Police Action In Sosua, Cabarete, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Money is money regardless of how it's earned, and the DR can ill-afford to cast this segment of the tourist population out. There is no Plan B to replace these tourist dollars, meager as some may think this amount is.
In your opinion, what % of the Sosua economy is based on sex tourism and how would you arrive at that number?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know why. Only time will tell. So far no one knows what's going on in Sosua and more importantly, why and even more important than either is what the end game is.

No one even seems to know who is ordering these crackdowns. Is it the military? The mayor? The President?

Is there no one associated with DR1 that could contact the mayor and find out what is the agenda and who is pushing it?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Help

After many years it's indeed gratifying to see action being taken to discourage and hopefully stamp out this sex tourism that does very little for the local enonomy except discourage legitimate tourism ie: families, attracts crime and all the unsavory aspects that go with it (drugs, seedy bars, trashy people). These pathetic degenerates who are seemingly unable to obtain female companionship without exploiting poor, ignorant girls from the campo are clearly a blight on the landscape and should slither back into whatever hole the crawled into. Many of us who continue to reside here well remember the prosperous, safe, fun days before this plague of low life's descended upon us.

Safe and clean is good!
I hope you are out there helping the "poor and ignorant from the campo" to better their lives!!!
Your mere presence as an ex-pat taking advantage of living there, and your foreign exchange rate will not help the poor!:mad::mad::mad:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is there no one associated with DR1 that could contact the mayor and find out what is the agenda and who is pushing it?

The Mayor might not even know who is behind this push. One thing for sure is that she does not have the power to do this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Mayor might not even know who is behind this push. One thing for sure is that she does not have the power to do this.

No one can argue as you suggest that bizarre things happen in the DR where the "right hand does not know what the left hand is doing". My main reason for asking was to see if anyone connected with DR1 has the proper connections to find out more about the real agenda and help to ease the speculation. Knowledge is power while rumors spread misinformation.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
The good old days must go back quite some time ... here's a book written in 2004, which "looks back" over YEARS of this type of activity. I really have to wonder how many actually knew what was going on BEFORE they moved here.

Amazon.com: What's Love Got to Do with It?: Transnational Desires and Sex Tourism in the Dominican Republic (Latin America Otherwise) (9780822332978): Denise Brennan: Books

It seems to have been around for a while, and I doubt that it will really go anywhere soon. The only thing that might change is WHO has access to it, and WHERE that access occurs .... (my opinion only).

:cool:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sky, I think he means aprox. 25 years ago. I base that assumption on that I was in Sosua back in 1993 and I had plenty of whores at that time in fact more than I had just 1 month ago.

What I do wonder is; what is campo in English? I mean it is English - is it not? "Pues", the rest of the post is in English so I assume campo is a English word but I can't find it in The consise Oxford dictionary.

Oh! I understand.... I am one of "These pathetic degenerates who are seemingly unable to obtain female companionship without exploiting poor, ignorant girls from the campo" .... I see, I am one of these cheesy old men who goes to undeveloped countries to shag poor girls and he/she just threw a Spanish "palabra" into the post.

Pues, sr./sra. residente dejar hacer el populaci?n local hablar si somos asquerosos y unos abusadores de chicas. Por favor abstenerse de comentarios est?pidos como este ya que Vosotros seguramente compraba su inmueble sabiendo perfectamente que iba ser Sosua ahora, que era en su d?a. Si no lo supieron eso es porque no hab?an hecho su pre-investigaci?n antes de comprase su inmueble e en tal caso asi "duermen como han hecho su cama".
Por cierto tratar hablar el castellano en vez echarse unas palabras por ah? en un texto. Muestra que verdaderamente sois asimilados en el sociedad Dominicano.

De ante mano/Before hand

Cierra el pico/shut your face

Eldanes

Eldanes, you are new to this web site so perhaps you do not know that while it is about the DR, the site is in English so please don't post in the normal forums in Spanish. There are sub-forums where Spanish can be used, but English should be used in this sub-forum.

Now, is there anyone with the proper connections to find out what is really happening?
Is it just a coincidence that the government is considering red light districts in Santo Domingo?

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
Windeguy, I appreciate I do not have a staggering number of posts on this forum however, that does not mean I have not followed the writings on the forum and know the language that's being used.

What I do realise is that my sarcasm did not spring it to your eyes. If you write on an English speaking forum why the f... add the odd Spanish word in the ones comments like many many posters do. Is it because they want to show off their spanish skills?

Anyways, I agree; use English or in case you write in Spanish, and as you kindly pointed out, use the Spanish forum elsewhere.

That a side I guess I have more knowledge about Latin America than most of the posters here.

