Police Action In Sosua, Cabarete, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You missed my point. If the gringos on PC at midnight chasing chicas represent 65% of all tourists coming to Sosua, then you would see roughly that same percentage on flights coming into POP or STI.

Cause that's the main way to arrive on the island, is by plane, right? But you don't see anywhere near those numbers.

And yes, it will hurt businesses that cater to that type of tourist but it's not going to make Sosua a ghost town. And they will adapt. Do you really think a place like the New Garden will have a hard time adapting to blue-haired couples in their 60's?

Yes, ctrob, yes. They would close before a transformation ever took place.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A question-how many blocks exactly are we talking about that have such a profound effect on the economy of Sosua?

Is it more than the 3 or 4 that run along Pedro Clisante? How could the potential shutdown of such a tiny allocation of bars/clubs/discos ruin a whole town if the pay-for-play scene is eliminated?

If one lives in Sosua, is it not possible to go about one's daily life without having to travail this particular snake pit? Or is it the very idea that the place exists that annoys people?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
A question-how many blocks exactly are we talking about that have such a profound effect on the economy of Sosua?

Is it more than the 3 or 4 that run along Pedro Clisante? How could the potential shutdown of such a tiny allocation of bars/clubs/discos ruin a whole town if the pay-for-play scene is eliminated?

If one lives in Sosua, is it not possible to go about one's daily life without having to travail this particular snake pit? Or is it the very idea that the place exists that annoys people?

Sure you can and many do and are not living in a gated community either.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
There are no better opportunities anywhere in the Caribbean or Central/South America for guys who don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, not for the prices and accommodations on offer in the DR. Any other location will require too much time and money.

Brazil and/or Argentina? Too far. The airfare alone will kill you, even during off-peak months. That's aside from the fact that spending so much time on an airplane would be enough to drive anyone insane. Colombia? It's reputation from 20 years ago still resonates among the ignorant.

It's too easy to fall into a rut in Sosua, which is why guys love going there. You don't need to learn the language and the chicas are just as lazy as some of the mongers. You don't have to walk far for any one thing (including the beach) and many bar/restaurant owners speak English.

These guys are going to have a hard time going anywhere else if they are forced to leave, but there will be other destinations that will make mongers feel welcome before they are given the bum's rush completely off the island.

Money is money regardless of how it's earned, and the DR can ill-afford to cast this segment of the tourist population out. There is no Plan B to replace these tourist dollars, meager as some may think this amount is.

I agree with Berzin.
A large segment of the market already is going to the AI's and condos in Punta Cana and Uvero Alto which have superior beaches and services.
Those who like it cozier choose Las Terrenas and the tropical hideaway beaches.
Certainly in the previous years the girls in Sosua have been an attraction for a large segment in this specific market. The AI's in Playa Dorada are not thriving. The ex-pat retiree market alone cannot sustain Sosua. Cabarete has nicer and newer properties to offer.
The global recession is far from over. Europeans and North Americans have fewer disposable tourist Dollars.
South American tourism in the DR is growing but will not pick up the slack created.
The girls in Sosua have seldom been the problem.
Corruption, organized crime, drug dealers, moto conchos assaulting and robbing tourists at night are the real problem.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Aaaaayyyyyyy aaaaayyyyy ay que pena

After many years it's indeed gratifying to see action being taken to discourage and hopefully stamp out this sex tourism that does very little for the local enonomy except discourage legitimate tourism ie: families, attracts crime and all the unsavory aspects that go with it (drugs, seedy bars, trashy people). These pathetic degenerates who are seemingly unable to obtain female companionship without exploiting poor, ignorant girls from the campo are clearly a blight on the landscape and should slither back into whatever hole the crawled into. Many of us who continue to reside here well remember the prosperous, safe, fun days before this plague of low life's descended upon us.

SENIOR CITIZENS2

Obviamente eso es escrito de una de las pobres y ignorantes chicas del campo.
Espero que usted entiende todo.
JEJEJE
Besos de Lobo:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

#61 de eldanes:
Pues, sr./sra. residente dejar hacer el populaci?n local hablar si somos asquerosos y unos abusadores de chicas. Por favor abstenerse de comentarios est?pidos como este ya que Vosotros seguramente compraba su inmueble sabiendo perfectamente que iba ser Sosua ahora, que era en su d?a. Si no lo supieron eso es porque no hab?an hecho su pre-investigaci?n antes de comprase su inmueble e en tal caso asi "duermen como han hecho su cama".
Por cierto tratar hablar el castellano en vez echarse unas palabras por ah? en un texto. Muestra que verdaderamente sois asimilados en el sociedad Dominicano.

