Plague or epidemic

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Campo Beliefs

A good part of the population do not believe that mosquitoes are the carrier of the desease:
Dudan sobre vector del virus - listindiario.com

My wife tells me that her family says that there have always been 'rompe huesos' (maybe dengue?) and 'mevoyantesqueverte' (never heard that before :cross-eye )...

donP

Aug 6, 2006
It is entirely possible that there are a variety of variants of this virus, and always have been.
I recall getting a three day illness of some sort in Monticristi in 1983 or thereabouts. I has joint pain, a fever, nausea and a lack of appetite. I went to the hospital and they prescribed some painkiller, which helped. In three days it was gone.

Mosquitos are the most likely way that this is carried if it is a blood borne disease. Popular opinion is just that: opinion. Mosquitoes do not live long: after getting their fill of blood, they lay their eggs and die. They are probably not born with the virus in them, they get it by biting people and animals. It is very important that those who have the disease are protected from getting bitten, because that is how the disease is spread.

Fogging has a very good effect here in Miami. They fog one day, and the next day there are no mosquitoes.

A good part of the population do not believe that mosquitoes are the carrier of the desease:
Dudan sobre vector del virus - listindiario.com

My wife tells me that her family says that there have always been 'rompe huesos' (maybe dengue?) and 'mevoyantesqueverte' (never heard that before :cross-eye )...

donP

Yup our barrio has it and refuse to believe it is Mosquitos! The wife argued for a while about it and gave up.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They "Fogged" "Mi Barrio"last week here in SD.
It was like flying through a cloud on an airplane!
Don't know if it did anything, but it WAS Impressive!
I have a pump sprayer, and have a guy fumigate my yard every month.
Don't know if that kills any mosquitoes but it kills the "Creepy Crawlies",esp. Centipedes, and "TICKS"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Use a lot of "RAID" inside.
Why do my kids have 6 fingers on each hand???

Aug 6, 2006
Why do my kids have 6 fingers on each hand???[/QUOTE]

=========================================
They say that every time you change hands you gain a stroke.
Every 100,000 strokes, you get an extra finger.:D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They can fog until the cows come home - if there is standing water they'll just come back and keep multiplying. They fogged around our neighborhood and the beach several times, and everyone we know there is sick with this.

And that fog can't be good for you.

They started fogging Semana Santa at the beach areas, drove right through our gate, up the driveway and down the rear of our property, puffing smoke all the way. Our caretaker and maid are both sick in bed - not together, they hate each other.

Aug 6, 2006
The mosquitoes are probably not infected by the virus at birth. They most likely acquire it by biting an infected person. I suppose that it is possible that people who have had this can have the virus in their bloodstream and not be affected by the virus once their bodies have developed an immunity to its viral overproduction.

If God is omnipotent, then He never gets tiired, and perhaps he should have just spent Sunday rethinking some of his worst ideas, like mosquitoes along with yellow fever, dengue fever, this chickyunpronounceable virus and the very poor design of human teeth. Elephantiasis was a really bad idea as well.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Just to stir the pot...

WHO: influenza update - According to the latest influenza update , the World Health Organization (WHO) reported low levels of flu activity globally. In North America and Europe, flu transmission remained at inter-seasonal levels in all countries. The number of hospitlisations due to severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) and the proportion of influenza positive SARI samples continued to decline in Europe. The northern African and western and central Asian regions recorded low influenza activity excluding Bahrain which experienced an increase in detection of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and type B viruses. Influenza activity continued to decrease in tropical southern and temperate eastern Asia. Mongolia and most parts of China showed declining flu trends. Activity in Japan and the Republic of Korea reached inter-seasonal levels.
Low levels of flu transmission were detected in the tropical parts of the Americas including the Caribbean. However, Brazil, Dominican Republic and Panama reported few cases of A(H3N2) and type B viruses. The tropical African region reported some activity due to influenza A(H3N2) and A(H1N1)pdm09. A declining trend was seen in most southern Asian countries except in Iran.

Symptoms of influenza include fever, headache, rash, malaise, body aches. Sound familiar? Damn near every disease out there lists nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea as potential symptoms. Damn near every drug lists nausea, vomiting, diarrhea as a potential side affect.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Unhappy to report that I too have what I think is the Chikungunya virus - in early June I woke up one morning and could hardly stand, pain in my ankles, knee's, thighs, elbows, wrists and hands. With hands really swollen...

Located in colonial zone of Santo Domingo, live on 3rd floor with good breezes and hardly ever remember any mosquito bites...... Just out of the blue - no prior symptoms. Might have had a fever but don't recall.
Started taking Naprosyn, 1 tablet every 8 hours...( it's an anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic [fever], analgesic.....worked great as long as i took them, no pain, reduced swelling..
Fast Forward: I'm back in the US.....same symptoms have now re-appeared.....same swelling, same joint and muscle pain....same response to naprosyn. Not been to see a doctor, what would they do? - no treatment for this except the meds mentioned - tylenol, motrin / naprosyn.....to reduce fever, pain and swelling.

