Politicians resort to offer meals to entice votes

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don’t know if millennials in the DR had access to the same media as early. I mean them having the same access to tools, apps and information equally to everywhere else. Really it’s just a theory of mine that here it may help them catch up. Kids in the barrios and in the campo. You may phrase it then as they will be equally stupid as American kids haha
Steve Jobs was smart enough not to let his kids have iPhones.
Never have we all been so disconnected.

Reactions: JD Jones

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Potential candidates paying for votes by whatever means is their first step on the road to political corruption. Small wonder they become more corrupt the longer they stay in politics.
Right, but from the moment they're picked as candidates for the party it's not their own money that will spend for votes. All partys collected money for those candidates. In 2012 me and my wife participated in various dinner for collecting money, 500 and more people paying 2000 pesos per person for some meals.
That's millions the partys only collecting this way.

• Wow
Reactions: Ecoman1949

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I would love to see them eliminate the money distributed for elections. It's not chump change, that's for sure.

I think it's 800+ million pesos distributed among the parties based on past voting participation if I'm not mistaken.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Where we live not the current mayor, but the one before him paid the town drunks rum every month while he was in office. never did a darn thing other that that with all the money he got. Had 3 girl friends , maybe a wife, some girl friends got pregnant, and a nice new truck.
Life is good
Very Dominican.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Grandma out in Villa Tapia just received 2 cases of adult diapers, pain medication and will receive a ride to vote. And bags of concrete arrived. They don’t need them but they arrived anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: Ecoman1949

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
In 1974 sleepy little Sajoma would get awakened on weekends with the arrival of long lines of Ejercito Jeeps from the Balaguer campaign. Loud speakers blaring the political messages. They stopped frequently to hand out sausage, rice, and nice, crisp, recently minted fresh U.S. one dollar bills. It's in their DNA. Farmer

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
In 1974 sleepy little Sajoma would get awakened on weekends with the arrival of long lines of Ejercito Jeeps from the Balaguer campaign. Loud speakers blaring the political messages. They stopped frequently to hand out sausage, rice, and nice, crisp, recently minted fresh U.S. one dollar bills. It's in their DNA. Farmer
Do they still believe in the US dollar liked they used to ?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I would love to see them eliminate the money distributed for elections. It's not chump change, that's for sure.

I think it's 800+ million pesos distributed among the parties based on past voting participation if I'm not mistaken.
If it doesn't come from tax revenue then why do you want to stop the ferris-wheel for das einfache volk