Pictures of Dominican poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Poverty is only relevant to the person in question, not to the person judging. Obviously what some of you consider poverty is not, and it does show the blinkered view some hav on the country and probably life in general.
I wear shoes as little as possible, I walk the dogs barefoot, I go to the Colmado barefoot, when I'm building something I work barefoot. Infact pretty much the only time I wear shoes is when I have to, to comply with modern society. My daughter plays in the street barefoot, and I prefer it this way. Shoes or not is a sign of poverty? haha, incredible.
I see people in poverty, but nothing I would consider serious, I don't see many people starving, no one dying from starvation (unlike the expat lady in Sosua not long ago as friends stood around and forgot about her). Yes kids die of neglect, occasionally, but this is life. I don't think people (even Doms) would consider themselves living in poverty if they had visited some other places in the world, opened their minds, see the big picture. I am not saying people have it easy, I am saying on the big scale of things, DR is not as bad as it could be or is made out to be. In general families always invite others to eat if they have nothing, in general will help their own if they can, a bed, a bit of work, food, even clothes. People help each other out. To me that is not outright poverty, it is shanty living, an entirely different thing altogether. Poverty is when there is no help, as no one has anything to help with, no homes, and no one who cares (elderly woman in sosua again) etc. Dirty clothes and no shoes is shanty, not poverty.
The people in Campo with very little tend to be happier than the general population with issues and attitude. So our opinion of what poverty is is irrelevant. I don't like this obsession we have with trying to make the rest of the world the same as what we feel is correct, who says so, because this is how modern society lives? I tell you, I go to the city and all I hear is how sh1t life is because they don't have enough money, can;t buy nice clothes blah blah blah. Go back to campo and people don't moan all day, they are not as exposed to the society people say is correct (Americanized), they don't see it and are not brain washed by it and so are rarely depressed for the same reasons of those who are exposed.
Before you start I am not saying that poverty does not exist, I know there is an issue in the country, and not something to be taken lightly. But the generalization that everyone from Campo with or without shoes or a flushing toilet etc is unhappy, living a truly pathetic life is simply arrogant and narrow minded. People live quite happily with very little, happier than many with a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Just buy some SAMURAI!

Ummm, everyone, for the most part. It's the culturally accepted standard to wear them, and people take pride in keeping clean shoes.

there are several parasites that kids can pick up from going around in no shoes including hookworm, roundworm and schistosomiasis.

Not to mention tetanus, infections and who knows what else. The floor/sidewalk/street is grimy. I can't imagine what dog's neighbors think of the crazy barefoot gringo. Most Dominicans even SHOWER with flip flops on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Bollox, you need to step out of the fishbowl, another one who believes they set the standards for all, incredible!

Culturally accepted standard, hahaha!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Not to mention tetanus, infections and who knows what else. The floor/sidewalk/street is grimy. I can't imagine what dog's neighbors think of the crazy barefoot gringo. Most Dominicans even SHOWER with flip flops on.

You can get those with or whithout shoes. And there is no sidewalk or roads in campo, it is dirt tracks, earth, dust, rock. Maybe you have something mixed up here..

An the neighbours like me as I do not try to sit above anyone, or judge anyone because they don't have nice clothes or shoes. I think you'll find they more often consider those who try to make dramatic change as the crazy ones, because people often talk alot about how it woud and should be if they could make change, but rarely is it anything other than worlds, as they swan off back to their rd7,000 electric bill and rd38,000 food bills.

Anyway, this isn't about us this is about helping this lady do some good, make some change, so lets not allow the thread to drift, it is not that often someone actually does something, which is excellent of her.
Good luck with this project, your efforts are a great thing.

Last edited:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
This right here had me going like.. wow!

imag0242u.jpg

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Sooooooo....
Yeah, this was like....September... and I do appreciate all of the judgmental comments regarding whether or not I should be using pictures to solicit donations....but its getting old.

Moderator, please close this thread.
I have received pictures, I have done my power point, it has been presented to several churches, we have received money, and the supplies that we purchase with the money will go to benefit the Maternity ward at Cabral y Baez hospital.

I could care less who grew up with shoes and who didn't.
The purpose for my thread was met. Please close.

SHALENA

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I got a blank post, but fortunately I did a copy before then edit the blank post and have it paste.

it worked fine.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.