Possible short-term fuel shortages

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
For some strange reason, in many places in the US diesel is actually more expensive than regular gas. In my town by about 20 cents a gallon. Exactly the opposite of the DR. I would think it should be cheaper. I'm no petrochemical expert, but isn't diesel a less refined product?

Gringoloco

Feb 10, 2005
sweetdbt said:
For some strange reason, in many places in the US diesel is actually more expensive than regular gas. In my town by about 20 cents a gallon. Exactly the opposite of the DR. I would think it should be cheaper. I'm no petrochemical expert, but isn't diesel a less refined product?

This is true...a strange phenoemenon is that diesel is much more expensive than reg unleaded. Regular unleaded has been hovering right around 1.99 per gallon to the extent that Ive noticed it.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Puerto Plata - 1march05 - Dry! Dry! Dry!

I visited 6 gas stations in POP this PM, roughly 2:00 PM on. Deisel? 0 for 6! Premium gasoline? 2 for 6! Regular gas 0 for 6! Coastal, we all owe you a vote of thanks. Have you considered going into business as a fortunte teller? A geologist? * A Metro? In Santo Domingo? When this gov't cant even keep the population supplied with gasoline & diesel?
* I don't think we can blame this 1 on Hipolito.
* Perhaps Pres. Leonel should sip the visits to the USA & Spain; then, vist Saudi Arabia instead? Food for thought.
* Sincere thanks to Coastal. Hereby nominated for DR1 'Man of the Year'! Any seconds to my nomination.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
T. Boone Fernandez is at it again!

I would be curious where Leonel unwound his $40/BBL futures hedge from last year that he put on with his pal Hugo in Venezuela. This was right after the election.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Sincere thanks to Coastal. Hereby nominated for DR1 'Man of the Year'! Any seconds to my nomination.

Man of the year? for his not-so-subtle advertisement for his gas station in Sosua? You obviously must be getting good credit from Coastal.

Mirador

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mirador said:
Man of the year? for his not-so-subtle advertisement for his gas station in Sosua? You obviously must be getting good credit from Coastal.

Mirador

Ay ay... what did Greg do to you? Overcharge you on two bananas? We looked for Diesel this past Saturday morning at 5 gas stations... at the 5th one, up in the mountains, we found some.

I'll second Man of the Month! Of the year? I don't know, I think the year is young yet... ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
Ay ay... what did Greg do to you? Overcharge you on two bananas? We looked for Diesel this past Saturday morning at 5 gas stations... at the 5th one, up in the mountains, we found some.

I'll second Man of the Month! Of the year? I don't know, I think the year is young yet... ;)
Maybe Mirador doesn't own a car.
I had to put the cheapo gas in the RockyMobile today in Santiago, as I am not letting the gas gauge go below 3/4's before looking for a fill up.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Any educated guesses on how "short term" this will be? I'm arriving in POP Saturday and renting a car. If it's like most of my trips, the tank will NOT be full when I get it. I guess I'll stop at every station starting at the airport and fill up at the first one that has gas.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Mirador said:

Mirador
He never suggested anyone to fill up at his station, nor did he say there would be gas there when the other stations had none. The advertisement must be INCREDIBLY subtle cause I missed it.

BTW, we did a lot of shopping at the supermarket and filled up there all the time we spent in the north coast. Not a bad thing to say. Good job Gregg.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rocky said:
Maybe Mirador doesn't own a car.
I had to put the cheapo gas in the RockyMobile today in Santiago, as I am not letting the gas gauge go below 3/4's before looking for a fill up.

He/She does not need to own a car to be overcharged on two bananas... I'm sure that is what it was... or something similarly benign.... The thought of it.. Coastal having to 'create' a 'scare' to improve its cashflow or something. Oh man! This is a good business. They've done it right! They don't need to do anything silly to improve their position. They are number one - and will stay this way - as long as the Gringo Coast (ah, I'm sorry, the North Coast) stays the way it is.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
SPM, Boca Chica and Juan Dolio , are dry

NO GASOLINE !!

1 pump in SPM had a bit today, but went dry as well in the afternoon

rectification:
at 22:30 a small gasoline supply was deliverd at the shell in Juan Dolio
(That will save our day tomorrow)

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mirador said:

Mirador
Are you really that dense or just a dope? When I met you we didn't have one damn thing in common and it seems that you are not any better off with anyone else here.

Keep pissing into the wind dopey!

I Get GREAT CREDIT at Coastal btw for dealing with twits for him. Please put another 10 bux on my account Gregg!

Escott

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
sweetdbt said:
Any educated guesses on how "short term" this will be? I'm arriving in POP Saturday and renting a car. If it's like most of my trips, the tank will NOT be full when I get it. I guess I'll stop at every station starting at the airport and fill up at the first one that has gas.

The REFIDOMSA President said yesterday that the 'phantom' ship is due to dock in early hours of Wednesday morning.......you remember, the one looming out of the fog! We shall see. Then they have to offload & fill tankers, that is assuming it is arriving as usable & not as crude & needing refining. Then they have to fill transporter vehicles because they'll be dry by then.......so keep reading the papers. At least you have a few days in hand. The 'other' side of Puerto Plata from gringosabroso is getting some deliveries, albeit not the full amount.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
when your on the money.......

Coastal you where on the money !!!!! I should have took action then, now I am paying the price.......

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Sweetheart deal

Whatever happen to the sweetheart deal the DR was supposed to be getting from Hugo in Venezuela? Maybe he's sending oil to Houston to be refined. Another screwy deal of some sort. I'm sure Leonel will get this all straightened out in Chicago or whereever he's going.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Remember that deal?
Leonel was long a bunch of Crude at $40/bbl last September.
I suppose he sold it to the oil companies at over $50!
This guy is a regular T. Boone Pickens.

Inventory data out in 10 minutes.
WTI trading @ $51.75.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Nada at Coastal at 6.30 pm but Gregg and Robert (obviously moonlighting) were awaiting a delivery tonight.

Texaco in Cabarete has everything. (but it is watered down ;)

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
April 2005 Crude Oil

$53.10>>>>This represents a 10% increase in the price of crude in 14 days.