Platanos 30 pesos each??

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dv8 said:
any ideas on the use of other flours they make?

Use them as wheat substitutes in bread, biscuits/cookies, cakes? I've eaten cassava bread - pan de yuca - leavened bread made with yuca flour, not to be confused with casabe. They sell it at Parador Miguelina on the highway near Bonao - it has a very pleasant taste and texture.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Use them as wheat substitutes in bread, biscuits/cookies, cakes?

i bake using spelt and barley flour (cebada). you need to mix them with normal flour due to gluten content being different. not sure how to proportion those alternative flours, they may respond differently. i will check if i can find some nice recipes and report back.

AE, that yuca bread look delish, i will bake this weekend!

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Bought six mid-size verde for 52 pesos in La Sirena today.

They are a dreary vegetable. I survived 66 years never having consumed one, so I could not care less if they disappeared off the shelves and menus forever. I sure there is something else that could be grown which would make better use of the land, nutritionally speaking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LET THEM EAT POTATOES! says minister of agriculture. yes, the solution to high price of platanos is to eat potatoes because they cost 8 pesos per pound (do they?).
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ro-de-agricultura-por-alto-precio-del-platano

interesting comment under the article: Si el precio en campo es de siete pesos y llega al consumidor a veinte pesos entonces la raz?n del alto precio no es la sequ?a, es la especulaci?n y dado esto, ?porqu? el gobierno no resuelve ese problema? Solo tiene que enviar sus camiones al campo y crear en las ciudades lugares de venta, ?no?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
LET THEM EAT POTATOES! says minister of agriculture. yes, the solution to high price of platanos is to eat potatoes because they cost 8 pesos per pound (do they?).
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ro-de-agricultura-por-alto-precio-del-platano

interesting comment under the article: Si el precio en campo es de siete pesos y llega al consumidor a veinte pesos entonces la raz?n del alto precio no es la sequ?a, es la especulaci?n y dado esto, ?porqu? el gobierno no resuelve ese problema? Solo tiene que enviar sus camiones al campo y crear en las ciudades lugares de venta, ?no?

I am looking at a recibo from Super Pola in Bavaro where we bought potatoes recently - 34 peso/per pound. I have always noticed they are not cheap. I think I remember five pound bags there are about four USD. (Super Pola is not cheap..

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Platano verde were 23 pesos/per pound that day. But it was a Tuesday so there was a thirty percent discount.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I am looking at a recibo from Super Pola in Bavaro where we bought potatoes recently - 34 peso/per pound. I have always noticed they are not cheap. I think I remember five pound bags there are about four USD. (Super Pola is not cheap..
I bought potatoes (nice ones) yesterday in La Sirena. 5 pounds for 110 pesos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my maid says that potatoes in her colmado are 18 pesos per pound. looks like the minister of agriculture pulled some marie antoinette there :speechles:speechles:speechles

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Angel "Marie Antoinette" Est?vez, from today's DR1 News:

Let them eat... potatoes?
Minister of Agriculture Angel Estevez is recommending replacing plantains, which are currently being sold for record prices and are in very short supply, with potatoes. He said: "Buy potatoes, which are only RD$8 a pound." Plantains, a daily staple in the DR, are being sold for up to RD$30 a unit, or about RD$60 a pound. He said that the high price of plantains was the result of the drought that has reduced crop yields nationwide. He told Listin Diario reporters: "In the countryside we are buying plantains at RD$7 and RD$8 and in the market they are reaching consumers for RD$20. Plantains from Barahona are RD$17 in the Merca Santo Domingo." He said that some 58,000 tareas of plantains would be harvested over the next two months, which should help lower the price. The Minister concluded by saying that the ministry was working to find solutions to supply plantains to consumers for a reasonable price.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
In Jumbo stores today Platanos maduros 18 pesos per pound ..that is the highest I have seen them in inner SD. They were the smaller variety and were picked at the right time with still a little green on the skin

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That comment makes a lot of sense. Have you ever seen the trucks loaded with Platanos that come from the campos?

There are literally thousands of platanos on every truck. Something is definitely wrong if they're selling for more than double what they cost.

Somebody is stuffing a lot of moolah in their pockets at the expense of the poorer folks. It sounds like farmers want to make the same money as always even when they don't produce as much.

It's just like the truckers who aren't dropping their rates, even though the cost of diesel fuel has dropped substantially.

my buddy and i were saying the same thing this very morning. we went to the mercado in POP, and you had to wade through the mountains of platanos. i am wondering where the shortage is, because it sure is not in POP.

May 29, 2006
The DR had a drought so they'll import.. some other time they'll have a glut to export. The main thing is not to drive the local growers out of what little profit they'll have this year from the drought by undercutting them. Otherwise they might go into another crop. Is there any kind of crop insurance in the DR?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
21 pesos per unit yesterday at Nacional Punta Cana Village. And on "sale" too...

May 29, 2006
There are literally thousands of platanos on every truck. Something is definitely wrong if they're selling for more than double what they cost.

It's perfectly normal to double cost on produce. The giant trucks don't sell to colmados one by one. The stems get broken down and vended off of smaller trucks, who also pay for gas. By the time a hand of platinos gets to a small store, it may have traveled a substantial distance, esp in the cities.

Some of these guys are coming into town with a wheelbarrow then walking miles back to their barrio. They have to feed their families too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's perfectly normal to double cost on produce.

there are too many people looking to make too much on that platano. if producers sell it at 7-8 pesos and the customer pays 20 pesos, how many people are there in the middle, getting their cut? this is a large volume product and profit per one unit does not need to be astronomically high if thousands upon thousands are produced, sold, bought and consumed.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The opinion of my Dominican friends is to let them sit on a shelf and rot. That will bring the price down quick.