Personal Protection dog

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I have a malinois for sale if youre interested
2 years old and from proven NVBK working lines
NVBK is a belgian organisatyion that organizes training and competition for police dogs

Greetings

Johan

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I moved to the D.R. (Puerto Plata) about 8 months ago. In Canada I spent 20 years as a breeder/trainer for Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers. All my dogs had conformation and obedience titles. I also helped in basic dog training for the R.C.M.P.

I am looking for a well-bred medium-sized, short-coated terrier for a watchdog / companion. Possibly as large as an Airedale. Does anybody know of reputable breeders here with good lines?

Thanks.

Yes, but they are few and far between!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Every year insurance companies publish the number of bite incidents where they were implicated. The top 3 is almost always in random order Labrador retriever, Golden retriever or Cocker Spaniel. Which is logic, If you start with the assumption that you're dealing with stable dogs. no one in his right mind would go to a "dangerous" Pitbull but the same person will go without hesitation to the nice, gentle lab. If so the amount of exposition to danger is much greater so the chances of being bitten is much greater. Add to this that most people haven't a clue of how a dog will react and you get a possible dangerous situation. Whereas the "dangerous" pitbull who may be a gentle creature is avoided

Greetings

Johan

I have never heard the insurance company point of view before, however, 2 weeks ago my wife was having a small cancerous mole-type thing removed from her eye.

It was close enough to the the tear duct/etc to call for the work of an ocular surgeon----
Luckily, we were first on the list at morning because he was called for an emergency...... a pit bull had pulled the face off a child.

He told us (as he was preparing to leave for the other hospital) that 75% of his dog bite cases were Pit Bulls
He said " I know what they say about these being nice dogs.... never go near one.... the bite is hard to repair.... they won't let go"

Just one example.... maybe there are better stories ... but I like the doctor's viewpoint.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have never heard the insurance company point of view before, however, 2 weeks ago my wife was having a small cancerous mole-type thing removed from her eye.

It was close enough to the the tear duct/etc to call for the work of an ocular surgeon----
Luckily, we were first on the list at morning because he was called for an emergency...... a pit bull had pulled the face off a child.

He told us (as he was preparing to leave for the other hospital) that 75% of his dog bite cases were Pit Bulls
He said " I know what they say about these being nice dogs.... never go near one.... the bite is hard to repair.... they won't let go"

Just one example.... maybe there are better stories ... but I like the doctor's viewpoint.

Sadly, there are a number of dog breeds which will not 'let go' - they are the ones who particularly need to know who is the "leader of the pack"! Never leave any dog with a small child alone no matter how good its temperament is and that comes from a dog lover....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A Tribute to a Dog

Don't be disappointed. I had an Irish Setter as a boy that I loved more than anything in the world. I hardly trained him and he slept in my bed. He was very friendly so much so that I thought he was a wimp. However, he would also bark when strangers approached the house and I even remember one time taking him out for a walk, we passed by a house that had a very mean, antisocial dog who came out to threaten me. Me, being the good "father", put myself between the other dog and mine instinctively only to have my Irish Setter break loose chase the dog down and tear him a new a$$, literally! (pardon my French). Needless to say, I changed my opinion of him as a wimp. If there is a dog heaven he's there for sure, haha.

I too had an Irish Setter as a boy... same as you... best dog ever... went hunting and brought back rabbits, pheasants and so on... left them at the doorstep to go and get more. Gone for days at a time

His name was Sir Lancelot---- my dog Lance !! I was 5 years old.

Protection (different dog)

In November 2009, we rescued a dog at Playa Grande... appeared to be a Doberman/Rotweiler mix, female, recently pregnant.
She was "abandonada" with her litter.... puppies all died....
she appeared to be a house dog, not capable of fending for herself with the other beach dogs.

She seemed attracted to English, as we spoke, she approached us (my wife, daughter and me) and sat quietly. Then she came forward and mouthed my hand gently.
Now, understand, my daughter is part witch, part animal trainer (serious horse trainer) .... we were smitten BUT , nonetheless, went home.

We returned to feed her a few times over the next few days and finally squeezed her into a kennel, took her home ---- bathed her, fed her, got rid of the mange, blah, blah , blah.... vets, etc
The idea was that she would be a good dog on the property, protection and everything else.

So, for all of this, we saw her about 8-9 days... our care for the cleaning, etc... then we handed her over to the" WatchyMan" - a real dog lover - he took her on and trained her. She now will patrol the fenceline BY HERSELF, on command (handy in the rain)

Anyway, we show up 2 months later in January with our North American dog - the pet, BoBo the Boxer - and guess what?
The "Abandonada" (who has almost doubled in weight to 80lbs) leaves the WatchyMan and sleeps at our door (not inside) while the pet goes to the WatchyMan!! Should we feel betrayed?? Confused, for sure!!

It gets better.... we have a stranger come to help in the garden... the Abandonada is careful, just watches, no problems UNTIL the stranger uses the pick and swings it over his head to smack the ground.

That dog went at him like a rocket and chased him down the garden. Then came back and sat between my wife and me to make sure everybody understood the deal.

The point I am making (laboriously, some would say) is that not all dogs need sophisticated training....... some breeds are instinctively protective.

A German friend of mine recently confided that the German training techniques can be harsh, but they will provide tremendous loyalty and obedience in the long run
One such technique, he said, is to take a puppy to the river... throw it in.... and leave it until almost drowned..... then , they rescue it.
That puppy never leaves that saviour unprotected. Loyal for life.

Harsh, it may sound, I believe that... but I speak from experience...... our rescue dog will rescue us someday before we rescue her again.

Her name is Luca.... my dog Luca....I am 62 years old ....

and do not come on our property for fear of her!!

WW I hope you understand

Last edited:
Reactions: AlterEgo