Personal Protection dog

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For you guys talking about dogs only eating from their owners, try this. Have a neighbor throw a piece of fresh meat over the fence/wall near your dog. Also, make sure the dog doesn't sense the neighbor nor you. See how long that steak will last. :)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
For you guys talking about dogs only eating from their owners, try this. Have a neighbor throw a piece of fresh meat over the fence/wall near your dog. Also, make sure the dog doesn't sense the neighbor nor you. See how long that steak will last. :)

My father had an experience like that

Imagine

summer (europe) 26?c
Nieghbour has butchered a cow
And asked my father at 9 o'clock in the morning, if he could trow the head over the wall into the dog's cage.
My father alowed this
at 8 in the evening my father had done with his work and went to tend the dog.

As you know dogs only transpire with thier tongue and underneeth thier paws.

round the cowshead was a circle where the concrete was dark from the transpiration of the dogs feet. He hadn't touched the head... untill my father said it was ok

Other on

My dogs know my parents and when i'm on leave they tend to them.
the ritual is that they starve for 3 to 4 days befor eating anything?

Greetings

Johan

Feb 15, 2005
If you add hot sauce or bitter apple to laid out meat you may condition the dog to eat only from food in his container which the owner would put out in a certain location of the house or property, preferably in the house. The dog will then understand that any meat left at another location or outside is potentially harmful to him. The intruders would have to get in the house to give the dog the meat which is vis versa.
It's all about conditioning. I had a pit that was conditioned to never enter certain rooms of the house also to never touch unattended food.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Out of town

I did forget about my work situation. I will returning to the USA every 6- 8 weeks to work. I will be staying anywhere from 7-10 days.
I expect that I would need to socialize the dog to the person that will be at my house at that time but I hate to think that it would not eat for that length of time...
I can see that with proper training a dog can be taught alot of things...my only fear is the dog "turning on the family" which is said to be a risk of any aggressive breed...

Unfortunately, I have probably watched every show of a old popular series on TV that was called "WHEN ANIMALS ATTACK..."
Some of those scenes you cannot remove from your brain

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I can see that with proper training a dog can be taught alot of things...my only fear is the dog "turning on the family" which is said to be a risk of any aggressive breed...

[/QUOTE

There are 2 things

a: people have to be taught how to interact with dogs. Especially children
b: as i stated elsewhere on this forum every dog that can't hide behind a sheet of A4 paper has the tools to inflict harm.

Understanding these points will avoid problems

by the way. I only have been put in hospital once by a dog and it was a miniature daxhund (these saucages on legs)

Greetings

Johan

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I will never forget what a dog can do. Almost every accident (not talking about thieves being bitten or training accidents) are from untrained pets.

Reasons
from the human point of vue

oh he's so cuuuuuute

He has never done anything wrong

From the dogs point

Badly bred

Badly socialized

Badly trained

I have seen numerous accidents waiting to happen and am amazed that there are only so few accidents.

On the other hand a well trained Balanced dog is extremely safe

Ever made the comparison at the numbre of household accidents compared with biteaccidents?

In life you can limit the risks but you can never eliminate them

Greetings

Johan

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe I'd better go with a Lab:disappoin

Don't be disappointed. I had an Irish Setter as a boy that I loved more than anything in the world. I hardly trained him and he slept in my bed. He was very friendly so much so that I thought he was a wimp. However, he would also bark when strangers approached the house and I even remember one time taking him out for a walk, we passed by a house that had a very mean, antisocial dog who came out to threaten me. Me, being the good "father", put myself between the other dog and mine instinctively only to have my Irish Setter break loose chase the dog down and tear him a new a$$, literally! (pardon my French). Needless to say, I changed my opinion of him as a wimp. If there is a dog heaven he's there for sure, haha.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
will need dogs

i am coming to leave in Sosua in the next 11 months and i am going to need 2 guards dog (German SH...).
Dogs are for protection first than a friend second. dog has to be kept out side ,not a pet.!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Labs???
The most dangerous breed in existence???
Please elaborate...