De ante mano/Before hand

Cierra el pico/shut your face

Eldanes

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Sorry but you don't understand the people who would be impacted in the event Pedro Clisante shut down because you are not one of them. Those of you behind the gates will not be impacted at all. But every household in Los Charamicsos, Sosua Abajo, Bella Vista, La Union, Los Castillos, Maranatha, etc. will see their livelihood go down the tubes. Too many give their high falutin opinion who don't even know the life of the workers who get paid serving the tourist trade. Try living on 8,000 RD per month or less, try to raise children the right way and educate them on that money. The people who work in El Batey are trying to give their children a wholesome upbringing, one which you have no clue, are you going to pay them, feed them? No of course not. You in the gated homes do NOT give the locals their living, it is the mass of tourists who come to Sosua to get laid, period. The towns basic needs are rice, milk, food and education for all the children of the tourist workers, you are not meeting that need.

You are relatively new and perhaps the huge foot you just put into your mouth can be overlooked for that reason.

Attacking Lindsey by saying that she stays in a gated community and does nothing to help or provide for the poor of the area is just plain ludicrous. She is someone who does a great deal of charity work, and I know that she does, in fact, help to feed the hungry.

An apology is in order!

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
do realize that the ongoing support of the town's basic needs are being provided not by those tourists, but by the individuals who have invested hard earned dollars, or Euros, or pesos, or British pounds, or whatever currency into the town of Sosua by purchasing land and property.
But we will still be there to support the town and all the wholesome activities and the diverse community members it has to offer.
Lindsey

Purchasing land and building a house only helps the community if it adds to the tax base. What property taxes are you paying to the city? What taxes are you paying on your income? How much do you ex-pats pay your maid, gardener, etc.

You say that the generous ex-pats provide for the basic needs of the community. If you believe that is the case, then I say you are doing a poor job of providing anything for the community in general.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Eldanes, you are new to this web site so perhaps you do not know that while it is about the DR, the site is in English so please don't post in the normal forums in Spanish. There are sub-forums where Spanish can be used, but English should be used in this sub-forum.

Now, is there anyone with the proper connections to find out what is really happening?
Is it just a coincidence that the government is considering red light districts in Santo Domingo?

Thank you for the lecture Prof Windyguy.
Afraid to stretch your mind??????
If you live or vacation in the DR you should bloody well learn spanish and have an interest!!
If it's too much of an assault on YOUR English site just skip over it.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Originally by Superfly;
Forgive my ignorance...what does ISOC mean?
International Society of Cartographers...:eek:
Berzin it was a genuine question. The :eek: is ok but you never answered the question.
ISOC in this context is an acronym for "In Search Of Chicas" (all over the world).
Moderators should not suppress the facts IMO.
Mack.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Mack-for the record, I was just having a little fun. And as a historical aside, some of these cats actually printed up t-shirts with the "cartographers" acronym and posed for a photo years ago in Sosua.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Back to the subject at hand-I think we are witnessing the age-old battle between people who pine for the good old days, which tend to be romanticized out of proportion, to what is transpiring right now. The German, Italian and British mongers of yesteryear we are supposed to assume were total gentlemen. The new age hip-hop crowd make people nervous, and attribute all manner of shenanigans to them that are either overblown or downright facetious.

Bottom line is no one really knows that whats and the whys to these latest raids, and what the short or long-term future will hold for Sosua, a town that never was a family-oriented vacation spot to begin with.

Harkening back to the days of yore is an exercise in futility, especially in light of the realities of the sex trade before Sosua became an international pit stop for mongers. Some of it is right here in this book, which was mentioned in a previous post-

4g4vq1.jpg

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Mack-for the record, I was just having a little fun. And as a historical aside, some of these cats actually printed up t-shirts with the "cartographers" acronym and posed for a photo years ago in Sosua.
Berzin, I knew you were having a poke, but Superfly would've missed it :)
Mack.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i agree 100% with berzin. let me just add that the chicas have now gone from "quality" to "quantity". anything with two legs and a (censored) think that they can now walk PC. and the young guys only want notches in their belt. has anyone else besides me noticed the quality is in the toilet now ?
i would be glad if there were some police action on the foreign fools that now visit sosua.......

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
If you live or vacation in the DR you should bloody well learn spanish and have an interest!!

