Phone number for Unit for Noise Pollution ????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, the mere fact that police units for controlling excessive noise do exists, suggests that the country tries to get more civilized. ;)

Even Dominicans have taken to denounce their rude and impertinent neighbours for noise pollution and there were even cases of killings because of a noise dispute.

I accept the love for noise of the local "culture", but there has to be some respect for fellow citizens.

donP

i agree with your take on this, but you have to understand the social dynamics here. one of their own calling the cops is one thing. a foreigner calling the cops on them is a different ballgame.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is a huge problem everywhere including the campos. It is not enforced evenly.
Probably if you can get a meeting with the Departamento Anti-ruidos y Medio Ambienteand give a good bribe the music will be tamed down . There are law governing the volume and hours.

It isn't just a gringo thing as dominicans are bothered sometimes as well

last sunday i was watching some sports on tv, when suddenly i could not hear my set. some guy had parked under my window, and his car stereo was so loud that the windows rattled. he got out of the car to go visit some girl in the next building, leaving the radio running. when i took a closer look, there was a child of maybe 3 years of age on the passenger seat. in the USA, they would probably have charged him with child abuse. in the DR, unbearable noise is a way of life. if you don't believe me, then listen to a radio talk show, with all the panelists yelling on the top of their lungs at the same time.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Planning Ahead

.... some guy had parked under my window, and his car stereo was so loud that the windows rattled. he got out of the car to go visit some girl in the next building, leaving the radio running. when i took a closer look, there was a child of maybe 3 years of age on the passenger seat. in the USA, they would probably have charged him with child abuse. in the DR, unbearable noise is a way of life.

Child abuse?????? :confused:

.... you have to understand the social dynamics here....

He was just training his toddler to adapt to the "culture". ;)

You see, by the time his child is 6, he or she will be almost deaf and no longer be bothered by the "unbearable noise".... :classic:

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Child abuse?????? :confused:

He was just training his toddler to adapt to the "culture". ;)

You see, by the time his child is 6, he or she will be almost deaf and no longer be bothered by the "unbearable noise".... :classic:

donP

yes; numerous studies have shown that excessive noise has both physiological and psychological effects on children, none of them good. subjecting a child to unbearable noise could be construed as being child abuse, no?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes; numerous studies have shown that excessive noise has both physiological and psychological effects on children, none of them good. subjecting a child to unbearable noise could be construed as being child abuse, no?

Not to mention the 3 yr old left alone in car - AND in the front seat, presumably without a carseat. Yeah, I'm a mom & grandmom, these things bother me.

And we wonder why so many Dominicans yell when they talk - their hearing is probably affected from childhood.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not to mention the 3 yr old left alone in car - AND in the front seat, presumably without a carseat. Yeah, I'm a mom & grandmom, these things bother me.

And we wonder why so many Dominicans yell when they talk - their hearing is probably affected from childhood.

if he was in the USA, he would have received a summons for riding a 3 year old on the front seat without any type of restraints. then one for subjecting him to detrimental noises.

and, yes, AE. most people cannot hear, because they have been subjected to unbearable noise from childhood. listen to a Dominican conversation, and it sounds like a fight. we have been over this many times in this forum; the level of noise in the DR is unnatural, and makes people deaf. don't believe me? go to a karaoke event, and listen to Dominicans singing. completely off key. it is not that they do not possess the registers, and the ability to use them. they just cant hear themselves sing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

.... subjecting a child to unbearable noise could be construed as being child abuse, no?

Yes,
but you are talkig about law & order in a civilized country.

And not about:

judge_sleeping_hc.gif

donP

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I guess am lucky to find a decent rental in a good neighborhood. I have neighbors that are not blasting music until 3AM in the morning. The play music until 10-11ish with set of good speakers and it's lights out for all the neighborhood. I guess income has something to do with this. Many of those upper tiers would need to sleep and do actual work, if they want to maintain their lifestyle.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Nice, a gringo moves into "thier" neighborhood and then calls to "po po" on them for doing what they have done since speakers were invented. Way to make yourself welcome. No wonder you left where you came from!!!

