who would like it open to traffic. Or at least open during the week - and maybe closed on the weekend. I get why some of the restaurants ( Schnitzel House and Britannia, for example - who have relatively small inside seating or street-facing seating - would be be in favour of the closing. And JR would perhaps be less supportive of it - as they have lots more open, street-facing seating.

Can't be all things to all people - but a weekends-only closing compromise might be the best for all. And wouldn't that encourage the restaurant owners to perhaps focus on more weekend specific events, hopefully talking to each other and planning a little better ? Instead of like the first couple of weeks when the street was first closed - 2 bands playing at 2 venues 30 feet apart, on the same night. Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

the real money gets spent on PC on the weekends, when the warriors come in to play. if closing the streets with an aim to make it family friendly is the idea, it's not so good for business.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
the real money gets spent on PC on the weekends, when the warriors come in to play. if closing the streets with an aim to make it family friendly is the idea, it's not so good for business.

Finally an accurate business assessment. There are plenty of family venues around other than Amsterdam central.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Finally an accurate business assessment. There are plenty of family venues around other than Amsterdam central.

Business assessment my rear end. You guys make it sound like the Weekend Warriors are getting on Jet Blue with pockets full of Krugerrand's. PC is about two blocks long, and it is not the life blood Sosua.

Be that as at it may, the decision to rid PC of Weekend Warriors is NOT based on economics.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Business assessment my rear end. You guys make it sound like the Weekend Warriors are getting on Jet Blue with pockets full of Krugerrand's. PC is about two blocks long, and it is not the life blood Sosua.

Be that as at it may, the decision to rid PC of Weekend Warriors is NOT based on economics.

we all know it is not based on economics. if it was, they would not get rid of them. and they are not getting on Jet Blue with Krugerrands. they are getting on with dollars. dollars that they spend like money is going out of style. have you ever met one of the guys to whom you allude? have you ever spent any time with them? if you have, then you know their spending habits, which are not to be sneezed at.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

PC might not be the life blood of Sosua, but the warrior-pay 4 play set is the life blood of PC. Take away PC and all those quaint little restaurants will go belly up as will the chica clothing stores and many other businesses around town.
Some report that crime is on the up tick on the north coast. What do you think will happen when you have a bunch of under employed motos, cooks, chicas etc. roaming around.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have not seen Rumba bar as busy as it was last night....in a long, long time. Packed wall to wall. Too bad the road was not closed last night. I had friends here that had trouble finding a room for the weekend....felt like old times again when Sosua had tourists and not the dead zone it normally is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
PC might not be the life blood of Sosua, but the warrior-pay 4 play set is the life blood of PC. Take away PC and all those quaint little restaurants will go belly up as will the chica clothing stores and many other businesses around town.
Some report that crime is on the up tick on the north coast. What do you think will happen when you have a bunch of under employed motos, cooks, chicas etc. roaming around.

pauleast, these guys have no idea what kind of contribution the weekend warrior gang makes to Sosua. the dog whistles usually are directed at the black guys who come in on Jet Blue ( which some posters here have cleverly renamed Jet Black), a group that spends great amounts of money on more than Pedro Clisante. for all of you that have never met black guys, and have no idea how they roll, listen up. these guys are into the "living large" paradigm. they do not spend their weekends in some bargain basement fleabag motel, but they rent high dollar villas. one of my friends who posts in this forum sent me a package with one of his relatives, and i ended up at the villa where the crew was staying. lavish digs, swimming pool, and all the trappings of the good life. these guys don't laze around drinking Presidente and Brugal. they go to Playero and stack the shopping cart with Hennessy and Grey Goose. they blow silly amounts of money on the chicas, buying them all kinds of clothes and other gifts, because it is all part of the show. i went to Mangu one night, and this juggler from Toronto ordered a whole case of champagne for him and his crew. anyone who believes that getting rid of them will not affect the economy is living way out there where the buses don't run.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
I didn't realize that if you closed the street to traffic on weekends then the Rumba Bar clients would be affected. I'm curious why a closed street would impact them. Anyway maybe just close half the street in front of the restaurants but leave it open in front of Rumba Bar. There is another road to coming down to PC without passing in front of the eateries.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
pauleast, these guys have no idea what kind of contribution the weekend warrior gang makes to Sosua. .

We agree the decision is not based on economics. But we disagree greatly on the PC crowds contribution to Sosua. Yes, they bring greenbacks and spend like there's no tomorrow (some of them). But there's a lot more money and investment in Sosua and the North Coast than what that crowd brings to town. The guys spending money on Pedro Clisante aren't even a drop in the bucket. And yes, some businesses will be affected. That's inevitable, but they'll adjust. Life goes on.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I have not seen Rumba bar as busy as it was last night....in a long, long time. Packed wall to wall. Too bad the road was not closed last night. I had friends here that had trouble finding a room for the weekend....felt like old times again when Sosua had tourists and not the dead zone it normally is.

Maybe that was because they couldn't get home? :)-)
Most/all flights from the NYC area to the DR were cancelled for today because of a snowstorm. :)-(

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We agree the decision is not based on economics. But we disagree greatly on the PC crowds contribution to Sosua. Yes, they bring greenbacks and spend like there's no tomorrow (some of them). But there's a lot more money and investment in Sosua and the North Coast than what that crowd brings to town. The guys spending money on Pedro Clisante aren't even a drop in the bucket. And yes, some businesses will be affected. That's inevitable, but they'll adjust. Life goes on.

a lot of the investments are made precisely for the PC crowd. a lot of those guys who have spent money buying villas would be in deep shyte if those guys stopped coming. who would they rent them to? Herb and Martha from a church choir in Butte? it is not as if those guys only spend a hundred on a hooker. they spend a heck of a lot more renting cars, buying food and drinks, and many other outlays.