I have been to DR 12 times on and off since 1993, I have been to Brazil 4 times, been to Equador 3 times, been Mexico 3 times, been to Venezuela 2 times and Colombia 25 times since 1995.
In fact I made friends with a Dominican lady in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1989 and if you know that The Dominican Republic in the world’s number 3 "producer" of prostitutes it makes perfectly sense that she at that point had been in that business all over Europe for 3? years.

Prostitution in DR is not a new thing; it has been there for decades and probably before the Yanks came down there to annex the Samana province.

But many thanks for taking the time to educating me despite you are not the moderator on the board.

Thanks,
el danes

Last edited:

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
In your opinion, what % of the Sosua economy is based on sex tourism and how would you arrive at that number?

65%; a guess based on the number of people on Pedro Clisante at 2300 on any given Friday night versus the number of people elsewhere in El Batey.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I certainly wish that instead of prostitution paying the bills, that more interesting and enhancing tourist attractions could be implemented i.e. horse-drawn carriage rides throughout Sosua for the families and romantics. These types of jobs are far more complentary for all not just guys looking for a good time! Local restaurant tours, tours of local crafts-people and their goods, historical sites, etc. that appeal to more people and a less adversarial atmosphere. There are more people in this world than just guys who aren't acting on their brain power. C'mon think outside the usual box!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I certainly wish that instead of prostitution paying the bills, that more interesting and enhancing tourist attractions could be implemented i.e. horse-drawn carriage rides throughout Sosua for the families and romantics. These types of jobs are far more complentary for all not just guys looking for a good time! Local restaurant tours, tours of local crafts-people and their goods, historical sites, etc. that appeal to more people and a less adversarial atmosphere. There are more people in this world than just guys who aren't acting on their brain power. C'mon think outside the usual box!!

I think we should hook up a carriage to Fat Herman and let him give tourists a romantic ride through Sosua.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
65%; a guess based on the number of people on Pedro Clisante at 2300 on any given Friday night versus the number of people elsewhere in El Batey.

I would have to disagree with that number. You're looking at one section of a street at one point in time during a day. That's going to be a lopsided cross section.

I've made about 28 - 30 trips down over the last 6+ years, flying into pop for most trips. And I can tell you that by looking at the other passengers on the plane that it isn't 65% guys lookin' for love. It's more like 10 or 15%.

My method is not real scientific either, but those plane loads are a bit more representative of why people are coming to the North Coast. When sitting on a plane you can assume that two guys traveling together giggling and talking about chicas are coming down for one thing, and an older couple in their 60's are coming down for something else.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I would have to disagree with that number. You're looking at one section of a street at one point in time during a day. That's going to be a lopsided cross section.

I've made about 28 - 30 trips down over the last 6+ years, flying into pop for most trips. And I can tell you that by looking at the other passengers on the plane that it isn't 65% guys lookin' for love. It's more like 10 or 15%.

My method is not real scientific either, but those plane loads are a bit more representative of why people are coming to the North Coast. When sitting on a plane you can assume that two guys traveling together giggling and talking about chicas are coming down for one thing, and an older couple in their 60's are coming down for something else.

My guesstimate was not for Puerto Plata or the others on the airplanes, just for Sosua, the hotels, restaurants, taxis, etc. that are fueled/funded by the mass of people there for the chicas. Not scientific, just based on my eyes during 15 years of Sosua. I visualize El Batey as a ghost town without the chicas. IMHO.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Under all the bs and pondering lies the constant failing of the police. They surely are the underbelly behind the real failings. Over the years they have become more and more ruthless and criminalised, blatently.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Here's the thing. I could fill a complete page with the names of locations which have these attractions. The Dominican Republic is not the only island in the sea, nor is it the most beautiful, colorful, etcetera. There are too many Caribbean destinations where everyone speaks English, you can draw U$D out of ATM's and spend them anywhere on the island without getting ripped off in a currency conversion.

There are Caribbean destinations where you can stumble down the road as drunk as O'Shea on St. Patty's Day at 3 in the morning with $20 bills hanging out of your shirt pocket and there is almost no chance at all that you will be robbed. These are places where you don't have to study up on where "to go" and where "not to go" because you are safe pretty much anywhere. There are Caribbean destinations where not only will the police not rob or beg from you, offering one a bribe will get you jailed and beaten.

Once you've been to Santo Domingo's "Colonial Zone", you've pretty much seen all the history that most tourists give a damn about. People come to the Dominican Republic because it's close (2-2.5 hrs. less air time than Aruba or T&T), cheap (similar accomodations cost 2x-3x in St. Lucia or St. Martin) and it's fun because every day one sees things that they would probably not see at any other destination (cock fights, family of 4 on the back of a moto, fireworks display every time it rains on the ball of wires on the utility poles, etc.). Add to all this the unique beauty of Dominican people and the ease of their sexuality and access to the owners thereof and you have the unique set of qualities which distinguishes the Dominican Republic from competing Caribbean destinations.

