Possible short-term fuel shortages

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mirador said:
Whatever reason the person who has started this thread may have, announcing an upcoming fuel shortage will only provoke a run on gas stations. In my book, that is as unethetical as provoking a run on a particular bank by announcing a credit crunch. In the end, the purpose is to favor a few as opposed to the many.

Mirador

It was good seeing you at the Texaco this afternoon, your looking thinner...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mirador said:
Whatever reason the person who has started this thread may have, announcing an upcoming fuel shortage will only provoke a run on gas stations. In my book, that is as unethetical as provoking a run on a particular bank by announcing a credit crunch. In the end, the purpose is to favor a few as opposed to the many.

Mirador
Well my friend, sorry your panties are tied up in a bunch but I filled my car up because of this and I thank him for updating us on this board to possible problems I can avoid with a little info. He has been a terrific help to me in the past and cherrish his info now and in the future.

So go piss in the wind instead! LOL

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Lucky us...

Mirador said:

Mirador
The OP's post does favor DR1ers, in that we get the info that others may not.
If it is unethical, then it would also be unethical to advise us of an impending hurricane or tsunami, as it would also favor us DR1ers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please alow me to

Reconfirm this news. I was just informed that the ship that was due to arrive was turned around and sent elsewhaere. Apparently there is a lack of funds at the refinery.

The OP was right on. The shipwas supposed to be here on Saturday.

No run cause the story has not hit the news, YET. But wait until it does and you are SOL!

HB :D:D

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is just a thought; I am aware of some market behavior of when a petroleum ship is dispatched the ownership and the price of the cargo may change several times. Could it be with yesterday's price of crude oil surpassing US$ 51 a barrel, somebody outbid the RD for that ship?

Yet, wasn't the D.R. given credit and a set price with Chavez for its oil shipments coming out of Venezuela?

Regards,
PJT

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have met Greg on a couple of occasions - he is one of those people you TRUST at first sight & your trust is NEVER misplaced!! His knowledge of his industry & the pre warnings he gives to DR1'ers is GREATLY appreciated by those of us who use our vehicles to get around the north coast rather than using our over large mouths filled with hot air!!

As others have suggested here, please check the PROFILES of people before responding with stupid accusations just because you want 3 minutes of fame (actually it's notoriity - not fame). I live nowhere near Greg's Coastal gas station but take his advice seriously every time I see his posts. Thanks Greg - keep up the good advices please!! ~ Grahame.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Texas Bill said:
I, for one, appreciate any and all advanced information! It's like being an "insider" trader. if one doesn't take advantage of available information, one often finds oneself with the rear-end exposed to the COLD!!!

Texs Bill

Does this mean if we buy gas we could end up sharing a cell with Martha Stewart? :eek:

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Ship still hasn't arrived

Unfortunately, as of 11:00 am today, the much-awaited fuel ship still has still not arrived. Gas stations are receiving fuel, but in limited amounts. If you are travelling or depending upon fuel for power, please plan accordingly as spot shortages are beginning to occur. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon and I will continue to post relevant information.

Greg
(" favoring the few as opposed to the many", Mirador, 2005)

P.S. A special thanks to Mirador who posts have provided a much needed comic relief in a busy schedule.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
WTI trading @ $51.70/BBL.
This weeks EIA petroleum data is due out in 15 minutes, so let's see if there is a "shortage"!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Coastal said:
Unfortunately, as of 11:00 am today, the much-awaited fuel ship still has still not arrived. Gas stations are receiving fuel, but in limited amounts. If you are travelling or depending upon fuel for power, please plan accordingly as spot shortages are beginning to occur. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon and I will continue to post relevant information.

Greg
(" favoring the few as opposed to the many", Mirador, 2005)

P.S. A special thanks to Mirador who posts have provided a much needed comic relief in a busy schedule.

Well, the news HAD broken in Puerto Plata this morning, one of those rare days when I was on the road by 7.30 am. You just knew it when you saw the amount of business the first 2 petrol stations were doing & it was confirmed by the pump attendant at Isla, who is a friend, & who volunteered the info.

So let me add my thanks, too, Coastal, or may I call you Correct Coastal, since we have never known you to be incorrect. And to anyone who didn't engage brain before opening mouth.......I think an apology to Coastal would be in order, so that sniping may cease & everyone can join the lines at the gas stations!

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Mirador said:

Mirador

I see you remain faithful to you principle, you stayed home the day they announced a brain shortage. You were right, no need to hurry. As a French humorist said "Intelligence is the best reparted think on earth:everyone believes he has enough to judge the others".
When I have the choice between being in the happy few rather than in the sad mass, well, guess what ?
We live in a country where one has to learn how to defend oneself and too bad for the others. I don't meant I don't care other people, but if I can have an information that might help me, it would be rather stupid not to use it.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
El Neptuno tried to buy 200 gallons of diesel yesterday for the generator. None of the suppliers that were contacted had fuel to sell; all were waiting and hoping.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
I still don't have any additional information.

But when I do have, I will post it asap. BTW, regular and premium gas only went up .50 centavos which is essentially a non-increase; diesel however went up 3.80. If this was being based on fuel prices, one would expect a large across the board increase. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Greg

Gringoloco

Feb 10, 2005
Coastal said:
But when I do have, I will post it asap. BTW, regular and premium gas only went up .50 centavos which is essentially a non-increase; diesel however went up 3.80. If this was being based on fuel prices, one would expect a large across the board increase. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Greg

I paid 2.60 per gallon of diesel (Mobil 2+) yesterday in NYC and I thought that was a rip. 3.80 per gallon? WOW!

Last edited:

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Sorry Mr. Loco, I guess I didn't make that very clear!

Gringoloco said:
I paid 2.60 per gallon of diesel (Mobil 2+) yesterday in NYC and I thought that was a rip. 3.80 per gallon? WOW!

I was speaking of prices in Pesos RD. So, in usd, the diesel went up about 12 to 13 cents a gallon, bringing the total price per gallon to $ 2.28 usd per gallon (depending on your exchange rate, I used 30 RD/1USD). I find you post enlighting however, as I often hear folks from the US complaining that the prices here are much higher than the US.