Every year insurance companies publish the number of bite incidents where they were implicated. The top 3 is almost always in random order Labrador retriever, Golden retriever or Cocker Spaniel. Which is logic, If you start with the assumption that you're dealing with stable dogs. no one in his right mind would go to a "dangerous" Pitbull but the same person will go without hesitation to the nice, gentle lab. If so the amount of exposition to danger is much greater so the chances of being bitten is much greater. Add to this that most people haven't a clue of how a dog will react and you get a possible dangerous situation. Whereas the "dangerous" pitbull who may be a gentle creature is avoided

Greetings

Johan

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Every year insurance companies publish the number of bite incidents where they were implicated. The top 3 is almost always in random order Labrador retriever, Golden retriever or Cocker Spaniel. Which is logic, If you start with the assumption that you're dealing with stable dogs. no one in his right mind would go to a "dangerous" Pitbull but the same person will go without hesitation to the nice, gentle lab. If so the amount of exposition to danger is much greater so the chances of being bitten is much greater. Add to this that most people haven't a clue of how a dog will react and you get a possible dangerous situation. Whereas the "dangerous" pitbull who may be a gentle creature is avoided

Greetings

Johan

It might seem this is could be the case, but I would expect it is more a case of misunderstanding statistics, ie it is very likely the three breeds mentioned are amoung the most popular by number, wheras pitbulls and the like are much less popular.

If one can get the number of each breed and it's "bite" statistic, this would be helpful, otherwise it's usefullness really isn't.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
It might seem this is could be the case, but I would expect it is more a case of misunderstanding statistics, ie it is very likely the three breeds mentioned are amoung the most popular by number, wheras pitbulls and the like are much less popular.

If one can get the number of each breed and it's "bite" statistic, this would be helpful, otherwise it's usefullness really isn't.

The last statistics i saw, have to admit it was a few years back, were related to the number of dogs registered with the studbooks. So relevant statistics

The most amazing thing was that the "dangerous breeds" didn't appear in the top 10.

A dog bites for a reason.
Hard dogs have a high threshold and they don't mind a little nudging whereas a weaker dog will find it to strong and will bite

When playing with my dog i can hit him really hard and he will think it is part of the game. If i hit a lab that hard he will find it offensive and will do something; flee or fight

Greetings

Johan

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
It Can Be in the Line

Although some races are said to be dangerous dogs, I think it comes down to the individual dog and the line they came from.
I have seen Malinois and German Shephards that were placid and wonderful dogs for children to play with.
However, the other day I heard that the owner of a Malinois /GSD mix had to shoot the dog because he attacked his daughter, bit her in the leg and would not let her go.

We had two dogs fathered by that dog, but we don't have them any more....

mountainfrog

Iamgone09

Apr 15, 2010
I posted this as a question on a different thread and would like assistance perhaps from you dog lovers here:
Quick question to anyone living full time on the island. I am originally from Puerto Rico. Lived the last 23 years in Calif. Semi retired and moving soon to DR. Have 2 American Pitbull Terriers that are sweet as they can be, but rather intimidating looking. Great to keep trouble away from home. Is the breed banned from entering or pocess in DR as they are in PR. Have had to modify my retirement location twice this far due to that fact. Any help will be appreciated.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
as far as I know there is no ban on pitbulls here... I see plenty of them around here... and there is certain proof dogfights are still held here (illegally)...

although I am not a fan of the breed... I still believe the ban should be against the majority of the owners and not the dog...

give me a chihuaha and I will make it a murderer in a week...

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
I moved to the D.R. (Puerto Plata) about 8 months ago. In Canada I spent 20 years as a breeder/trainer for Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers. All my dogs had conformation and obedience titles. I also helped in basic dog training for the R.C.M.P.

I am looking for a well-bred medium-sized, short-coated terrier for a watchdog / companion. Possibly as large as an Airedale. Does anybody know of reputable breeders here with good lines?

Thanks.