Politicians line up to compete for National District mayor seat

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Agree on Collado, as he represents, along with Faride and Paliza (and C. Mejía, by virtue of her present position, as well as Hipólito's daughter, with her dad being a powerbroker and extremely influential in many internal decisions) the future of the PRM, UNLESS, of course, he (Collado, that is) doesn't switch party allegiance, as some Dominican politicians are wont to do in search of better electoral odds.

Some of the other PRM stalwarts, such as Guido Gómez Mazara, Ramón Alburquerque, and Roberto Furcal may seek nomination but, in my opinion, their chances are slim to none, and Slim just left town.
Isn't Furcal the guy who was fired as Sec of Education or whatever it's called? Or am I thinking of someone else?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Isn't Furcal the guy who was fired as Sec of Education or whatever it's called? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Yes.

Guido was tight with Hipolito when he was president.

A little hot headed though, and once pulled a gun on a crowd for some reason I no longer remember. I think that knocked him out of the inner circle.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Yes.

Guido was tight with Hipolito when he was president.

A little hot headed though, and once pulled a gun on a crowd for some reason I no longer remember. I think that knocked him out of the inner circle.
I think Guido Gómez Mazara is brilliant, but flawed.

He's the "rank outsider" in all of the political organizations to which he has belonged. He was one of the last high-ranking members of the old PRD who switched allegiance to the PRM, and has not been named to any position by the current administration.

Some analysts are fond of saying that Guido works best from the outside.

Reactions: JD Jones

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
My view on politics in this country is much less to do with personalities and popularity. I believe the three main problems that must be tackled in the DR are
1 the alleviation of poverty
2 the improvement in education
3 the improvement in the entire law and order system
In my 30 years here I have seen no President who has made any significant progress in these three areas. I have some admiration for Leonel because he steered the country through some very difficult world wide economic times and he also was the first President to build up the infrastructure in the DR by way of roads and bridges and Zonas Franca. The current President has some very worthwhile plans but so far they are mainly words. Collado is in the same vote. It would be good if we could move away from these political families but the problem here and world wide is that there are very few people of outstanding qualities who wish to put their name forward for a political life.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
My view on politics in this country is much less to do with personalities and popularity. I believe the three main problems that must be tackled in the DR are
1 the alleviation of poverty
2 the improvement in education
3 the improvement in the entire law and order system
In my 30 years here I have seen no President who has made any significant progress in these three areas. I have some admiration for Leonel because he steered the country through some very difficult world wide economic times and he also was the first President to build up the infrastructure in the DR by way of roads and bridges and Zonas Franca. The current President has some very worthwhile plans but so far they are mainly words. Collado is in the same vote. It would be good if we could move away from these political families but the problem here and world wide is that there are very few people of outstanding qualities who wish to put their name forward for a political life.
If they focused just on nr 3 then the other two may follow. It’s really a lawless society. Lawyers just make stuff up. Look at the whole residency discussion in our community. Nobody understands it. I think lawyers must have come up with the residency system. It doesn’t make any sense.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo