Plague or epidemic

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in chikungunya the fever last for few days and the joint pain continues for few weeks (or even months). it depends on age, general health and previous injuries (generally the most painful areas would be the ones subjected to earlier problems like broken bones, torn tendons and so on). acetaminophen and hydration will not do any harm but you really need to check with the doctor if symptoms persist.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My wife's entire family either has it, had it or is getting it again. Live in villa altsgrassia. Its Chickungunya for sure. Tu month old nephew Ford from the complications and delayed treatment. The good news is that it is entirely preventable, mosquito repellant used day and night.

My wife's entire family either has it, had it or is getting it again. Live in villa altsgrassia. Its Chickungunya for sure. Tu month old nephew Ford from the complications and delayed treatment. The good news is that it is entirely preventable, mosquito repellant used day and night.

Do most use repellent day and night here? I can't stand the stuff, toxic and gross! I could never imagine wearing it everyday!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
We're not talking about electrolytes by the cupful.

More dangerous than narcotics? Show me a link...

Yes, one poster advised potassium tablets. I absolutely agree that Pedialyte, coconut water, oral rehydration salts, and Gatorade are necessary and beneficial, but must be accompanied by consumption of clean fresh water. Hydration is the key. The reason that sodium and glucose are added to water (pedialyte, rehydration salts) is not necessary to increase those levels, but because of how your body absorbs nutrients in the small intestine.

HYPERkalemia (high potassium) can be caused by dehydration secondary to fever and poor oral intake. In normal healthy adults, your body does a very good job of regulating sodium, potassium, and the other electrolytes. This may not be the case in ill and dehydrated elderly or children. Giving an elderly, dehydrated person potassium tablets can quickly kill them. Potassium is essential to muscle, heart, and nerve function. These electrolytes also have a narrow therapeutic index (lows and highs). Your cells run by exchanging sodium and potassium. An increase in serum potassium levels causes increased excitability of the [heart] cells and left unchecked [by your kidneys in a hydrated healthy adult] will cause a deadly dysrhythmia.

HYPERnatremia, can be caused by dehydration, watery diarrhea, or dehydration with salt intake and no rehydration [the point] is a higher than normal serum sodium level. Water is attracted to sodium, high levels of sodium in the blood will cause fluid to shift out of your [brain] cells and result in shrinkage of cells causing confusion, seizure, coma, and death. One of the differentials is Cholera, Cholera causes watery diarrhea.

HYPOnatremia, which can be caused by diarrhea [not watery] is low serum sodium. Basically too much water. This causes the opposite problem. Because the cells have more sodium than the blood, the water enters the cells and causes brain swelling which causes confusion followed by seizure, coma, and death.

The reason I suggest that this can be more dangerous than narcotics is because people do not think that electrolytes are dangerous. And, the mentality when it comes to medicine in the DR is "If some is good, more must be better right?" Also, a narcotic overdose is easily recognizable and treatable. The signs of a narcotic overdose are low blood pressure and pulse, constricted pupils, and shallow breathing. It is also very simple to treat. An electrolyte imbalance on the other hand is not. The symptoms are not easily or quickly recognizable. Lab tests and someone with a high level of competency in reading the results is required. The treatment requires intensive care and continuous monitoring. You cannot just give someone with low sodium a buncof salt, you will kill them.

If you are a normal healthy person who is not malnourished and well hydrated, taking a potassium pill is a waste of money. You will have expensive urine. If you are ill and have decreased urine function secondary to dehydration and poor oral intake, taking potassium tablets or sodium will kill you.

Drink water, drink water and Gatorade, drink water and Pedyalite, drink water and coconut milk.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I do not like the insect repellants either but it works 100%. The newer repellants are less greasy and more palatable in general. You get Dengue or the Chikungunya one time you will wear the spray. Sosua has very few mosquitoea now for some reason except for the beach areas. Using the spray makes me feel better. When it was just Dengue I took the chance, now its a double whammy.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I had Chikungunya a few weeks ago and it was exactly as most of the information online explains it. It was the WORST joint and muscle pain I have ever had in my life, joined by high fever and rash, all of which lasted for 2 really bad days plus one or two okay days. I actually still have joint pain which comes and goes but can still get really bad at times.. and this was about a month ago. It was pretty awful and in those two worst days, it was REALLY awful. However, it did pass and there wasn't anything I did or needed to do to help it pass. I drank water, gatorade, some popcycles and just reminded myself it would be over soon. Oh, also took basic pain killers such as tylenol. It is really hitting Cabrera hard right now. I know about 4 or 5 people who definitely had it and several more who say/think they had/have it but not sure about those ones.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Good news though is that from what I have read, if you get Chikungunya once, you are then immune!! (Unlike Dengue which I believe you can get multiple times.) Don't tell me if this isn't true because it has kept me feeling smug since suffering through it. ;)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The number of cases and the rapid spread I think would rule out a mosquito borne illness.