I totaly agree with you. when i read the first post i was like . whatttt. you leave your home country and go somewhere else and you want to change it into they way you want it to be. just stay home.!! ppl should adapt to their surroundings.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Love you too Ted, hope you have a splendid day as well...go talk to them.... Calling the cops never makes people like you, if you want to do it here I can't imagine how many times you did it where you are from...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Love you too Ted, hope you have a splendid day as well...go talk to them.... Calling the cops never makes people like you, if you want to do it here I can't imagine how many times you did it where you are from...

i am a caribbean man, and i can tell you that there are very few things that anger people from this part of the world more than other people calling the police on them. that might work in Calgary or Boise, but not so well here.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The other night my neighbor a few houses away was blasting his music at house rattling dicibels until 1 am. The next day he comes over to borrow my car battery charger which I have lent on several occasions. I told him I couldn't because I was trying to catch up on last night sleep. Next time think of your neighbors a$$hole.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I totaly agree with you. when i read the first post i was like . whatttt. you leave your home country and go somewhere else and you want to change it into they way you want it to be. just stay home.!! ppl should adapt to their surroundings.

I know this is a Wild-Wild-Caribbean but they do have law here. Otherwise they won't have office setup and have politico's family or friend sit in the office and collect ridiculous paychecks and handouts from bars and nightclubs.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
I am glad that not everyone thinks the right way to resolve an issue with your neighbor is to go calling johhny law on them. I take the good with the bad and actually enjoy the fact that Johnny law isnt there to solve every problem like in the states where I am from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YgZX9Thm0

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In any country calling the cops on your neighbors is a sure fire way to ensure they will forever hate you. Normal people visit and ask in a nice way first.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In any country calling the cops on your neighbors is a sure fire way to ensure they will forever hate you. Normal people visit and ask in a nice way first.

agreed. however, Dominicans are more patient people, who will just hate you, quietly. other caribbean guys; not so much.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The number I was given a couple of years ago for Santo Domingo was 809 682 3151. I just called to confirm, and the woman scolded me for calling when it wasn't a "sound" emergency. lol

I explained I was just trying to confirm the number was correct for the benefit of our readers here, and she gave me another boche..

She then informed me that one should call the police station in their town for excessive noise complaints, and one will be transferred to the appropriate extension.

That'll teach you to go waking her up during "siesta".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where we live we can hear the music from the beach clearly enough to identify the song and the artist - and we're not beachfront. On the other side of us is a colmado, enough said about that. The worst was the Evangelical Church, near the colmado, I swear they used to compete to see who could make the loudest music, the church often won, the downside being some of their "soloists" were less than professional. They would sing at the top of their lungs, with music, until 1 a.m. some nights.

Finally the junta de vecinos had enough - we don't have police here that we can call. A group confronted the church, and an agreement was made to cut the music early - 10 p.m. I think. I never hear them anymore. The colmado still plays music, but since that time it's bearable, all we need to do is turn on our Lasko stand-up fan, and that is enough noise to cover the music and let us sleep.

We also have a neighbor somewhere behind us, whose wife left him, and he plays the same CDs over and over, on top volume, singing along with them, for hours on end. Definitely aided by Brugal.

Nothing can be done about the beach music, but we've often wondered how the folks living closer can stand it - maybe they're half deaf already?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where we live we can hear the music from the beach clearly enough to identify the song and the artist - and we're not beachfront. On the other side of us is a colmado, enough said about that. The worst was the Evangelical Church, near the colmado, I swear they used to compete to see who could make the loudest music, the church often won, the downside being some of their "soloists" were less than professional. They would sing at the top of their lungs, with music, until 1 a.m. some nights.

Finally the junta de vecinos had enough - we don't have police here that we can call. A group confronted the church, and an agreement was made to cut the music early - 10 p.m. I think. I never hear them anymore. The colmado still plays music, but since that time it's bearable, all we need to do is turn on our Lasko stand-up fan, and that is enough noise to cover the music and let us sleep.

Nothing can be done about the beach music, but we've often wondered how the folks living closer can stand it - maybe they're half dealf already?

funny you mentioned the church. they are the only source of noise where i live.

i always wonder why it is that people have to upbraid others for making excessive noise. don't they realize it? or is it that they just don't give a hoot?

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
JDJones you are an idiot. Im gonna move to your neighborhood, not speak to you about a problem and call the cops about how you and your neighbors park your car, water your grass, let your kids run around, play music, and talk like an idiot in public. Would that make me an idiot like you or would that make me ignorant for moving to an area trying to change how things are.

Go call the cops on me for calling you an idiot. It was way out of line and I should be dealt with accordingly. Possibly, the Domincan govt will write a new law forbidding me to call you an idiot. Hopefully you just dont call them during their siesta or they might agree with me and call you an idiot too.