POP Puntilla Ampitheater

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So people will need to walk past the Power Plant to get to the Puntilla....how nice..... and safe....fail...sigh !

i think it's not bad. there is no room to create ample parking any closer. put few cops/cestur to patrol this short stretch during events and voila.
but this parking is also destined fo the visitors in the city centre and that means cruising avendida caamano and that's just not particularly safe. unless they do a pedestrian bridge or put traffic lights there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i went to see the place briefly today.

you can enter the area in a car, through the back, as it was already possible before, passing next to coraaplata water storage. the street inside the "park" is narrow, two cars can barely pass each other. there is limited parking available. not sure this would be available or even realistic for any kinds of event. i mean, look how much of a mess is entrance to la sirena. but yeah, artists, equipment and VIPs can be delivered to the bottom of the staircase leading to the amphitheater.

the first thing you see after entering the gate is that no money was spend on the gate/wall. this gets worse as you drive on with derelict buildings to the left, formerly bellas artes. beautiful old structure, completely untouched during the renovations. real shame, the building would make nice restaurant/bar area.

the amphitheater itself is really beautiful. stunning views. lack of attention to detail is seen, tho. the staircase leading to the place is part cement, part gravel, i don't see it lasting in hard rains. there are no rubbish bins so trash everywhere. faro (lighthouse) has not been fixed/renovated either.

the most annoying thing was buzos. as you enter a bunch of folks tries to direct you to parking and asks money to look after the car. miesposo did not get out of the car at all, he dropped me off, turned around and picked me up again, few minutes later. that was enough for a scruffy looking guy to bang on the car as we drove off demanding money for "taking care of it". wtf.

good intentions. poor execution. errede at its best.

8wfalz.jpg

detailed report on "inauguration" with more photos here:
http://endominicana.net.do/2016/07/...a-en-puerto-plata-sin-estar-terminado-questo/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ampitheater is being destroyed

Newly opened amphitheater and coastal park of La Puntilla (Puerto Plata) is being destroyed

PUERTO PLATA ? Although it was inaugurated on July 15th, 2016 ?with a big fanfare? by President Danilo Medina, the zone called ?amphitheater? and the coastal park of La Puntilla on the boardwalk of Puerto Plata ​​has been completely abandoned and left to the mercy of unscrupulous people.

For several weeks, dozens of citizens have been pointing out the reckless actions being done at the place ? the circulation of motorcycles, pasolas, and bicycles that jeopardize the safety of people, but the authorities and the Ministry of Tourism are ignoring these facts.

It seems that the controversial and costly project with an original budget of 259 million pesos plus an additional investment that reached over 300 million pesos to construct the area of ​​877,000 square meters, with bleachers wood of 315 square meters with capacity for more than 4,000 people, has simply been left to fend and not taking into account the hefty financial investment it had on the Dominican State.

Similarly, the views of citizens are widely expressed through social networks. For example, a young Clara De Leon said: ?Here everything is done and no authority?s monitoring the area ? No respect and things are not valued.?

While the lawyer Christian Borbon said: ?This is the work that costs so many millions ? at least some security cameras should be in place?. Ruth Balbuena said: ?So many millions invested and La Puntilla Seawall Puerto Plata is horribly disfigured?.

Citizen Luci Rijo said: ?It is no secret that in our country it is common to invest people?s money and then leave the projects abandoned? that?s nothing new, and it is sad.?

Airin Tejada Valdez said: ?? who would think to complete a work for presenting art/shows, then inaugurate it, but nothing?s happening after that ? I think out of respect for themselves, before this is destroyed, submit a show for the people of Puerto Plata? at least to justify why it was built ? it is a beautiful work but useless if you do not look after it? .

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

Aug 27, 2016

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unfortunately the news that the amphitheater area is already being destroyed is not surprising.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a little update:
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=23654
the article says that amphitheater was privatized and will be used by lifestyle.

interesting turn of events, if true. it's gonna be lots of work to transfer large number of guests safely and quickly from cofresi to puntilla and back. and that's gonna seriously fcuk up the traffic along manolo tavarez justo. on the upside, lifestyle means money and maintenance.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lifestyles sure has a "hold" on the north coast, eh? It will be interesting to see if the "money can be followed" that allowed this take over to happen.

As for providing a large number of attendees to events/concerts from their resorts in Cofresi, Cabarete, etc., how many are really going to take such trips to bake in the sun? As pointed out the positive aspect is that maintenance a supervision of the location as well as improvements might actually happen instead of a decay into disrepair.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
their regular hotel events are in the evenings, sun is not a problem.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Lifestyles sure has a "hold" on the north coast, eh? It will be interesting to see if the "money can be followed" that allowed this take over to happen.

As for providing a large number of attendees to events/concerts from their resorts in Cofresi, Cabarete, etc., how many are really going to take such trips to bake in the sun? As pointed out the positive aspect is that maintenance a supervision of the location as well as improvements might actually happen instead of a decay into disrepair.

What does Lifestyles have to do with this project??? Please enlighten me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
a little update:
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=23654
the article says that amphitheater was privatized and will be used by lifestyle.

interesting turn of events, if true. it's gonna be lots of work to transfer large number of guests safely and quickly from cofresi to puntilla and back. and that's gonna seriously fcuk up the traffic along manolo tavarez justo. on the upside, lifestyle means money and maintenance.

What does Lifestyles have to do with this project??? Please enlighten me
See dv8's post on how Lifestyles privatized the ampitheater. Apparently the natives are restless on how this came about. Follow the $$$$.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
I went to the inauguration yesterday and I must say it was pretty impressive. 
The organisation was really good, smooth entry, easy access to the restrooms, easy to get food and drinks. A lot of leg-space. 
And the view is beautiful, even at night, with the lighthouse and statue and everything with lights. 
Every singer sang like 4 songs and at the end there was a surprise act of Mozart La Para. It ended at 2 am. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the fireworks at the end totally spooked our pom and gave her a bark attack. she's used to hearing them from lifestyle but these went off in the middle of the night. very loud too. must have been a pretty sight. shame i'm so old and i go to bed before 11 pm.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I went to the inauguration yesterday and I must say it was pretty impressive. 
The organisation was really good, smooth entry, easy access to the restrooms, easy to get food and drinks. A lot of leg-space. 
And the view is beautiful, even at night, with the lighthouse and statue and everything with lights. 
Every singer sang like 4 songs and at the end there was a surprise act of Mozart La Para. It ended at 2 am. 

It saddens me to think that somebody like Mozart La Para is the highlight of the evening....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mozart la para beats those bachata singing old farts by a mile. i love him.