So while some may "wish" that the D.R. would turn into just another island, it won't happen, primarily because you'd first need to change the entire culture of an entire people to pull it off but most importantly because there would be no profit in doing so. When the Dominicans stop patronizing the casas, MP's and cabanas then it will be okay for people to complain about "sex tourism".

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
My guesstimate was not for Puerto Plata or the others on the airplanes, just for Sosua, the hotels, restaurants, taxis, etc. that are fueled/funded by the mass of people there for the chicas. Not scientific, just based on my eyes during 15 years of Sosua. I visualize El Batey as a ghost town without the chicas. IMHO.

You missed my point. If the gringos on PC at midnight chasing chicas represent 65% of all tourists coming to Sosua, then you would see roughly that same percentage on flights coming into POP or STI.

Cause that's the main way to arrive on the island, is by plane, right? But you don't see anywhere near those numbers.

And yes, it will hurt businesses that cater to that type of tourist but it's not going to make Sosua a ghost town. And they will adapt. Do you really think a place like the New Garden will have a hard time adapting to blue-haired couples in their 60's?

Aug 21, 2007
Has anyone noticed all the new gated communities with higher end homes that have been built recently? Over the past few years- and before- many individuals have invested more financially in Sosua than those who make several weekend trips a year for nighttime entertainment.

Those of you who believe that Sosua will be dead without prostitution perhaps do not understand that all the weeks and months you are not in town, we local ex-pats are. We shop for groceries every week. When the tourists are not in town to patronize restaurants, we do. When there is a charity event, we attend and contribute. When there are beach clean-ups, we participate. We buy gas for our cars. We support the electricians, plumbers, and construction workers. We hire maids and gardeners. We learn to speak the language and participate in the culture. And, I would guess, most of us do not take part in the night time activities on Pedro Clisante.

While I do agree that the late night clubs, motor concho drivers and food vendors who profit from the tourists may suffer without gentlemanly tourism, do realize that the ongoing support of the town's basic needs are being provided not by those tourists, but by the individuals who have invested hard earned dollars, or Euros, or pesos, or British pounds, or whatever currency into the town of Sosua by purchasing land and property.

If prostitution should disappear or decrease substantially, you, who enjoy that activity, may disappear. But we will still be there to support the town and all the wholesome activities and the diverse community members it has to offer.

Lindsey

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Has anyone noticed all the new gated communities with higher end homes that have been built recently? Over the past few years- and before- many individuals have invested more financially in Sosua than those who make several weekend trips a year for nighttime entertainment.

Those of you who believe that Sosua will be dead without prostitution perhaps do not understand that all the weeks and months you are not in town, we local ex-pats are. We shop for groceries every week. When the tourists are not in town to patronize restaurants, we do. When there is a charity event, we attend and contribute. When there are beach clean-ups, we participate. We buy gas for our cars. We support the electricians, plumbers, and construction workers. We hire maids and gardeners. We learn to speak the language and participate in the culture. And, I would guess, most of us do not take part in the night time activities on Pedro Clisante.

While I do agree that the late night clubs, motor concho drivers and food vendors who profit from the tourists may suffer without gentlemanly tourism, do realize that the ongoing support of the town's basic needs are being provided not by those tourists, but by the individuals who have invested hard earned dollars, or Euros, or pesos, or British pounds, or whatever currency into the town of Sosua by purchasing land and property.

If prostitution should disappear or decrease substantially, you, who enjoy that activity, may disappear. But we will still be there to support the town and all the wholesome activities and the diverse community members it has to offer.

Lindsey

Sorry but you don't understand the people who would be impacted in the event Pedro Clisante shut down because you are not one of them. Those of you behind the gates will not be impacted at all. But every household in Los Charamicsos, Sosua Abajo, Bella Vista, La Union, Los Castillos, Maranatha, etc. will see their livelihood go down the tubes. Too many give their high falutin opinion who don't even know the life of the workers who get paid serving the tourist trade. Try living on 8,000 RD per month or less, try to raise children the right way and educate them on that money. The people who work in El Batey are trying to give their children a wholesome upbringing, one which you have no clue, are you going to pay them, feed them? No of course not. You in the gated homes do NOT give the locals their living, it is the mass of tourists who come to Sosua to get laid, period. The towns basic needs are rice, milk, food and education for all the children of the tourist workers, you are not meeting that need.

Status
Not open for further replies.