Pictures of Dominican poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I wish there was a button on the internet that I could press, that each time Lieonel in the news, or Pichardo on here speak about the great avanzas such as new shopping malls full of luis vuitton stores, we could bombard them with photos of real life poverty in this country.

Priorities.

I found you the magical internet button it's called 'Add to ignore list'. Didnt you read prior posts Pichardo was offering pictures of Dominican poverty??

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wish there was a button on the internet that I could press, that each time Lieonel in the news, or Pichardo on here speak about the great avanzas such as new shopping malls full of luis vuitton stores, we could bombard them with photos of real life poverty in this country.

Priorities.

The DR is a poor country material wise, but to say most here are poverty stricken is not correct.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Priorities.

Poverty is everywhere in the world, just better disguised in the richer countries.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
disguised as an interesting word, yes poor children in America are equally shoe-less, they're just "disguising their feet" with shoes haha

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
It's not a competition is it? If you think it is, then a) you'd lose the 'competition' and b) you don't get it.

b) I already knew, so we'll just leave it at that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
disguised as an interesting word, yes poor children in America are equally shoe-less, they're just "disguising their feet" with shoes haha

So running around wiothout shoes outside is poverty? I used to do the same. I suppose I am fortunate I never knew how miserable I was.

May 29, 2006
The most telling metric I've seen for estimating poverty in a country is at what age do the kids start wearing shoes. I think it's part of the reason why Dominicans have such an obsession with them as adults.

I think it's crazy what parents spend on sneakers in the US now so the kids can stay trendy. $90-$120 for a pair of shoe they can outgrow in less than four months? It shouldn't cost a dollar a day to have your kid in sneakers.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The most telling metric I've seen for estimating poverty in a country is at what age do the kids start wearing shoes. I think it's part of the reason why Dominicans have such an obsession with them as adults.

I think it's crazy what parents spend on sneakers in the US now so the kids can stay trendy. $90-$120 for a pair of shoe they can outgrow in less than four months? It shouldn't cost a dollar a day to have your kid in sneakers.

The most telling metric for me would be for a foreigner to assume that just because a kid is playing without shoes means he doesn't have any.

In the campo it is normal for poorer people to go barefoot even as young adults and the simple reason is they are trying to preserve the one or two pairs they have. As their feet are tough as nails there really is no issue.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Zapatos hambrientes

So you really don't know? There are plenty of poor kids in AMERICA, EUROPE and ASIA with no shoes to put on their feet at all...

Do you want pictures?

NOOOOOOOOOOO. This is DR1, don't bombard the thread with pictures of other countries, they would be irrelevant to the OP.

I found you the magical internet button it's called 'Add to ignore list'. Didnt you read prior posts Pichardo was offering pictures of Dominican poverty??

There is no need to ignore someone that you don't agree with, when they are not a total idiot or a-hole. Plus, if you ignore them, it takes away from the diverse perspectives and debate. Grown-ups should be able to auto-ignore and self-censor on a forum, and be cordial enough to a fellow human being.

All Dominican kids technically "have" shoes. It might be only one or two pair, a size too small or three too big, hand-me-downs, falling apart, or none that are appropriate enough for them to wear to school. The kids you see begging also have shoes but they hide them nearby or leave them at home for better results.

Here are my friend "Bija"'s "hungry shoes", which gave everyone a good laugh. Last year's school shoes now relegated for playtime:

Vija.jpg

Appeal to posters: As Chirimoya stated, it is unethical to exploit children and disrespect the human dignity of the poor by taking, posting and using pictures for any means, and especially fundraising, without their informed consent. Let's NOT post pics of children's faces or people in situations that demean them, and do not reflect how they would appreciate being represented to others. Poverty is real, so is human dignity. Keep it positive.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
NOOOOOOOOOOO. This is DR1, don't bombard the thread with pictures of other countries, they would be irrelevant to the OP.

Appeal to posters: As Chirimoya stated, it is unethical to exploit children and disrespect the human dignity of the poor by taking, posting and using pictures for any means, and especially fundraising, without their informed consent. Let's NOT post pics of children's faces or people in situations that demean them, and do not reflect how they would appreciate being represented to others. Poverty is real, so is human dignity. Keep it positive.

Couldn't agree more, on both counts.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Why do I need ten pairs of shoes when I only have two feet?

MY COMPANY GAVE ME FOUR PAIRS IN 8 MONTHS.

Next time to DR I'll take some with me!

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'll keep two for work and two for regular dressing... I don't have room for so many shoes in my closet some of them are seating in my garage.

JJ

May 29, 2006
The most telling metric for me would be for a foreigner to assume that just because a kid is playing without shoes means he doesn't have any.

In the campo it is normal for poorer people to go barefoot even as young adults and the simple reason is they are trying to preserve the one or two pairs they have. As their feet are tough as nails there really is no issue.

Right, so if they have at least one pair of shoes for going to church or school, they're middle class? As for it not being an issue, there are several parasites that kids can pick up from going around in no shoes including hookworm, roundworm and schistosomiasis.

Are you implying girl in the photo in front of the casita is just out in her "play clothes?" I very much doubt it, but then, I'm just a naive foreigner who makes crazy assumptions. At least I don't put blinders over my eyes.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Right, so if they have at least one pair of shoes for going to church or school, they're middle class? As for it not being an issue, there are several parasites that kids can pick up from going around in no shoes including hookworm, roundworm and schistosomiasis.

Are you implying girl in the photo in front of the casita is just out in her "play clothes?" I very much doubt it, but then, I'm just a naive foreigner who makes crazy assumptions. At least I don't put blinders over my eyes.

I thought the question was about whether if a child does not have shoes they must be impoverished???

Is it possible they are poor but not middle class nor impoverished? Does everything have to fit in a box for you? :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
This is located across the street from "Hoyo de Lima" in SANTIAGO

Pictures taken February 1st, 2012

The flowing water contains "RAW" sewage
w7y2l2.jpg

Yesterday, there were children in the water
2ccq8gh.jpg

May 29, 2006
Hey, play nice. Where I grew up, this is what my neighbors looked like:

WTF-Bad-Album-Cover-Art-Chicken-Coup-deVille.jpg

When I was about 10, we moved to the city and I needed a speech therapist to lose my Appalachian accent. It still pops out when I get overtired sometimes.

So much for staying on topic, but that's what happens when it's time to play King of the Sandbox..

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CHIP, disclosing that you grew up without shoes pretty much writes the rest of your personal history for us...

Well I suppose that leave no room for doubt for what you think of Dominicans who go around without shoes or nice clothes.

I will say you own lack of shame regarding this matter is impressive, at least quantitatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.