The really downside, after doing a bit more research on the CDC website found that the "pain and joint symptoms" can LAST FOR YEARS !!!! god I hope not as this is getting really tiresome....

I think I'm going to go to docs to get a blood / viral load test done - see if this is or is not Chikungunya.

If there is a sudden onset of Chikungunya outbreak in Northern Maryland then I bet I'm patient zero here.....arrived June 15th.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
. . . ." Mosquitos are the most likely way that this is carried if it is a blood borne disease. Popular opinion is just that: opinion. Mosquitoes do not live long: after getting their fill of blood, they lay their eggs and die. They are probably not born with the virus in them, they get it by biting people and animals. It is very important that those who have the disease are protected from getting bitten, because that is how the disease is spread."

that's correct - the mosquitos are not infected at birth. they hatch, go bite someone, devour blood - if the donor has the virus then the mosquito now has the virus...... mosquito moves on to next meal - if the meal does not contain virus it now gets it from the mosquito.... same mosquito (infected with bite nr 1) goes on to next thousand or so meals..... spreads virus with each bite / meal.

Welcome to the world of infectious disease - hope a vaccine can be discovered soon......

Remember the original dig of the Panama Canal? Something like 100,000 workers died of yellow fever (mosquito borne)

Aug 6, 2006
Vaccines against viruses seem to be difficult propositions, due to the tendency of the viruses (virii?) to evolve or morph into something slightly different and therefore less immune to the vaccination. Bacteria can evolve as well, but they are far more complicated and it takes them longer.

Yellow fever is caused by a virus, but malaria is caused by a protozoa. There are effective vaccines against yellow fever, but so far, none have been developed that have been as successful as the Yellow fever vaccine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes the viruses evolve enough to live off the host without presenting any symptoms, unless triggered by other issues. see herpes simplex (cold sores).

E

el_indio

Jesus Christ, I am heading there tomorrow and the family I am staying with has 2 people that may be infected. They've been complaining about pain everywhere and I am wondering if I should go ahead and cancel my trip now...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Jesus Christ, I am heading there tomorrow and the family I am staying with has 2 people that may be infected. They've been complaining about pain everywhere and I am wondering if I should go ahead and cancel my trip now...

take few cans/bottles of repellent and a box of tylenol.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
PAHO Chikungunya Update & Videos

Avian Flu Diary|Michael Coston

image%25255B8%25255D.png

Aedes Albopictus ? Asian Tiger Mosquito

# 8792

Up until about a decade ago, Chikungunya was a rarely seen mosquito-borne virus pretty much limited to central and eastern Africa. All of that changed in 2005 when it jumped to Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where it reportedly infected about 1/3rd of that island?s population (266,000 case out of pop.770,000) in a matter of a few months.

From there, apparently aided and abetted by a recent mutation that allowed it to be carried by the Aedes Albopictus `Asian tiger? mosquito (see A Single Mutation in Chikungunya Virus Affects Vector Specificity and Epidemic Potential), it quickly cut a swath across the Indian ocean and into the Pacific.

image_thumb%25255B3%25255D.png

That is, until about six months ago, when one (or more) infected travelers apparently arrived on the French Part of St. Martins, introducing the virus into the local mosquito population. On December 10th there were 2 confirmed, 4 probable and 20 suspected cases of chikungunya on the island.

A short six months later, and the virus has spread across nearly the entire Caribbean basin, and has infected at least 260,000 people.

image%25255B17%25255D.png

Further expansion into North, South, and Central America seems but a matter of time.

A textbook example of what happens when a emerging infectious disease enters an immunologically naive population under favorable environmental conditions. And the reason why we talk so much about the global spread of disease in this age of globalization and increased international travel (see The Global Reach Of Infectious Disease).

Yesterday?s update from PAHO has already made headlines, as it shows an increase of roughly 93,000 cases over the previous week (a 40% increase), although not all of those cases emerged over the past 7 days.

As you?ll see by the chart below, some countries are still several weeks behind in their reporting, and surveillance and reporting in some regions is `sub-optimal?, so these numbers are still likely a significant undercount.

image%25255B34%25255D.png

image%25255B33%25255D.png

This week the WHO/PAHO Youtube Channel released several short videos showing the effects of the illness. The first one is more of a slide show, but shows the symptoms of the disease. The second video on Clinical Management is in Spanish, but has English sub-titles.

[video=youtube;K2kuwScFIMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2kuwScFIMc[/video]

There are currently at total of five videos in their CHIKUNGUNYA Playlist.

For more on how the State of Florida and the CDC are working to meet the challenges of chikungunya, you may wish to revisit:

Florida Prepares For Chikungunya

Chikungunya Update & CDC Webinar Online

CDC HAN Advisory On Recognizing & Treating Chikungunya Infection

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Many cases in La Romana now. Two of five people in our friends house have it now. Interesting, the daughter seems to be much better after only one day. They sent us some photos of the rash associated with it. I had not been paying that much attention to this symptom. Very severe. I misunderstood the first time they mentioned it - they say 'roncha" which I thought meant swelling. But they mean rash. Ugly. They think everybody in the house will get it now, they think it can be passed from person to person without mosquito bite.