Playa Palenque is Disappearing

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our favorite beach has been experiencing extreme erosion, they’ve lost 25 meters of beach. 😩

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
25 meters is a lot of erosion.
Sure is. We lived 35 years on a NJ barrier island and from time to time the beach on our corner would experience severe erosion, like 5-8’ cliffs would appear. But the sand usually would come back, or they’d have a replenishment of sand pumped back on.

I’m betting that doesn’t exist in DR. This is so sad.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sure is. We lived 35 years on a NJ barrier island and from time to time the beach on our corner would experience severe erosion, like 5-8’ cliffs would appear. But the sand usually would come back, or they’d have a replenishment of sand pumped back on.

I’m betting that doesn’t exist in DR. This is so sad.
If they weren't already stealing the sand, they'd definitely steal the money sent to replenish it.

When I was young kid living in Jacksonville they would bring out tugboats with big pumps to Jax Beach every ten years to pump sand/ counter the drag caused by the Mayport Naval Station dredging for their deep water ports. It worked. Enjoyed many a summer at that beach with family and friends.

Reactions: AlterEgo

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
What a shame. I have been visiting that beach for 25 years. A very peaceful place and excellent for children. My wife and I used to spend a week at a time at Hotel Playa Palenque before we were married. They actually had a reception for the Vice President there during an election once.
We would spend our days at the Cocolandia section watching the fishermen with their nets. The small restaurants served excellent fresh fish and ice cold beer. The very pleasant vendors would offer sea creature mamajuana and homemade deserts. Never pushy, always pleasant. What a peaceful way spend a day. Midweek it was almost empty.
We visited last April and the erosion was obvious. Slowly taking the beachside tables from the restaurants. There is a condo development that was built there but they seemed to be having problems selling the units.
They have been talking about transplanting sand to save the beach for years but each storm takes it's toll and still no sand. Hopefully the politcos will find a way to save this treasure.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A similar thing has happened in Playa Bonita in Las Terrenas. Yet we have all these people saying climate change isn't happening and won't affect DR.
What makes you think there is any connection to climate change? What are you basing that statement on? Leatherman cites U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that between 80 and 90 percent of the sandy beaches along America’s coastlines have been eroding for decades. In many of these cases, individual beaches may be losing only a few inches per year, but in some cases the problem is much worse. The outer coast of Louisiana, which Leatherman refers to as “the erosion ‘hot spot’ of the U.S.,” is losing some 50 feet of beach every year.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Beach sand migrates in parts of Sosua & Cab when there’s storms. Sandy beach can disappear, and return months later. Maybe happen in palenque?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a shame. I have been visiting that beach for 25 years. A very peaceful place and excellent for children. My wife and I used to spend a week at a time at Hotel Playa Palenque before we were married. They actually had a reception for the Vice President there during an election once.
We would spend our days at the Cocolandia section watching the fishermen with their nets. The small restaurants served excellent fresh fish and ice cold beer. The very pleasant vendors would offer sea creature mamajuana and homemade deserts. Never pushy, always pleasant. What a peaceful way spend a day. Midweek it was almost empty.
We visited last April and the erosion was obvious. Slowly taking the beachside tables from the restaurants. There is a condo development that was built there but they seemed to be having problems selling the units.
They have been talking about transplanting sand to save the beach for years but each storm takes it's toll and still no sand. Hopefully the politcos will find a way to save this treasure.
Some are blaming nearby Punta Catalina. They think the many massive pilings did something to the seabed that changed the flow of the sea. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
What makes you think there is any connection to climate change? What are you basing that statement on? Leatherman cites U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that between 80 and 90 percent of the sandy beaches along America’s coastlines have been eroding for decades. In many of these cases, individual beaches may be losing only a few inches per year, but in some cases the problem is much worse. The outer coast of Louisiana, which Leatherman refers to as “the erosion ‘hot spot’ of the U.S.,” is losing some 50 feet of beach every year.
As I understand it beaches appearing/disappearing is a normal process, one that usually takes decades if not centuries to complete. All beaches named ensenadas were small alcoves that turned into beaches. There's one next to Playa Grande in Rio San Juan, I think it's called playa bonita, but apparently that beach was not there before hurricane george, from that time until now it has formed. Just a normal process that's hard to perceive in a lifetime.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As I understand it beaches appearing/disappearing is a normal process, one that usually takes decades if not centuries to complete. All beaches named ensenadas were small alcoves that turned into beaches. There's one next to Playa Grande in Rio San Juan, I think it's called playa bonita, but apparently that beach was not there before hurricane george, from that time until now it has formed. Just a normal process that's hard to perceive in a lifetime.
Playa Alicia, Sosua... same.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I have heard in Las Terrenas Playa Popy is narrower now whereas parts of Playa Ballenas are wider.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Some are blaming nearby Punta Catalina. They think the many massive pilings did something to the seabed that changed the flow of the sea. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Were this the case, sand should be building around or on the other side of Punta Catalina. Sand usually moves with the long shore current in addition to the onshore, offshore action of the waves.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There's a very popular beach near Aguadilla, PR called Jobos beach that is very similar to Sosua Beach. The beach had eroded to the point there was only about a 6 ft. width of sand in front of the shacks.
Years ago a hurricane came through and the next morning there was close to 100 ft of beach that was also close to 5 ft deeper.

Last edited:

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Correction, new beach next to playa Grande is playa Preciosa, but it will be renamed whatever it is known as by the locals.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Plalenque isn't the only beach on its way out.

Much more famous Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii seem to be going the same way. An article about that was published today.

It seems beaches all over the world are facing the same problem.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I have heard in Las Terrenas Playa Popy is narrower now whereas parts of Playa Ballenas are wider.

Playa Poppy diminished in size after the last hurricane that skimmed the area several years ago. It's so small and narrow in comparison to its glory days

We noticed the beaches in Las Ballenas - where we live -some areas are a bit steeper/have a steeper slope. Very different than before - in some areas