75% of La Caleta has is or has been through Chicki right now. It is rife through Santo Domingo and the suburbs, that is a stupid uneducated post.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Do most use repellent day and night here? I can't stand the stuff, toxic and gross! I could never imagine wearing it everyday!

It is gross and smells bad. However I always use it when in the DR. It's better than getting those nasty problems from mosquitos. The lesser of two evils.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Good news though is that from what I have read, if you get Chikungunya once, you are then immune!! (Unlike Dengue which I believe you can get multiple times.) Don't tell me if this isn't true because it has kept me feeling smug since suffering through it. ;)

ok don't read this post Hippo.. What they are saying in Haiti is that folks are indeed getting it twice ..

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
75% of La Caleta has is or has been through Chicki right now. It is rife through Santo Domingo and the suburbs, that is a stupid uneducated post.

"I think would" is not a definitive. The OP did not mention a rash, and clearly mentioned vomiting and diarrhea, two symptoms not associated with Chicky, Dengue, or Malaria. Occum's razor aside, these are not all confirmed cases. Are they even able to test for it in the DR? There are only a few labs in the US that can test for chikungunya.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Homemade Electrolytes Drink:

Most people think of a sweaty athlete drinking a colored sports drink when they hear the word electrolyte. On the contrary, there are many ways to get fresh natural electrolyte replenishment from foods such as oranges, coconuts and honey, plus, save a few dollars by preparing your own sports drink that your body will embrace.
Water

Water is the main ingredient as it will act as the primary carrier of the electrolytes. It must be as clean as possible to work optimally. If you do not have the luxury of a home bottled water dispenser, simply boil water in a tea kettle. Incidentally, distilled water--the captured vapor from boiling water--is the best. It is very close to pure water, having almost all trace elements such as minerals, pollutants and other contaminants, removed. If you want distilled water, it's best to purchase it because collecting the vapor is difficult to do at home. Sometimes you can ask your bottled water carrier if they offer distilled water instead of spring. Tap water should be your last resort.
Salt

Electrolytes are basically salts. Salts keep your body's electrically conductive to maintain cell voltage for receiving or passing along information. Regular table salt works fine as long as it contains sodium chloride, which almost all salts are made of. Some also have potassium iodide, which is also excellent for your cocktail. If you can locate fine grain salt, it dissolves much faster. Using a mortar and pestle on regular salt work just as well.
Citrus

Oranges, grapefruits, tangerine, lemons and limes--try to always have these on hand as they are the best ingredients for electrolyte replenishment. Oranges are a particularly good choice. This is why you may have seen many athletes gorging themselves on juicy slices. Citrus fruits are great, even alone, for electrolytes. However, adding some other ingredients can enhance the effect.
Containers and Recipes

When you make your electrolyte drink, make sure that you're using a container that you like to travel with. If you like your container it will increase the chances that you will indulge in your drink concoction more often.
The Lip Twister - tart and sweet

1/4 cup of lemon juice

1/4 cup of lime juice

1 teaspoon of salt

1 whole squeezed orange (or one frozen can of orange juice)

1 liter of water

Easy Sweet - not too sugary

2 cups of coconut milk

1 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon of Stevia (natural sweetener) or honey

1 liter of water

Mix It Up - use a blender

2 bananas

3 cups of coconut milk or 2 cups of strawberries

1 cup of water and ice

1 teaspoon of salt

Juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Fast and Dirty #1 - bare bones approach

2 lemon halves squeezed into a glass

2 orange halves added

Squirt of honey

Four shakes of salt

Fill the glass with water and gulp down

Fast and Dirty #2

1 bottle or can of V8 vegetable juice (any flavor)

1 cup of water

1 cup of orange juice

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ok don't read this post Hippo.. What they are saying in Haiti is that folks are indeed getting it twice ..

4 types of dengue -- immunity after each one.... but need to suffer all 4 for total immunity.

bad news - after each type, susceptibility increases for the remaining strains -- they say!

Aug 6, 2006
Anything is better than Gatorade: that stuff tastes truly vile.

Only slightly better going down than stuff that comes up.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Its bad here in Santiago (Campo) quite a few of my girl's family are now in the local clinic, her mom fell sick yesterday, nobody knows what going on yet. She just left about an hour ago for the clinic with her brother, hopefully somebody will tell us whats going on...Also, a friend of mine at the cancer hospital in SD, told me his daughter has been in the hospital there for the past week, she does have dengue. There is a major mosquito problem here where I live to boot, seems to be a very ripe area to breed (Campo La Ciengar Santiago)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A number of children from the school have had it or have it, and they live in various parts of the city or campo around Jarabacoa. One of the local pediatricians has two daughter that currently have it and it was confirmed with blood tests. The municipality has fogged the town recently but I think it'll take more than that to get the mosquitos.