Please wear your helmets folks..

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
and, btw, i think the best and least expensive option is... send someone out to dig a 1 foot wide hole across the road for a "water pipe". then fill it in with nothing more than dirt that washes away. people WILL slow down to cross that trench in the road. it would be at least a year before it was filled properly.

barring that and thinking a little more standard, what i've seen in a few places on the north coast are metal speed bumps - but to the best of my knowledge exclusively around school zones. placing these at both ends of cabarete and perhaps in the center would slow down all vehicles at the more congested areas.

humps.gif

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm all for speedbumps. Someone out to get a petition together and send it to Mama, she might just do something.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I HAVE LIVED across FROM The supermarket for 6 months And never seen OR HEARD an accident .There is a Small school across The street too . I cant Believe there is no light or signs there !!!!!! if you are new and don't watch you are toast in theory, yet 6 months ,hardly a screech !! Pro cab entrance a hundred yards away is a different story!!!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I HAVE LIVED across FROM The supermarket for 6 months And never seen OR HEARD an accident .There is a Small school across The street too . I cant Believe there is no light or signs there !!!!!! if you are new and don't watch you are toast in theory, yet 6 months ,hardly a screech !! Pro cab entrance a hundred yards away is a different story!!!

Luckily you missed the one that happened today, I also had to swerve and ran into the outside curb when a guy pulled out of the parking lot in front of me, that was about a month ago. I don't understand how they don't think a light or speed bump is warranted in that area, but knowing the mayor of Cabarete it's no big suprise..

May 29, 2006
One of my friends in Vermont was riding his bicycle a couple years back when someone threw open their car door in front of him. His bike slammed into the door and he went head over heels over the hood of the car. Broke his helmet in 7 places, but he was fine. When he went to get a new helmet, the bike shop gave him one in trade for the one he just shattered. They hung it up on display over the register. Good advertising...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
and, btw, i think the best and least expensive option is... send someone out to dig a 1 foot wide hole across the road for a "water pipe". then fill it in with nothing more than dirt that washes away. people WILL slow down to cross that trench in the road. it would be at least a year before it was filled properly.

barring that and thinking a little more standard, what i've seen in a few places on the north coast are metal speed bumps - but to the best of my knowledge exclusively around school zones. placing these at both ends of cabarete and perhaps in the center would slow down all vehicles at the more congested areas.

humps.gif

Well this type does not work. They have them leaving NAgua to Samana... and there you still can go full speed because some of them are gone...and strangely enough, the ones that are gone perfectly matches the wheels of a Toyota Corolla.

On the way into Santiago from Moca.... for 1 year or so...The metal lids in the road are gone on several places... death trap for a pasola with small wheels.

People here don't think. Just get used to it and drive carefully.

Last edited:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Lady was killed in front of Janet's supermarket in Cabarete about an hour ago .. wasn't wearing her helmet on her pasola and a jeepeta came thru and smashed her.. This makes 14 accidents in 8 months involving motorists not wearing helmets that I've personally seen here in Cabarete.. The next tourist I see on a motorbike with no helmet on I'm pulling over and smacking directly in the mouth.. folks, don't come on vacation and risk your life this way.

Personally seen 14 accedents in 8 months? You really should go to to beach and surf.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Personally seen 14 accedents in 8 months? You really should go to to beach and surf.

I live and work here fulltime, have children and a family, unfortunately that involves a lot of travel and normal day to day life activities.. I sure wish I could go to the beach and surf all day though :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Its the curve coming from Sabaneta, that together with a pretty wide highway and not narrowing in that curve, is what makes drivers unaware that they are nearing a busy piece of the street.
I have much respect for the parking guard (if he is there) to stand in the middle of the street and waving down cars to make sure you can back out of the parking lot safely.
A speed bump would certainly help together with a warning light before the curve.

Acira

May 20, 2012
The parking in front is so bad that I just did not shop at Janet's until they put in the off street parking lot. And I still am very leery even turning in/out of the road getting to the lot. But that is just the beginning of running the gauntlet that is the main drag through Cabarete. Short of building a second road, don't see how this situation could be improved.
Its the curve coming from Sabaneta, that together with a pretty wide highway and not narrowing in that curve, is what makes drivers unaware that they are nearing a busy piece of the street.
I have much respect for the parking guard (if he is there) to stand in the middle of the street and waving down cars to make sure you can back out of the parking lot safely.
A speed bump would certainly help together with a warning light before the curve.

Acira

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The parking in front is so bad that I just did not shop at Janet's until they put in the off street parking lot. And I still am very leery even turning in/out of the road getting to the lot. But that is just the beginning of running the gauntlet that is the main drag through Cabarete. Short of building a second road, don't see how this situation could be improved.

While taking my kid to school I noticed another reason why that area is so dangerous, there is always a huge truck parked right in front of Janet's, so it further restricts your view when trying to pull out of the side street where their parking lot is.. The solution is either huge speed bumps like in Moca or get some traffic lights in Cabarete and increase the Amet force. For a town that is so tiny in comparison with other cities in the DR, the fatality rates on this highway are staggering.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
While taking my kid to school I noticed another reason why that area is so dangerous, there is always a huge truck parked right solution is either huge speed bumps like in Moca or get some traffic lights in Cabarete and increase the Amet force. For a in front of Janet's, so it further restricts your view when trying to pull out of the side street where their parking lot is.. The town that is so tiny in comparison with other cities in the DR, the fatality rates on this highway are staggering.

Absolutely true -- the biggest problem is the trucks make the road narrower and offer less visibility

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Too Bad, "BUT" what do you expect from drivers here???
"Oh!", EXCEPT for chip, who has NEVER had any problems!!
He doesn't wear a helmet, NOTHING worth protecting!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The solution is... increase the Amet force.

In all seriousness, this would serve little if any positive influence. When Amet is in Cabarete they stand in the same place for a few hours, chitchatting, and occasionally (seemingly randomly) instructing people to stop. For the most part harass people who are doing nothing wrong. If they were actually mobile, perhaps they could see someone doing something wrong. As it is, you just need to drive past where they're standing reasonably, not be on the phone, and have your seat belt on 50 feet either side of them. Otherwise you're free to drive as a bat out of hades.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
In all seriousness, this would serve little if any positive influence. When Amet is in Cabarete they stand in the same place for a few hours, chitchatting, and occasionally (seemingly randomly) instructing people to stop. For the most part harass people who are doing nothing wrong. If they were actually mobile, perhaps they could see someone doing something wrong. As it is, you just need to drive past where they're standing reasonably, not be on the phone, and have your seat belt on 50 feet either side of them. Otherwise you're free to drive as a bat out of hades.

I totally understand where you're coming from, what I meant was if they put a light there they could have amet manage the traffic light.. but yea, amet is really crap on the north coast..

ahh.. good job paraphrasing me, you should work for CNN.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
According to my Daughter who was an ICU nurse for years. All Moto riders and passengers should wear a helmet, as that gives the paramedics some place to put the scrapings. When I mentioned buying a moto down here, she opined that her shotgun would be quicker and not hurt as much. :p

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
You don't need any police involved , there useless as tits on a Maragarita , two or three speed bumps would dramatically help , just like the beach a serious permanent sign just past Janet's on the ocean to warn people the there is a piece of the beach there that has seriously dangerous tidal suction !!! ... Well maybe ti.s on a margarita could be useful.....A SIGN TOO SUGGESTING A SCHOOL CHILDREN'S CROSSING ??????????????

Last edited:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
So tragic!! and in all likelihood may have been preventable. My thoughts are with the family she has left behind. RIP