Platanos 30 pesos each??

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My 2 bits......

Dominican platanos in "carrefour mini market" in France, last week. 3 € a kilo.

Platanos are rare(er) this year..... draught and winds . Seems legit that the price will raise accordinly.

As to let them rot on shelves comment........ I then feed them to the pigs and chickens :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The opinion of my Dominican friends is to let them sit on a shelf and rot. That will bring the price down quick.

yeah, because there is nothing better than wasting food. something to be so proud of.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
This video may sum up the platano situation:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Vinedominicanooficial/videos/391345427738724/[/video]

May 29, 2006
Ppl may gripe about the price being too high, but if the supply ran out, they'd have tires burning in the streets. What they should be worried about is ppl jacking up the price on staples that haven't been affected by the drought as much. You need rain to make plantains, and the drought had an impact.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
looks like folks are still buying platanos, regardless of the price. so much for "let's stop buying so they lower the price" promises: http://hoy.com.do/platanos-se-venden-pese-a-alto-precio/
This all sounds fishy to me.

My usual guy called with his camioneta today and I could buy as many platanos as I wanted for 5 pesos each. Nice condition though a bit smaller than average.

He is not some naive smallholder unaware of current prices, so I reckon there are enough platanos around somewhere.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at 5 pesos each? smaller than usual? are you sure they were not green bananas or rulos?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
at 5 pesos each? smaller than usual? are you sure they were not green bananas or rulos?
They were not guineo verdes, but I have not got a clue what a "rulo" is. If they look, cook, and taste like platanos then maybe they were rulos.

Or is "rulo" slang for platanos that have "fallen off the back of a lorry"?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rulo is the same family. kinda looks like platano but shorter and thicker.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And rulos are supposedly platanos for gente con asuca...... but maybe its a myth :)

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
rulo is the same family. kinda looks like platano but shorter and thicker.
Could be them. So if they are available and cheaper, why do people not eat them and stop whingeing?

And rulos are supposedly platanos for gente con asuca...... but maybe its a myth :)
Yes, I have sugar, but did not use any to cook them. Should I have?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a. many dominicans do not like rulos.
b. "gente con azucar" mean folks with diabetes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in dr1 news:

Drought is just one reason for high plantain price

Ministry of Agriculture polls now reveal that farmers were selling their plantains for RD$6.47 in August, while supermarkets were selling them for RD$18.57. This means the intermediary spread was 187%.

Plantain farmers in the north-central provinces of Santiago and Espaillat (Moca) say that the main factors behind the high plantain prices include the multiple links in the supply chain that takes the plantains from the grower to the final consumer.

Farmers Juan Rafael Santos and Marcelino Morillo said that the other factor that has led to the very high price of plantains is the prolonged drought affecting the country.

The price of a thousand plantains from the farm can range from RD$5,000 to RD$7,000 with the most expensive being RD$10,000, depending on size. In the public markets, however, wholesalers sell at RD$1,200 per hundred, sometimes as much as RD$1,500.

In corner shops, shopkeepers say they have to sell plantains for between RD$15 and RD$20 each depending on size and type, as some have been irrigated and some not.

In supermarkets, however, customers need to pay between RD$22 and RD$25 each, regardless of size.

To prevent people paying too much for plantains, the government, via the Ministry of Agriculture has decided to authorize their importation as a way of lowering the price.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also in dr1 news:

Stealing plantains from the farms

Plantain producers in Valverde are complaining of plantation robberies. With plantains now costing more than RD$15 per unit in supermarkets, organized bandits are raiding the farms. According to farmers, the bandits are Dominicans and Haitians who arrive at the farms at night in pickups to cut down the produce before it is harvested. Banana Producers Association (Adobano) president Elnio Manuel Duran described the situation as alarming.

One farmer, Larry Reyes said that this was forcing them to use private security services, adding to the cost of the produce.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
A year back one could buy a good branch of green plantains for about 200rd on the roadside in the Cibao. It therefore seems inconceivable that those same farmers will be selling that branch now for close on 1000 pesos and makes me think the middlemen are taking a big cut exploiting the drought at a time when transport costs should have dropped.

Would be interesting to hear of anybody buying a branch at roadside and the cost.

when meat is high switch to chic ken....plantains high ???just stop eating them price wil fall