If that's so, then shouldn't anyone viisiting DR1 follow the rules there, and use English?

i agree 100% with berzin. let me just add that the chicas have now gone from "quality" to "quantity". anything with two legs and a (censored) think that they can now walk PC. and the young guys only want notches in their belt. has anyone else besides me noticed the quality is in the toilet now ?
i would be glad if there were some police action on the foreign fools that now visit sosua.......

****ing EEO!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Just keep it in english so everyone can read it, you are seriously limiting your viewers by writing in spanish. I like to holiday in norway regularly but I can't speak the lingo, would be sad if I couldn't go skiing coz I can't speak the lingo.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The businesses that will be hurt are the ones that cater to the monger crowd. There are plenty that don't.

Berzin described an "issue" that perhaps the local authorities aren't too fond of: the transition of the monger crowd from fairly quiet Euros/NA's to the more in-your-face hip-hop crowd. As long as the sex tourism was relatively quiet, no problema; folks knew it was there but it was a little more laid back. But when the crowd changed Sosua changed (or so I'm told by folks with businesses there.) And as the crowd changed I also understand the mix of girls changed: once upon a time, as documented here in monger posts, "regular" girls from the campo and Santiago would travel to the area for weekends to "work." Now, I'm told, fewer of them travel to the area, there has been much more conflict with the Haitian girls and their handlers, more drugs are in the area and the overall level of safety has dropped like a rock. Bad things happening are more common.

I wonder if the intent isn't as much getting rid of sex tourism altogether, but changing the crowd mix. Recently there was a loud cry of protests about the same basic issue in Miami Beach.

When I traveled to the North Coast in the mid 80's, Sosua was entirely different, very quiet, almost quaint and very, very safe. Yes, the chicas were there, and even then they weren't so in-your-face quid-pro-quo. Heck, we used to go to clubs deep into Charimicos, gringos alone, at night until closing and NEVER felt the least bit unsafe. They were more like regular girls.

When I started coming back in '04 flying my plane with a few guys into POP, Sosua was still semi-OK, but the entire scene was MUCH more aggressive. A few days there and I'd had enough. What started out as somewhat of a pleasant happening-aggressive girls-became a supreme annoyance. At night what was supposed to be a fun night of drinking and dancing would turn into serious drama between competing girls right down to violence. And when the new group of guys started rolling into town with their "I'm a Bad A$$ Pimp Daddy" attitudes (around '06 or so)....well, I could see the times were a-changing and the town, IMO, became a lot more coarse. Folks I know who have lived there for a long time have told me they don't go into El Batey as much as theu used to years ago because it's not "the same." I interpret that to mean it's gone downhill.

Many would say it was '06-'07 when Sosua started to die.

I stopped staying in Sosua altogether when flying in or out, and began staying in POP near Playa Dorado.

I doubt I'm the only one.

No, I doubt Sosua will ever become Salt Lake City with a Caribbean beach. But maybe going back 10 years or so would be an improvement.

FTR: these aren't personal beliefs, just observation.

Is Bavaro now the new Sosua?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You missed my point. If the gringos on PC at midnight chasing chicas represent 65% of all tourists coming to Sosua, then you would see roughly that same percentage on flights coming into POP or STI.

Cause that's the main way to arrive on the island, is by plane, right? But you don't see anywhere near those numbers.

And yes, it will hurt businesses that cater to that type of tourist but it's not going to make Sosua a ghost town. And they will adapt. Do you really think a place like the New Garden will have a hard time adapting to blue-haired couples in their 60's?

YOU missed the point... Sosua only represents a fraction of the arrivals into POP and STI...so the number or "type" of people on those flights does not directly correlate to the percentage of a particular type of tourist for Sosua...

And of course the hotels, restaurants, and bars of Sosua would all gladly "adapt" to blue-haired couples, or any other tourist demographic for that matter...the problem is, WHAT demographic is going to replace the current tourist base of Sosua?

Why will couples, young or old....or families, or anyone else for that matter...suddenly start coming to Sosua for vacation or retirement once Sosua has been "cleaned up"? How is the government, or anyone else, going to transform Sosua into a competitive Caribbean Resort destination...competing with Jamaica, The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, The Virgin Islands, etc?? Sosua...and Puerto Plata for that matter...can't even compete with Bavaro/Punta Cana for "mainstream" tourism dollars....Horse Drawn Carriages?...New Parks?...More Supermarkets?...Botanical Gardens? I don't think so...

Why is it that anyone who questions these Police State-like actions and attitudes here on DR1 labeled a monger or somehow a supporter of prostitution? This is about common sense, basic economic principals, tourism, and the socio-economic realities of life in this particular small sector of the Dominican Republic...

Status
Not open for further replies.