Pica. Picante.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Because I grow some hot as fire peppers in my mini farm I have come across the word PICA many times from dominicans. I know the definition of both but wonder if PICA is limited (in spanish ) to Dominicans.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Glad to see you pondering life's enigmas John. The Buddha taught we should not preoccupy ourselves with such things.
Picante
Picoso
Pica Pollo
Pica
Pikachu

Btw, do you have a Scoville reference for these peppers? Do you grow them for your own consumption or do you sell

Reactions: Big

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Because I grow some hot as fire peppers in my mini farm I have come across the word PICA many times from dominicans. I know the definition of both but wonder if PICA is limited (in spanish ) to Dominicans.

My suegra found anything remotely spicy (even black pepper) “pica!” Mr AE thinks it’s primarily Dominican.

Reactions: johne

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From the way I've heard Dominican use the words, they're just different parts of speech. "Pica' is usually used as a verb - pica o se pica means it burns, stings, or itches. "Picante" is an adjective used to describe something that is spicy or "hot". Not sure about Pica Pollo(?).

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

The word pica is used in the Spanish-speaking world to refer to spice or food that has some type of hot pepper in it. Therefore, it’s not limited to the Dominican Republic. You go anywhere in the Spanish-speaking world and you will hear pica, picante, comida picante etc.

Comida picante- spicy food
Pica mucho- it has a hot/ peppery taste// it burns a lot
¿Tienes picante? - Do you have hot sauce

Dominicans in general do not like spicy food or add hot peppers. Even black pepper is hot for most Dominicans.

I noticed though many Dominicans outside of the DR for example NY, Miami do add picante to their food like tostones, bacalaítos and other foods which they probably observed from other cultures Latin and Caribbean.

Once you start adding picante or any type of hot pepper it’s hard to eat without it. Everything will taste bland.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Every Spanish-speaking country I've been to uses both "pica" and "picante" depending on the situation. I've heard both used hundreds of times in Miami.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another word with the same stem that I've heard used here is "picado" which means "chopped". Maybe that's why they're called "Pica Pollos". The chicken is in chopped up pieces(?).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The word pica is used in the Spanish-speaking world to refer to spice or food that has some type of hot pepper in it. Therefore, it’s not limited to the Dominican Republic. You go anywhere in the Spanish-speaking world and you will hear pica, picante, comida picante etc.

Comida picante- spicy food
Pica mucho- it has a hot/ peppery taste// it burns a lot
¿Tienes picante? - Do you have hot sauce

Dominicans in general do not like spicy food or add hot peppers. Even black pepper is hot for most Dominicans.

I noticed though many Dominicans outside of the DR for example NY, Miami do add picante to their food like tostones, bacalaítos and other foods which they probably observed from other cultures Latin and Caribbean.

Once you start adding picante or any type of hot pepper it’s hard to eat without it. Everything will taste bland.
Hot sauce is pretty popular here in Jarabacoa.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My suegra found anything remotely spicy (even black pepper) “pica!” Mr AE thinks it’s primarily Dominican.
I asked my Dominican wife: Same kind of answer as Mr. AE... she said that's Dominican word. She actually stopped for a moment when I asked and said "you mean "picante"?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Really Bob? Sheez and here I was thinking hot sauce is popular all around the world. Thanks for checking in from Jarabacoa Bob!
But apparently not in the DR. Lots of people commenting on the blandness of Dominican cuisine and the lack of using hot (spicy) condiments...etc. A lot of bird peppers grow wild here and they are used in a sauce that people used on their quipe and empanadas...etc. Packs a good punch.

Reactions: Lucifer

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I asked my Dominican wife: Same kind of answer as Mr. AE... she said that's Dominican word. She actually stopped for a moment when I asked and said "you mean "picante"?

How is pica just a Dominican word (with the meaning as discussed in the thread) when it’s used all over the Spanish-speaking world with the same meaning?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Glad to see you pondering life's enigmas John. The Buddha taught we should not preoccupy ourselves with such things.
Picante
Picoso
Pica Pollo
Pica
Pikachu

Btw, do you have a Scoville reference for these peppers? Do you grow them for your own consumption or do you sell
lmao, you can go to a cocktail party and ask 30 people what the "Scoville" scale is. One might be able to answer. That is some kahnoledge.